Old 30-01-2009, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Online Purchasing

Anyone tried Webbs Direct, and what did they think about it.

Old 31-01-2009, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Keith
wrote
Anyone tried Webbs Direct, and what did they think about it.

Avoid if they don't have a (physical) address on the web site.
Avoid if they don't have a contact phone number
Avoid if they don't offer next day delivery 7 days a week. (with the
better companies on the Net you can order 10pm and get delivery next day
at 9am.
Avoid if they use Parcel Force to deliver.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 31-01-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham wrote
In article ,
says...
In message , Keith
wrote
Anyone tried Webbs Direct, and what did they think about it.

Avoid if they don't have a (physical) address on the web site.
Avoid if they don't have a contact phone number
Avoid if they don't offer next day delivery 7 days a week. (with the
better companies on the Net you can order 10pm and get delivery next day
at 9am.
Avoid if they use Parcel Force to deliver.

Whats wrong with parcel force? I find them very reliable

They are not called parcel farce without reason.

You may find that when they rationalise their delivery hubs in your area
you may have a round trip of 80 miles or more to the local depot to pick
up parcels which they will not leave with neighbours etc. I live in a
small town of around 200,000 people but parcel force feel the need to
centralise their delivery hubs much further away. The reason for having
fewer bases is due to falling trade as more people find them
inconvenient. They are the dinosaurs of the delivery trade.

On average, I receive one package a week and the ones I have most
trouble actually getting in my hands are those delivered by parcel
force. I tend not to do any repeat business with firms who use parcel
force as their courier.

Old 31-01-2009, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 31 Jan, 01:01, Alan wrote:
In message , Keith
wrote

Anyone tried Webbs Direct, and what did they think about it.

Avoid if they don't have a (physical) address on the web site.
Avoid if they don't have a contact phone number
Avoid if they don't offer next day delivery 7 days a week. (with the
better companies on the Net you can order 10pm and get delivery next day
at 9am.
Avoid if they use Parcel Force to deliver.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

I have NEVER found a firm that if you order at 10pm Saturday will
deliver 9am Sunday, come to that noone cantake an order at 10pm and
have it delivered across the country for 9am next day, I know of no
carrier that collects or accepts items for delivery after 7pm.
You must live in a different world to us mortals who live in the
country.
David hill

Old 31-01-2009, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill wrote
On 31 Jan, 01:01, Alan wrote:
In message , Keith
wrote

[...]

Then try ordering from Screwfix or CPC. In common with many companies
that run an automated stock control (including some with manual
picking/packing) the delivery company dumps one of or more their
trailers at the premises to be loaded by the company selling the goods.
They are then picked up for delivery overnight. I have had several
orders that were placed on line in the late evening delivered first
thing in the morning.

Our local post office sorting office used to have a last collection at
11pm and letters were delivered the next morning. The last collection is
now 7pm.

Fast delivery is becoming normal practice for companies that want to
stay in business. Gone are the days of "please wait 28 days for
delivery" or "we will put it in the post when we feel like it." or in
the case of Thompson & Morgan "we've sold out but we will charge your
card and send you the goods in a year's time"!

While I don't necessarily expect a 12 hour turn-around on a 24hr a day
basis I do expect companies to send out items the next working day and
to use delivery companies that have daily deliveries.
Old 31-01-2009, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message , Charlie
Pridham wrote
In article ,

says...
In message , Keith
wrote
[...]

Well my hub is plymouth but I have never had to go there!
1st they will try 3 times for a delivery/signature often allowing you to
phone and book a time,
2nd they will leave parcel without signature as directed by the customer
if that's indicated at booking time,
3rd if all else fails they leave it at your local post office.
They are certainly not perfect, but they are no worse in my experiance
than all the others, we certainly find their drivers a lot better as they
tend to stay with them, with other companies it was not unusual to have a
new driver each week often making silly mistakes with the labeling.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 31-01-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:32:35 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,

says...
In message , Keith
wrote
Anyone tried Webbs Direct, and what did they think about it.

Avoid if they don't have a (physical) address on the web site.
Avoid if they don't have a contact phone number
Avoid if they don't offer next day delivery 7 days a week. (with the
better companies on the Net you can order 10pm and get delivery next day
at 9am.
Avoid if they use Parcel Force to deliver.

Whats wrong with parcel force? I find them very reliable

My experience was that they not only lost a large package worth GBP550, but they
also cheated on the tracking information. Neither I nor the company that shipped
the package to me will ever use them again

If they had done that to me I would probebly be of like mind! but we have
now sent 1,600 parcels with them and they have never lost one (but then
who would be tempted to steal plants!) and only on two occassions have
they not delivered on time, once was their fault as they cross labeled
the parcels and the other time the customer had supplied the wrong
address (he had forgotten he had moved!!) Our previous carrier had lost 1
package and delayed over 100
Old 31-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[quote=Alan;828681Fast delivery is becoming normal practice for companies that want to
stay in business. Gone are the days of "please wait 28 days for
delivery" or "we will put it in the post when we feel like it." or in the case of Thompson & Morgan "we've sold out but we will charge your card and send you the goods in a year's time"![/QUOTE]

Yes but you pay for it in the long run by higher prices. 2 or 3 days is quite an acceptable delivery time as far as I am concerned.

Old 31-01-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Jan, 10:11, Alan wrote:
They are not called parcel farce without reason.

On average, I receive one package a week and the ones I have most
trouble actually getting in my hands are those delivered by parcel
force.

Last year one of them found me out & went round to my daughter 3
streets away to see if she would take the package. Then came back &
put a note through my door.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:01:27 -0000, "Keith"
wrote:

Anyone tried Webbs Direct, and what did they think about it.

Seems to be part of Webbs of Wychbold, a large GC by the M5.
Good GC.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
In message , Charlie
Pridham wrote
In article ,

says...
In message , Keith
wrote
[...]

Everyone seems to have their favourite courier they don't like. They
only have to mess it up for you a couple of times and that's it (I find
Home delivery Network and UPS generally the most useless FWIW)

For me PF is fine, we live opposite the PO and the PF van stops in the
early evening to pickup from them, if he has missed us earlier in the
day he will generally try us again if it looks like we are in.

Favourite is City Link as the depot is relatively near and we often
seems to be near the beginning of a route so get the deliveries first
thing, driver always seems to the same as well so he knows where to
leave stuff safely out of the way if he can.

--
Chris French

Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message
,
Dave Hill wrote
On 31 Jan, 01:01, Alan wrote:
In message , Keith
wrote

[...]

Yep, but that isn't the same as offering delivery on the Sunday late on
a Saturday, which is what you seemed to be claiming was available

Also depends on the company, biggies such as screwfix or Ebuyer can have
these sorts of arrangements, smaller companies can't, they don't do that
amount of business
--
Chris French

Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Anyone tried Webbs Direct, and what did they think about it.

Seems to be part of Webbs of Wychbold, a large GC by the M5.
Good GC.

Yep, reputable company, what the online operation is like no idea, but
IME most companies are fine, some are excellent, occasionally they mess
up, very occasionally some are just crap.
--
Chris French