Old 01-01-2009, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default NYD plant count reminder

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Spider wrote

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

On high ground in SE London:

a perfectly astonishing quantity of flowering stuff

In another highish bit of SE London we've got several very ordinary but
startlingly red cyclamen (Persicum? I'm afraid I bought them in Lewisham
market, and they don't go in much for the Latin) and a solitary surprised
pink, together with a lot of frozen rosebuds. Whereabouts are you,
Spider? We're in Blackheath.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot
org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Sorry, Kate, I forgot to comment on your Cyclamen. It certainly does sound
like a persicum type. I don't know of another cyclamen which produces red
flowers. The flowers of persicum types also tend to be larger - although
not all of them as large as the 'Christmas' houseplant forms.

Spider

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:28:54 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

allthough we have had a burst
pipe (outside) because I forgot to drain the outside down.

Snap Charlie! The same happened here.

All I have in flower is winter jasmine, ipheon, cyclamen (coum or
persicum) and lonicera fragrantissima, though the latter is not very
fragrant; it needs some sun. Likewise the sarcococca. I must walk
past it. It should be flowering soon.

Janet Conroy, where on earth do you live?

I heard on our local news today that a guy in Thornbury, S. Glos, has
daffodils in bloom in his garden!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Spider wrote

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

These flowers are a little bit larger than the wild ones, but not huge.
They have a sweet scent - some of these started indoors last year and
were planted out later, and at least one started off bright red and has
reverted to pink.

Oh, and I forgot a yellow jasmine, going great guns.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Spider wrote

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The latter is bound to be Jasminum nudiflorum. Pity they're not scented.
I'd love to get the summer-flowering yellow jasmine, but I can't recall its
name. It's on my wish list.

Spider

Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes
I'd love to get the summer-flowering yellow jasmine, but I can't recall
its name.

A summer-flowering yellow jasmine is Jasminum humile. There may well be
more.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message , Spider
writes
I'd love to get the summer-flowering yellow jasmine, but I can't recall
its name.

A summer-flowering yellow jasmine is Jasminum humile. There may well be
more.

Jasmine humile 'Revelutum' (you hardly ever see the straight species as
its not so tough)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;826542']On 1/1/09 23:36, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
-
In article ,
says...-
I'm amazed at Charlie's Clianthus and Polygala but he's in the
tropics
compared to most! ;-))
Any more?

-
I am amazed at the Clianthus as well, I grew it from seed, planted it
last January on the new wall, noticed the buds in September and its
been
flowering ever since, I thought they were a May June event, perhaps
it
will settle down as it gets older. The Polygala flowered all winter
last
year and just as I was feeling smug that nasty frost on the 4th April
killed it stone dead! (so this is me trying again under the false
hope
that we wouldn't have two cold years in a row!!)-

We bring the Polygala out in summer but put it back in autumn. It
just
wouldn't go through winter here, I'm sure. We've had no really hard
frost
yet ut I think it can only be a matter of time. Heaven knows what Feb
will
bring!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Pam: I'm in Southport. The temps haven't staggered above freezing for
several days now.

Is it not unusual to have it so cold in Southport? I know you are away
north of here but you are near the sea. (its pretty chilly here too but
at or just above freezing not below)

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
In message , Spider
writes
I'd love to get the summer-flowering yellow jasmine, but I can't recall
its name.

A summer-flowering yellow jasmine is Jasminum humile. There may well be
more.

Jasmine humile 'Revelutum' (you hardly ever see the straight species as
its not so tough)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Thanks Stewart and Charlie; both are familiar, but I probably need the
J.h.'Revelutum' where I am, so I'll do some reading. Ta so much.

Spider

Old 02-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Registered User

Charlie: yes it is. The NW seems to be getting the worst of the cold weather at the moment (apart from the Scottish Highlands). I remember the 62/63 winter when the foreshore and Marine Lake (which is seawater) both froze. We're almost there at the moment. It hit 2C today, but the pond ice is still as thick. Several plants that sailed thro last winter look to have given up the ghost.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

The best I can offer is vinca major and mahonia aquifolium..

Tina

Really meant to this but the kitchen ceiling fell in so I had other stuffy
on my mind and almost on my head :-)

kate

Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

The best I can offer is vinca major and mahonia aquifolium..

Tina

Really meant to this but the kitchen ceiling fell in so I had other stuffy
on my mind and almost on my head :-)

kate
Kate: we came back from a 3 week camping holiday in 2004 and the same thing had happened to us, plus there was 3 inches of water in the cellars. I hope your insurance company are as good as ours were - they paid out for damaged household items and water damage to kitchen units etc without question and also organised the renewal of the ceiling, plastering, electrics, decorating, replacement of radiators without a hiccup. In fact the kitchen was more presentable (and saleable a couple of years later) than before.