Old 29-03-2009, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a day!

Because we 'lost' an hour this morning, I woke at 5am, of course! Slowly
the day dawned crisp and cold but with an achingly brilliant blue sky. Now,
at just after 10am, the sky is gleaming overhead and a heat haze is rising
from the vents in the roof of the biggest greenhouse. Let's hope it lasts!
We've planted up a lot of the pots dotted around the garden and where some
Euryops died in the frosts, we've planted lilies, underplanted with a dear
little mat-forming Veronica - might be V. liwanensis but I'll have to check
that. It's a charming little plant. Elsewhere, the shuttlecock ferns are
slowly unfolding, the tree ferns seem to be okay and are forming their
croziers in secret and Camellias and Magnolias are bursting with life. Our
'wedding cake tree' which had closed buds furled up tightly just waiting for
some warmth, has sprung into full glory and almost without my noticing, a
living willow fence is almost in full leaf. And the snowdrops have
disappeared for another year. Everything seems to be moving so fast now!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-03-2009, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Because we 'lost' an hour this morning, I woke at 5am, of course!

Never mind, they've tacked it on to the evening.

Slowly
the day dawned crisp and cold but with an achingly brilliant blue sky. Now,
at just after 10am, the sky is gleaming overhead and a heat haze is rising
from the vents in the roof of the biggest greenhouse. Let's hope it lasts!

We were supposed to have had a hard frost last night. No sign of any,
first thing. A lot of moving things inside, lighting of hurricane lamp
all for nothing - probably.

We've planted up a lot of the pots dotted around the garden and where some
Euryops died in the frosts, we've planted lilies, underplanted with a dear
little mat-forming Veronica - might be V. liwanensis but I'll have to check
that. It's a charming little plant. Elsewhere, the shuttlecock ferns are
slowly unfolding, the tree ferns seem to be okay and are forming their
croziers in secret and Camellias and Magnolias are bursting with life. Our
'wedding cake tree' which had closed buds furled up tightly just waiting for
some warmth, has sprung into full glory and almost without my noticing, a
living willow fence is almost in full leaf. And the snowdrops have
disappeared for another year. Everything seems to be moving so fast now!

Including that &*#!$$% idiot in a very noisy car which regularly passes
so fast (in a 30 mph limit) that by the time I've got to the gate from
the front door, it's gone - and to do that, it has to do around 400
yards and negotiate a crossroads.

I only have to open the door and take ten paces up the path...

--
Rusty
Old 29-03-2009, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote after ...
Sacha wrote

Because we 'lost' an hour this morning, I woke at 5am, of course!

Never mind, they've tacked it on to the evening.

Slowly
the day dawned crisp and cold but with an achingly brilliant blue sky.
Now,
at just after 10am, the sky is gleaming overhead and a heat haze is
rising
from the vents in the roof of the biggest greenhouse. Let's hope it
lasts!

We were supposed to have had a hard frost last night. No sign of any,
first thing. A lot of moving things inside, lighting of hurricane lamp
all for nothing - probably.

Yes, I brought all our citrus trees back into the garage last evening yet
when I got up to watch the F1 there was no sign of frost. Perhaps they meant
tonight?

[...]

I've decided not to replace anything yet, will wait 'till I'm certain they
are dead and just pop in some of my Pel "Doris Moore" to fill the hole until
I find something better. No hurry, our garden isn't open to the public.
The strange thing is we have noticed some things growing that, one, we
certainly never planted (Muscari), two, that we thought we had lost a couple
of years ago (Nerine) and three, that have spread around much more this year
(Cyclamen sp, Chionadoxa sp, Scilla sp). The first two into our grass as
well as the border where they are very welcome.

Including that &*#!$$% idiot in a very noisy car which regularly passes
so fast (in a 30 mph limit) that by the time I've got to the gate from
the front door, it's gone - and to do that, it has to do around 400
yards and negotiate a crossroads.

I only have to open the door and take ten paces up the path...

I think we all have our share of those fools, don't give anyone, including
themselves, time to react so they must eventually have a crash. That's if
they don't just hit something stationary like a wall or a telegraph pole
driving too fast for car/conditions/themselves. One near here recently, in
the middle of the day, did two walls on either side of the wide road, a
telegraph pole turned into matchwood, and smashed a few other vehicles and
walked away (40mph limit) hopefully in handcuffs.

Talking of which a couple of our local police arrested a young chap for
allegedly steeling a van one morning this week and on their way back to the
police station with him in the back of their Focus stopped to buy lunch at
our local bakers. They forgot to shut all the windows and despite being
handcuffed he got away through a window. We had so many police around the
area, and the helicopter overhead, it was amazing. How much did that cost
us?
They did recapture him BTW.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-03-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 9:19*am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Beautiful here today, bright, windy and warmish!!!! I have so much to
do that I have decided I have to work outside so I have employed a
painter and decorator to finish the summer sitting room. I love
decorating but I can't cut myself in two!!!!

Judith
Old 29-03-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 1:46*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 06:38:46 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Mar 29, 9:19*am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Employ a farmer, a gardener and a horticulturist too!
--

Martin

No need to dear man, I am all three LOL

Judith

Old 29-03-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

I think we all have our share of those fools, don't give anyone, including
themselves, time to react so they must eventually have a crash. That's if
they don't just hit something stationary like a wall or a telegraph pole
driving too fast for car/conditions/themselves.

I'm not coming round your way if you have walls and telegraph poles
driving too fast!

--
Rusty
Old 29-03-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Evening Sacha,
Sounds like you started the day well! I've spent the day in the garden,
trying to catch up with some of the jobs. Despite the threat of rain, we've
had a lovely day here, if a bit chilly. I've moved a goodly clump of
Fritillaria meleagris, plus some muscari (don't know which one), because
we've got landscapers starting work soon on a small patio. My F. meleagris
are sacred, so I didn't want the builders trampling on them.

I've also done a fair bit of pruning and weeding, and finished off by edging
the smaller of my lawns, then filling all the watering cans from the water
butt so any fresh rain can refill the butt. I don't seem to have made much
of an impression, but I'm totally cream-crackered now and more than ready
for my dinner.

I was curious about the Veronica you mentioned, and would certainly be
interested if you knew the name of it. I have a few prostrate Veronicas
tumbling over the wall of a raised border, but there is always room for
more. I love them. Perhaps if you do discover its name, you'll post it
here, pretty please?

Well, I'm off to scoff a huge casserole. I'll check in later.

Spider

Old 29-03-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Forgive me replying to my own post but I notice, Sacha, that you have named
the Veronica in another post. It's one of my great favourites. Lovely
colour.

Spider

Old 29-03-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/3/09 19:24, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Glad you saw that post and yes, it is particularly attractive, IMO. I'm a
push over for Veronicas and Veronicasturms but there's something especially
endearing about that one. I must have a 'thing' for spring flowering blue
plants that I hadn't realised before because another I'd recommend to anyone
is Pulmonaria 'Blue Ensign'. Super plant.

Old 29-03-2009, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 4:43*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 07:19:36 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Mar 29, 9:19*am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

LOL and chicken plucker.
--

Martin

Stuff that Martin, I actually don't eat chicken, shudder!!!!!

Judith

Old 29-03-2009, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 6:14*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

[...]

What was the casserole Spider? Loved the insight into your garden.

Judith
Old 29-03-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 6:28*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 29/3/09 19:24, in article , "Spider"

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I know Pulmonaria but not Blue Ensign, it's time to go to bed here, so
I'll Google in the morning after I get back from the Clinique at
Clermont. Just think Sacha, I leave here at 8a.m. your time 7a.m.
Groan...........

Judith
Old 29-03-2009, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 29/3/09 19:24, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

snip snip

[...]

We seem to agree on spring flowering blue plants, then. I have Pulmonarias,
but not 'Blue Ensign'; I must look out for that. I'd also like P. 'Lewis
Palmer'. I'm also very fond of Omphalodes and Brunnera, esp. B. 'Jack
Frost' - lovely for a blue or a white border. I have a number of
blue-flowered bulbs and, although I adore my blue Anemone blanda, my other
favourite bulb is Scilla sardenensis and they're looking perfect just now.
If you don't grow it yet, I'd recommend it.

Well, I'm off to bed just now, to dream of spring borders.
Night night.
Spider

Old 29-03-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Mar 29, 6:14 pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

[...]

I ought to say fly flavour, didn't I?!! However, it was pork and bacon with
stacks of veg; not a true casserole, I suppose, as they're really meant to
have lots of pulses. Did I gather from your shuddering at chicken that
you're a vegetarian?

Spider