Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cloche type thingy

--
..
"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
writes

Many thanks Mike ........ this is the basic thing. All I need to do is to
mount it on a wood framed base and sit it on top of (half of) one of the 5
raised beds which measure 15' X 4' (built this way as we sit on heavy clay
and it seemed easier to use the old joists from the roof to build these
boxes (we had some building work done) than to chop them up for the
woodburner. That was 5 years ago and they have been most productive ...
but I think one or two of these cloches could be helpful.

Thanks for all the trouble you went to. Very grateful.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

No problem. That's the side of gardening I enjoy :-) Other than that,
concrete it all and paint it green ;-)

Mike

Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , George.com
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

Some may recall that on Gardeners World about 2 months or so ago, Toby
Wossisname made a type of cloche using flexible blue water pipe to form
the ribs of a very useful looking cloche - perfect for raised beds such
as I have for vegetable growing. I have acquired the piping and have
more than enough wood for the lower frame but am finding it rather
difficult to get hold of the strong plastic cover. Ironically when we
moved to our current home there was an ageing poly tunnel which I sold
to (ironically) the estate agent through whom we bought the house.

Does anyone have an idea as to the gauge of plastic necessary for such a
job. I want to make 3 of these cloches and while the ground is so wet I
could get on with making them - if only I knew what to buy in the way of
plastic sheeting.

I also tried to review the programme through the BBC I-player but it
seems to be past its sell by date now. Any help or advice very welcome.

Thanks.

a website with pictures and plans (that cost) if you want them. I did
without the plans.
rob
http://www.eartheasy.com/cloche.htm

That's the sort of thing .... a bit smaller than I want ... and it has
handles, very posh :-))

Now I think I have the info and direction I need.

Many thanks

I made one but didn't bother with the wooden uprights up rights. I simply
hammered together some old 4 x 2 into a rectangle, put a cross member at the
middle of the rectangle, drilled holes either side to ran the plastic hose
pipe in to & bent the pipe over in a "U" shape. All the bits cost me less
than $10. Plastic was whatever I had lying around, though it did deteriorate
after 12-18 months. Not uv stable.

Now however, here is the stunningly clever bit on my part. I do not bother
with any fancy fastening system for the plastic. If I want to secure the
plastic to the plastic pipe I use some of these:
http://www.godfrey-diy.co.uk/ironmon...m29004300.html
Spring tool clips. I simply leave the plastic a bit baggy & clip it down
with the spring clip. I can clip the plastic to any position on the pipes I
want. Stunningly simple by clever. And I thought of it all by myself.

rob

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , George.com
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

snip

http://www.godfrey-diy.co.uk/ironmon...-large/item290
04300.html
Spring tool clips. I simply leave the plastic a bit baggy & clip it
down with the spring clip. I can clip the plastic to any position on
the pipes I want. Stunningly simple by clever. And I thought of it all
by myself.

rob

Excellent! And I don't have to swing through Auckland to pick them up.
Who said the age of invention was dead :-))

Thanks again!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!