Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cloche type thingy

Hello all,

Some may recall that on Gardeners World about 2 months or so ago, Toby
Wossisname made a type of cloche using flexible blue water pipe to form
the ribs of a very useful looking cloche - perfect for raised beds such
as I have for vegetable growing. I have acquired the piping and have
more than enough wood for the lower frame but am finding it rather
difficult to get hold of the strong plastic cover. Ironically when we
moved to our current home there was an ageing poly tunnel which I sold
to (ironically) the estate agent through whom we bought the house.

Does anyone have an idea as to the gauge of plastic necessary for such a
job. I want to make 3 of these cloches and while the ground is so wet I
could get on with making them - if only I knew what to buy in the way of
plastic sheeting.

I also tried to review the programme through the BBC I-player but it
seems to be past its sell by date now. Any help or advice very welcome.

Thanks.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Gopher" wrote in message
news
[...]

Unable to help with exact answers, but http://www.plasticsbypost.net/ might
help with the plastic when you find what you want. They are very close to me
(walking distance to the garage a few doors away who did my MOT yesterday
......... that close) so if you want me to go and 'feel anything', give me a
shout.

Mike

Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:15:26 +0000, Gopher wrote:

[...]

You might be able to find it here
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...ry/garden-diy/

Many thanks Martin .... I've trawled through all 268 projects/tips etc.
but can't find it. But I _did_ find all kinds of useful things so have
bookmarked the site.

Thanks again.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

Many thanks Mike. I hope it won't be necessary to bug you but I do
appreciate the offer.

Cheers!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
writes

Many thanks Mike. I hope it won't be necessary to bug you but I do
appreciate the offer.

Cheers!
--

Gopher .... I know my place!

Many garden centres stock meter wide medium gauge poly on the roll that
would be suitable for your purpose.
About £5 per meter length.

I got some recently from

http://www.stapeleywg.com/

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Pete Stockdale" contains these words:

Many garden centres stock meter wide medium gauge poly on the roll that
would be suitable for your purpose.
About £5 per meter length.

That sounds exorbitant in the extreme - I got enough to cover my
greenhouse for not much more than that.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Try www.plasticsbypost.net They are in the IOW but I dealt with them
some years ago and they were OK.
You need it to be more than 1m wide though, don't you?
I made one when Geoff Hamilton originally made them. I still have the
piping. It's had all sorts of uses over the years. (builders'
merchants)

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:42:48 +0000, Gopher wrote:

[...]

Me too, towards the end I couldn't recall what I was looking for.

Why isn't it in there?

Don't know..... I would have thought it would be somewhere among all the
info. Will have another look tomorrow but I think I know the basic
details of how to make it. It's just the plastic that's the question.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
[...]

Thanks to all for the help & suggestions. I have the piping left over
from the building of our new village hall in which I was involved.
Unfortunately the roof is slate and the walls stone so no suitable
plastic left around :-))

Thanks again!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

a website with pictures and plans (that cost) if you want them. I did
without the plans.
rob
http://www.eartheasy.com/cloche.htm

Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , George.com
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

That's the sort of thing .... a bit smaller than I want ... and it has
handles, very posh :-))

Now I think I have the info and direction I need.

Many thanks

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

This is a copy of one done by Geoff Hamilton and is in one of his books. I
have scanned it and put it on my photo site, but it won't go public for all
to see.
However the plastic looks very thin, he doesn't state the gauge. I will take
the book into plastics by post and see what they recommend and get details
for you. If you want a scan of the page, email me and I will forward it. all
lower case MiKeATrNeBa.Org.uk

Mike

Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 21:23:39 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from "Pete Stockdale" contains these words:

Many garden centres stock meter wide medium gauge poly on the roll that
would be suitable for your purpose.
About £5 per meter length.

That sounds exorbitant in the extreme - I got enough to cover my
greenhouse for not much more than that.

How big is your greenhouse?

Lean-to, beside garage, base (so, roof) about 8 ft × 13 ft
Long side, 13 ft × 7 ft
Short side, 8 ft × (8 ft, dropping to 7 ft.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

I am led to believe that this http://www.myalbum.com/Photo-HWOU6QQX.jpg will
take you there

Fingers crossed

Mike

Old 10-12-2008, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

Many thanks Mike ........ this is the basic thing. All I need to do is
to mount it on a wood framed base and sit it on top of (half of) one of
the 5 raised beds which measure 15' X 4' (built this way as we sit on
heavy clay and it seemed easier to use the old joists from the roof to
build these boxes (we had some building work done) than to chop them up
for the woodburner. That was 5 years ago and they have been most
productive ... but I think one or two of these cloches could be helpful.

Thanks for all the trouble you went to. Very grateful.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!