Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

I'm actually feeling quite drained, Bobbie. It's like a bloody disco
in my livingroom tonight, with all the "flashing lights"! Maybe I'll
remember where I put my sunglasses. Never having much use
for them in the past, they could be anywhere... Anyhoo, my eyes
look as if I've been taking heavy doses of drugs for weeks! Never
seen my pupils so distended before! Thank goodness the dog
training class wasn't too busy tonight, and I got home early...

Wocher bin up-to then? Riding fast with the sun behind miles of trees?

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Yes, the ones that fly past your face and you only catch a glimpse
then are
gone only to return a few moments later (having taken a bite)

Ah yes, those little b.........lighters! ;-)) My other less than
favourites are the flies that look like ordinary houseflies until they nip
you, leaving a ferocious itch behind. In fact, they fly a bit slower than
houseflies do and have a white marking underneath, IIRC but you certainly
know when you've met one.

Ked...

Couldn't reach over the Workmate far enough to swat it...

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ked002.jpg

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Rusty_Hinge wrote
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

When in the countryside where the midges are at their worst,
I would tuck a sprig of bog myrtle behind my ear,

Compo sent me some Caithness bog myrtle roots, but after a year they
began to die - indeed, all but one did. I found this was due to vine
weevil, so I've only got one plant left.

Any vine weevil wanting to munch the roots of *THAT* one will need a
snorkel...

hint

Any roots gratefully received!

/hint

I use the leaves as a tisane - you don't need nearly the weight of bog
myrtle leaf as you would of tea - it is said to be a nerve-tonic, and it
certainly makes me feel a lot more alive and - a lert.

(Lerts Rule OK)

It's known as 'mountain tea' in Greece. You can buy great bundles of it
at markets.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:02:50 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

Anthisan is the answer! Anything that won't calm down needs
antihistamine taken internally. Very recently, Enzo had to take
some meds which gave him a rash and intolerable itching. Anthisan
sorted it out, so it seems to work on many things that cause
itching, not just bites.

I've been taking a non drowsy antihistamine tablet every day now
since I first started getting bitten

So long as you are sorted out

Me sorted out? LOL never

Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bobbie" wrote in message
Kathy wrote:
"Bobbie" wrote in message

Snip

They don't seem to have reached us here in Dorset. I have never been
bothered by them, nor by the mozzies that gather round the pond.

I didn't get bothered by midges and mozzies much when I lived in Dorset
either.
The bloody Blandford fly was another matter :-{

Although I was never bitten myself I do believe it was a real problem at
one time. I read that things have improved considerably in the past years.
quote

Bites from the notorious Fly have been dramatically reduced thanks to
aggressive treatment of rivers.

Authorities along the River Stour,

Snip of info

Yes the spraying did have a dramatic effect. Unfortunately, at first they
only treated upstream from Blandford [where, I admit, the largest
infestations were supposed to be]. Left us living downstream still
suffering :-{

Our village was, apparently, right at the furthest reach of the little
buggers' range.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

(Modern first-class cricketers should be exempt, as underarm
deliveries are no longer legal...)

That is me out then! Never could throw a ball overarm My boys were
definitely not impressed

Throw a ball? THROW a ball? *THROW* A BALL?

Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Martin wrote:

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content
without the Deet? Oh poooheee

Things like that are readily absorbed by the soles of the feet.

The skin absorbes Deet?

Probably - it absorbs Vick, and the effect is as good as putting it on
yer chest.

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content
without the Deet? Oh poooheee

Things like that are readily absorbed by the soles of the feet.

The skin absorbes Deet?

Probably - it absorbs Vick, and the effect is as good as putting it on
yer chest.

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it I bet that
clears your tubes

Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it I bet that
clears your tubes

I've never even heard of Deet.

--
Rusty

Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Martin wrote:

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content
without the Deet? Oh poooheee

Things like that are readily absorbed by the soles of the feet.

The skin absorbes Deet?

Probably - it absorbs Vick, and the effect is as good as putting it
on yer chest.

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it I bet
that clears your tubes

and kills the moles. )

ewww

Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Martin wrote:

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content
without the Deet? Oh poooheee

Things like that are readily absorbed by the soles of the feet.

The skin absorbes Deet?

Probably - it absorbs Vick, and the effect is as good as putting
it on yer chest.

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it I bet
that clears your tubes

and kills the moles. )

ewww

Only on Rusty's chest. Your chest is safe.

errrrr yes.... I see......

Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snipped

Its just gone 11pm and I have come into the house to find that I have been
bitten several times, what bites at this time of night in the dark apart
from vampires :-)

kate

p.s. who else spotted the beautiful moon tonight ?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
Martin wrote:

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content
without the Deet? Oh poooheee

Things like that are readily absorbed by the soles of the feet.

The skin absorbes Deet?

Probably - it absorbs Vick, and the effect is as good as putting it
on yer chest.

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it I bet
that clears your tubes

and kills the moles. )

ewww

Only on Rusty's chest. Your chest is safe.

*MINE* doesn't have molehills...

D&RFC

--
Rusty

Too early , wayyyyy too early Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 25-02-2017 01:14 PM
midges Heather[_3_] United Kingdom 5 10-04-2007 11:59 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
O/T Warding off Midges etc. janet.bennett United Kingdom 0 29-03-2003 09:44 AM