Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Supports

On 27 Nov, 00:03, archie wrote:

So if anybody has any ideas for supports they'd like to see I'm all
ears! Thanks for taking the time to read this at any rate.

I think that the ones I have seen in the garden centre are doomed to
fail below ground because of corrosion. I would suggest putting a
fairly large disk on each leg to control the insertion depth, and then
having the part below powder coated. If that is too expensive,
consider painting the lower part with hammerite, then covering with
glue-lined heat shrink tubing.

There is a lot of me-too design about, with one thing looking like
another. I'd quite like something ultra-modern and unique, were I to
buy another. We have a spiral cone with honeysuckle up it at the
moment.

Most seem to be no more than 2m high, and I'd like some 50% taller.
There is a fear of the planning regulations, but as far as I am aware
sculpture is not a structure.

I loved the victorian arches with gas lamps flushed into the shape at
the top. A modern equivalent of that might be fun - or something with
concealled lighting all the way up to light plants up from the inside.

Something like a central trunk, with baskets arranged around the
outside (hanging baskets that don't hang) might be fun. You could
incorporate the watering pipes into the structure, for more added
value.

A giant copper lilly, with long metal leaves, might be striking.
Again, the flower could perhaps be a lamp, or contain tiny baskets
for planting into. Tiny copper bluebells, with LED lighting inside,
designed to be "planted" along a path.

How about a complete summerhouse, that would be rendered wind-and-
waterproof by whatever was grown up it?

Oh, and don't forget that the topiary merchants tend to use wire
armatures to make a chicken or a poodle or a peacock appear more
rapidly. You might be able to sell a few of those.

Mossballs. Very posh gardens have mossballs with tiny plants planted
into them. How about mathematical designs: mossDoecahedrons, anyone?

Hope these ideas are helpful.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to get onto urg

On Dec 1, 11:22 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 10:44:18 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--
Kay

Pete, as you know Kay, is a long time poster, I have always found him
having enormous respect for posters and also patience with some, such
as me, who show their ignorance, as I do, many times over! He still
puts me right, but always in a very gentle way :-) Now off topic I
have just arrived home to snow! I forgot to bring in my Oleander, the
one in the huge pot that I posted on last year, I only hope it will be
o.k. any advice Kay?

You missed the context, Judith.

We have geraniums that have survived several hard frosts and being buried in
snow twice in one week. Snow drops are in flower, but not in our garden yet.
--

Martin

I frequently miss the context Martin but Kay is a friend and will make
allowances for that :-)

Thanks for the advice, lets hope my Oleander survives. Are you back
for a while now?

Judith
Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--
Kay

Pete, as you know Kay, is a long time poster, I have always found him
having enormous respect for posters and also patience with some, such
as me, who show their ignorance, as I do, many times over! He still
puts me right, but always in a very gentle way :-) Now off topic I
have just arrived home to snow! I forgot to bring in my Oleander, the
one in the huge pot that I posted on last year, I only hope it will be
o.k. any advice Kay?

Spray it all over with room temperature water, let drain, bring in

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--
Kay

Pete, as you know Kay, is a long time poster, I have always found him
having enormous respect for posters and also patience with some, such
as me, who show their ignorance, as I do, many times over! He still
puts me right, but always in a very gentle way :-) Now off topic I
have just arrived home to snow! I forgot to bring in my Oleander, the
one in the huge pot that I posted on last year, I only hope it will be
o.k. any advice Kay?

Spray it all over with room temperature water, let drain, bring in

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Thank you it is now in and it looks fine, now I just have to resist
giving it a drink as it likes little water until April.

Judith