Old 18-02-2009, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frogs

I seem to have lost all my frogs. I had a colony over 30 strong a couple of
years ago. I know the untimely cold last winter ( 2007/8) limited the
breeding that year but I had some back last year. Unfortunately all the
little taddies got eaten by dragon fly lava in the pond. I cleared the pond
but no frogs this year.

They usually arrive about Valentines day. My mother has frogs and spawn.
Hers usually arrive just after mine. I guess I am frog less then? I don't
suppose there is a solution to this really is there? Anything I can do?

Old 18-02-2009, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , endymion
writes
I seem to have lost all my frogs. I had a colony over 30 strong a
couple of years ago. I know the untimely cold last winter ( 2007/8)
limited the breeding that year but I had some back last year.
Unfortunately all the little taddies got eaten by dragon fly lava in
the pond. I cleared the pond but no frogs this year.

They usually arrive about Valentines day. My mother has frogs and
spawn. Hers usually arrive just after mine. I guess I am frog less
then? I don't suppose there is a solution to this really is there?
Anything I can do?

My ponds are usually a heavy mass of froggy frenzy about this time.
Nothing so far but I suspect the cold snap will have merely deterred the
show. FWIW I was coppicing with Dorset CC Ranger Service this morning -
several toads were up and about, which surprised me in that location. So
all is not lost
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 18-02-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , endymion
writes
I seem to have lost all my frogs. I had a colony over 30 strong a couple
of years ago. I know the untimely cold last winter ( 2007/8) limited the
breeding that year but I had some back last year. Unfortunately all the
little taddies got eaten by dragon fly lava in the pond. I cleared the
pond but no frogs this year.

They usually arrive about Valentines day. My mother has frogs and spawn.
Hers usually arrive just after mine. I guess I am frog less then? I don't
suppose there is a solution to this really is there? Anything I can do?

My ponds are usually a heavy mass of froggy frenzy about this time.
Nothing so far but I suspect the cold snap will have merely deterred the
show. FWIW I was coppicing with Dorset CC Ranger Service this morning -

Not here by any chance?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...0stuff/llo.jpg

I only live a mile or do from there, and the sign always makes me smile.
Steve

Old 18-02-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , shazzbat
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , endymion
writes
[...]

Sorry .... that's down B'mouth way isn't it? My coppicing, hedge laying
exercise etc. is usually taken in the Batcombe area .... other end of
the county. I haven't visited Slop Bog Reserve but I seem to recall it
has some good heathland. And it _does_ have a funny name :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 18-02-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 18, 1:08*pm, "endymion"
wrote:
I seem to have lost all my frogs.

That is extremely careless of you. Do you now expect us to trust you
with some junior tadpoles?
Old 19-02-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

robert wrote:

As mentioned in an earlier thread our first frog of the year appeared on
16 January, but very sensibly disappeared two days later. Yesterday I
counted 9 in the pond but no sign of any spawn as yet.

The relatively dry December followed by the recent spell of unusually
cold weather will have undoubtedly thinned out the frog population but
there is still time for them to appear.

My pond had been frozen for over a week with the cold temperatures.
Following the rise in temperature, it finally melted over Saturday night.
On Sunday morning there were 2 clumps of frogspawn and since then the
pond has been a seething mass of frogs.
We seem to just get more and more each year.

Jeff
NE England
Old 19-02-2009, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"endymion" wrote in message
I seem to have lost all my frogs. I had a colony over 30 strong a couple of
years ago. I know the untimely cold last winter ( 2007/8) limited the
breeding that year but I had some back last year. Unfortunately all the
little taddies got eaten by dragon fly lava in the pond. I cleared the pond
but no frogs this year.

They usually arrive about Valentines day. My mother has frogs and spawn.
Hers usually arrive just after mine. I guess I am frog less then? I don't
suppose there is a solution to this really is there? Anything I can do?

I wouldn't worry too much ours are very late this year in spite of the
amount
of flooding remember if you are out in the garden tidying frogs hibernabate
happily in dryish frost free areas so piles of leaves in corners under
wooden staging , boards etc are likely to be harbouring frogs and toads or
if you are lucky newts.
DerekW

Old 23-02-2009, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"endymion" wrote in message
I seem to have lost all my frogs.

Did you look behind the fridge? When I lose something it's nearly always
there.

Old 23-02-2009, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Crundy" contains these words:
"endymion" wrote in message
I seem to have lost all my frogs.

Did you look behind the fridge? When I lose something it's nearly always
there.

Down the back of your sofa, that's where they'll be.

Ou en France.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-07-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"endymion" wrote in message
I seem to have lost all my frogs. I had a colony over 30 strong a couple of
years ago. I know the untimely cold last winter ( 2007/8) limited the
breeding that year but I had some back last year. Unfortunately all the
little taddies got eaten by dragon fly lava in the pond. I cleared the pond
but no frogs this year.

They usually arrive about Valentines day. My mother has frogs and spawn.
Hers usually arrive just after mine. I guess I am frog less then? I don't
suppose there is a solution to this really is there? Anything I can do?

I know this is an old post. I thought I would update it on my froggies. I
think I had two little frogs arrive very very late. The deposited a load of
spawn ( or rather the female did). I didn't see them. It was none yesterday,
spawn today and gone tomorrow.

I nurtured the spawn as best I could. I saw some of it at least reach
taddies stage. Then it seemed to disappear altogether. This is a re newed
pond now - so no iris and no roots etc to stop the taddies getting to water.
I thought they may have been lost, But this last week I have seen a small
( about the size of a thumb joint ) frog in the pond , sitting happily on a
stone and swimming around. he / she has now disappeared again. But joy of
joys! I was mowing the front lawn and I managed to see ( and miss) the
tiniest of frogs crawling in the grass. I left a large patch for him/ her
to live in - although there is plenty of long grass and cover around the
pond area now. I am guessing that is one of ( even if the only one) of
this years little taddies.

So I may have lost my colony but I am living in hope for next spring. g

Old 13-07-2009, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:08:39 +0100, "endymion"
said:

"endymion" wrote in message
[...]

Kind of Build It and They Will Come, isn't it? ;-) I'm so glad you
found some. We had at least 36 frogs on one day in the pond this
spring. I haven't seen one froglet yet but they'll be around
somewhere, hiding.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-07-2009, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:08:39 +0100, "endymion"
said:

"endymion" wrote in message
[...]

On the same subject, would duckweed discourage frogs? My pond is
covered in it now and I have given up clearing it because there is too
much and it multiplies so fast that it has recovered the pond again in
less than a week. I used to have frogs but haven't seen any recently
and I wondered if the duckweed is the reason?
Old 13-07-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

endymion writes

I nurtured the spawn as best I could. I saw some of it at least reach
taddies stage. Then it seemed to disappear altogether.

The first thing seem to do is eat the rest of the egg that they hatched
out of.

This is a re newed pond now - so no iris and no roots etc to stop the
taddies getting to water. I thought they may have been lost, But this
last week I have seen a small ( about the size of a thumb joint ) frog
in the pond ,

that's a last year's frog, I think.

Takes them at least 3 years to get to breeding size.

sitting happily on a stone and swimming around. he / she has now
disappeared again. But joy of joys! I was mowing the front lawn and I
managed to see ( and miss) the tiniest of frogs crawling in the grass.

Lovely :-)

--
Kay

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM