Old 31-12-2008, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default NYD plant count reminder

So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-12-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be out there counting ... but not until I've
had tea in bed.
Happy New Year.

Spider

Old 01-01-2009, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/08 22:20, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be out there counting ... but not until I've
had tea in bed.
Happy New Year.

Spider

Wimp!
Okay, you grab your torch I'll grab mine. Zzzzzzzzzz otoh, I'll see you
later. ;-) We stayed awake because we knew the 'children' would ring us
and I'm happy to say that they did. Now, along with their permission, we're
off to the Land of Nod. ;-) Happy 2009 everyone. I do hope very
sincerely, that it is a good year for everyone, rich in health and
contentment.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

Happy New Year to you all.
Here is my list for 1st January 2009, all out doors. Rather surprised
there is as much as its been cold and I do not plant stuff for this time
of year, also surprising is what is not on the list - no snowdrops,
daffodils, celandines, and even Camellia St Ewe is still in tight bud

Abutilons - megapotamicum, milleri, Kentish Belle, Wisley Red and Nabob.
Acacia retonoides (been flowering since July)
Berberis dawinii
Buddleja salvifolia Alba
Clematis - cirrhosa balearica, Freckles, fasiculiflora, and a late flower
on John Warren!
Clianthus puniceus (this is lagged in bright red flowers)
Coronilla valentina (looking and smelling lovely)
Correas - alba and harrisii
Cytisus Porlock
Chaenomeles Crimson and Gold
Cyclamen coum album
Delairea oderata (Wafting the marzipan scent each time the sun comes out)
Escallonia Golden Brian
Fuchsia magellanica
Garrya elliptica
Helleborous various hybrids plus x sternii, argutifolius, and foetidus
Iris stylosa (they have changed its name but I prefer the old one!)
Isoplexis canariensis (still a few flowers - it started end of May)
Lapageria rosea (several)
Lavatera maritima
Lonicera x pupusii
Mahonia x media
Pandorea jasminoides Rosea superba (still opening flowers whenever the
sun comes out)
Pandorea Golden Showers
Perennial Stocks
Phlomis fruiticosa
Polygala
Primrose (just one flower!)
Roses, Bonica, Cornellia, Fiona, Alberic Barbier, Francoise Juranville
Rosemarinus Severn Seas
Salvia guaranitica Black & Blue
Senna corymbosa (tail end now and its not enjoying the cold)
Solanum laxum Album
Sollya heterophylla
Symphytum ibericum
Viburnum x bodentense Dawn
Vincas - majus variegata, difformis alba, & Jenny Pimm

Garden still looks a bit tatty and bleak from the windows!!

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered User

[quote='Charlie Pridham[_2_];826470']In article ,
says...
[...]

Right, that's it, I'm feeling totally inadequate. Two inches of ice on the pond today.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

Roses, periwinkle, daffodil, polyanthus, fuchsias, camellia Inspiration and
the autumn one, hellebore...not sure which exact types of most. Other
Camellias showing colour.
Happy New Year

Robert
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

On high ground in SE London:

Marguerite, cover'd in yellow flowers.
Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve', many buds, one flower.
Hebes 'Purple Emperor', 'Gloriosa', 'Nicola's Blush', 'Midsummer Beauty',
'Purple Picture', plus one purple seedling - all with some flower,
'Gloriosa' lots of flower, but not enjoying frost.
Cyclamen coum, few crimson buds; Cyclamen persicum, 5 coral pink flowers
(slightly sheltered pot culture).
Fuchsias 'Rufus the Red', Lady Boothby, Mrs Popple, magellenica - scattered
flowers and buds; not enjoying frost.
Jasminum nudiflorum and polyanthum, in flower plus many buds.
Rosmarinus prostrata 'Severn Seas', many flowers
Erigeron karvinskianus, many white flowers.
Chaenomeles 'Red and Gold', many *just* colouring buds; C. 'Geisha Girl',
tight buds only.
Veronica prostrata 'Georgia Blue', one perfect flower.
Sarcocca, many pink buds.
Laurus nobilis, very many buds (west side of tree most advanced).
Vinca minor, dense apical bud growth with one clear flower bud.
Rhodo/Azaleas, 'Vinecourt Dream', 'Ptarmigan', cilipinense - in bud only
Helleborus argutifolius, (lenten) hybrids, lividus, double-flower-type -
many buds, some more advanced.
Mahonia japonica, many lovely, scented flowers.
Pieris, many buds.
Sophora microplylla, many compact buds.
Exochorda macrantha 'The Bride', scattered tight green buds.
Pelargonium (zonal), scarlet flowers and buds - in open porch.
Primulas inc. vulgaris, few flowers.
Roses nozomi, 'The Fairy', 'Audrey Wilcox - few buds and scattered haws.
Pyracantha 'Orange Glow', 4 large panicles of bud with some scattered
flowers.
Lavatera rosea sport, 2 frosted flowers, 1 coloured bud.

also, there were berries on:
Pyracantha, Cotoneaster (lacteus and horizontalis), Fatshedhera, Ilex
'Golden King', Roses 'The Fairy', 'Ballerina' and moyesii 'Geranium'.

plus, bark colour on Betula pendula purpurea and Cornus alba 'Sibirica'.
Glancing around, I could also see many flowers on a neighbour's Coronilla
(no, I'm not cheating! It's not in my garden, but I add it for the
phenologically aware!

Chilly Spider
Wishing everyone a happy and blooming new year.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

Bergenia (old fashioned type)
Zonal Pelagonium "Doris Moore" (amazingly)
Osteospermum (Dark purple)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

Happy New Year to you all.
Here is my list for 1st January 2009, all out doors. Rather surprised
there is as much as its been cold and I do not plant stuff for this time
of year, also surprising is what is not on the list - no snowdrops,
daffodils, celandines, and even Camellia St Ewe is still in tight bud

Goodness me! This really highlights the differences between Cornwall and
Yorkshire!

Agree with the comment on cold - without checking records, it feels to
have been the coldest winter for nearly 10 years. All ponds are frozen
today, as they were for a large part of December.

Cyclamen coum album

No hint of C coum yet.

Fuchsia magellanica

Mine, of course, has been cut down to the ground and I won't expect
anything more till mid summer.

Helleborous various hybrids plus x sternii, argutifolius, and foetidus

Buds just showing on orientalis

Lonicera x pupusii

Yes.

Primrose (just one flower!)

Quite a few primroses and polyanthus, and a single auricula

Viburnum x bodentense Dawn

Yes, and V tinus.

Pieris and mahonia in bud.

Other flowers:
Pansy
Calendula (still hanging on grimly from the autumn)
Hammamelis - a red flowered one. H mollis not in flower yet (though it
did have a burst of flower in the autumn, as did Fothergillia)
Winter jasmine
Yellow poppy
And an astonishingly large crop of oyster mushrooms. Does anyone know
the best way to preserve these? Drying?)

Altogether, a pretty pathetic showing, although the garden still has a
lot of interest in berries and bark.

But in the frost-free greenhouse I can boast two species of cacti and a
succulent in flower, along with jasmine, pelargonium and butterwort.

--
Kay
Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/1/09 14:59, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:12:24 +0000, Sacha wrote:

So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

Thanks for the reminder Sacha. We had a severe frost yesterday and the day
before (photos included) which didn't do our garden a lot of good so I was
pleasantly surprised to find these few hardy plants showing their pretty
faces this morning.

Slideshow he
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/valeri...how/5286335290
436093234

Very pretty, Val and what an immaculate garden!

Here's our list, though I should emphasise these are things that might have
just one flower on - not that they're smothered in blooms! But they're all
in the garden, not nursery plants in pots etc.

Ivy-leaf pelargonium
Euphorbia wulfenii
Euryops pectinatus
Coleonema
Vinca difusis
Small flowered trailing Campanula
Coronilla glauca
Rosemary Miss Jessop
Rosemary Marenca
Jasminum nudiflorum
Salvia involucrata
Daphne bholua
Camellia sasanqua Narumigata
Camellia williamsii (I think) Takanini just about to open
Cestrum parquii
Lamimum - bright cerise flower, variegated leaf
Cassia corymbosa (in shock, I reckon!)
Chaenomeles japonica
Lonicera purpusii
Clematis napaulensis
Viburnum tinus
Vinca lxyloba
Correa backhouseana
Primroses
Various Hellebores
Argyranthemum (white hybridised here)
Mahonia Charity
Mahonia lamerifolia
Sarcococca confusa
Abutilon (white & pink)
Pittosporum tobira
Exochorda Bridal Veil
Fuchsia microphylla
Hypericum (tall shrubby thing)
Pieris Red Robin
Skimmia
Lonicera tatarica
Unknown bright pink rose
Unknown Clematis (purple)
Euphorbia rigida
Fuchsia exochordicata
Escallonia rubra Macranths
Papaver cambrica

I'm amazed at Charlie's Clianthus and Polygala but he's in the tropics
compared to most! ;-))
Any more?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Spider wrote

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

On high ground in SE London:

a perfectly astonishing quantity of flowering stuff

In another highish bit of SE London we've got several very ordinary but
startlingly red cyclamen (Persicum? I'm afraid I bought them in Lewisham
market, and they don't go in much for the Latin) and a solitary
surprised pink, together with a lot of frozen rosebuds. Whereabouts are
you, Spider? We're in Blackheath.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

The best I can offer is vinca major and mahonia aquifolium..

Tina

Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Spider wrote

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

On high ground in SE London:

a perfectly astonishing quantity of flowering stuff

In another highish bit of SE London we've got several very ordinary but
startlingly red cyclamen (Persicum? I'm afraid I bought them in Lewisham
market, and they don't go in much for the Latin) and a solitary surprised
pink, together with a lot of frozen rosebuds. Whereabouts are you,
Spider? We're in Blackheath.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot
org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

I'm in Upper Norwood, Kate. Somewhat below the sight of the old Crystal
Palace. We have some good views; in fact we can just see the Wembley
Stadium arch from here.

Spider