Old 07-04-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

We have some years to go before our first flowering bluebells. They are at the
"grass-like shoots" stage.

http://www.bluebellseeds.com/
"In the first year, in mid-late March, grass-like shoots should appear in the
patch. These are darker green and thinner than normal grass, but may be very
difficult to see in a lawn. In the second year, they are similar, but coarser.
You will not get blooms until the third or fourth year."

Something else they don't tell you on a seed packet.

Each year before they flower I hope that I will be contamination free
for another year. I hate to see our native bluebells tainted by the more
robust Spanish version. Being a Scot I have an affinity with bluebells.
Once again we mass planted them and hope for another blue haze beneath
the trees in the coming weeks. They follow on from the daffodils and
snowdrops. Nature has a fondness for blue and yellow, have you noticed?
I walk my dogs regularly on my local Heath and there the colours are
predominantly purple and yellow.

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

When in the countryside where the midges are at their worst,
I would tuck a sprig of bog myrtle behind my ear,

Compo sent me some Caithness bog myrtle roots, but after a year they
began to die - indeed, all but one did. I found this was due to vine
weevil, so I've only got one plant left.

Any vine weevil wanting to munch the roots of *THAT* one will need a
snorkel...

hint

Any roots gratefully received!

/hint

I use the leaves as a tisane - you don't need nearly the weight of bog
myrtle leaf as you would of tea - it is said to be a nerve-tonic, and it
certainly makes me feel a lot more alive and - a lert.

(Lerts Rule OK)

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:09:49 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

"Aries" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:22:29 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 7/4/09 08:16, in article
, "aries"
wrote:

[4 quoted lines suppressed]

They're out in small clouds here, Val but I haven't been bitten.
You must
be particularly tasty! I think the only answer is a repellent
that you know works well for you. I never wear perfume when I'm
working in the garden, partly because I don't want to attract bees
(I wear floral or citrus-y scents) and also because of its
reaction with the skin in sunlight.
I don't know if you wear a perfume but if so, wonder if it might be
better
not to!

I do wear perfume but also anti persperants and shower gels might
also be an attraction
--
What other people think of you is none of your business.
http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

If you really want to wear a scent in the garden, Val, try Lavender
Water as it is supposed to be an insect repellant ... well, if you
discount bees, that is ... :~)

If you really want to repel insects use a 50% DEET based product.

Just a dab behind each ear?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Aries contains these words:

I do wear perfume but also anti persperants and shower gels might also be
an attraction

Anti-perspirants contain aluminium compounds. It has been found that
users of such anti perspirants are more prone to cancers associated with
a build-up of aluminium compounds in the tissues.

So, be warned! When I'm about, wear a clothes peg.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Each year before they flower I hope that I will be contamination free
for another year. I hate to see our native bluebells tainted by the more
robust Spanish version. Being a Scot I have an affinity with bluebells.

But being a Scot, you should be thinking of what in England are called
'harebells'. (Campanula rotundafolia)

Once again we mass planted them and hope for another blue haze beneath
the trees in the coming weeks. They follow on from the daffodils and
snowdrops. Nature has a fondness for blue and yellow, have you noticed?
I walk my dogs regularly on my local Heath and there the colours are
predominantly purple and yellow.

Still looking for some wood anemone rhizomes... (Anemone nemorosa)

--
Rusty

Old 07-04-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 2:12*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 7/4/09 12:20, in article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I thought midges and mosquitoes preferred to chomp on female humans!

I was pregnant with my second son and I was living in Malta. *Every
inch of me was covered in bites *I used to stand in the shower,
wet myself all over and rub salt in.

They never bothered me for years after that though. * I supposed it
was because of the hormones.

I do remember some young biologist telling me mosquitoes prefer
female blood but I don't know if that's so with midges, which is why
I raised the question. *Presumably when one is pregnant whichever
hormone attracts mozzies is in overdrive!
The best thing I've ever used is Off, followed closely by the
preferable Skin So Soft. *Avon sell the latter and in this country
are not allowed to advertise it as a repellent. *However, great bit
beefy lumberjacks told them it was a surefire repellent in USA and
the idea has caught on.

Good for said beefy lumberjacks

You can buy it online.

I didn't know! *Thanks for that

Found it and Skin So Soft is on special offer)

http://avonshop.co.uk/

Welcome to Avonshop. 4 for £5 on selected Skin So Soft Bath & Body! Save
£11.25.

Thanks Ophelia, I wonder if they would send to France? If not I can
have it sent to our daughter.

Judith
Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Each year before they flower I hope that I will be contamination free
for another year. I hate to see our native bluebells tainted by the more
robust Spanish version. Being a Scot I have an affinity with bluebells.

But being a Scot, you should be thinking of what in England are called
'harebells'. (Campanula rotundafolia)

Once again we mass planted them and hope for another blue haze beneath
the trees in the coming weeks. They follow on from the daffodils and
snowdrops. Nature has a fondness for blue and yellow, have you noticed?
I walk my dogs regularly on my local Heath and there the colours are
predominantly purple and yellow.

Still looking for some wood anemone rhizomes... (Anemone nemorosa)

LOL Funny you should say that Rusty, Annie and I have had many a
discussion about that very thing. In fact I am referring to
Hyacinthoides non-scripta, not (Campanula rotundafolia) or harebell.
They are Scottish Bluebells only because they were raised in a Scottish
garden by a Scot.
What I am trying to avoid is Hyacinthoides hispanica.

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:

wrote:
[4 quoted lines suppressed]
They're out in small clouds here, Val but I haven't been bitten. You
must be particularly tasty! I think the only answer is a
repellent that you know works well for you. I never wear perfume
when I'm working in the garden, partly because I don't want to
attract bees (I wear floral or citrus-y scents) and also because of
its reaction with the skin in sunlight. I don't know if you wear a
perfume but if so, wonder if it might be better not to!
I do wear perfume but also anti persperants and shower gels might
also be an attraction

They don't seem to have reached us here in Dorset. I have never been
bothered by them, nor by the mozzies that gather round the pond. I
often smell of horses and goats, and always of dogs, perhaps that is
why.
Bobbie:-)

Mental note.........always stay upwind of Bobbie

LOL I smell quite nice after a shower, but my Pickles, being a hound
dog, has a particularly sensitive nose and perfume makes her sneeze, so
unless I am going out I tend not to use it. Benji the border terrier
actually seems to like the smell of deodorant spray, but I do confine
its use to the bathroom. Angus the Westie, only has to see an aerosol
can and runs for cover. Dogs are discerning creatures, don't you think?
How is the allotment coming along?

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2009, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote

They're out in small clouds here, Val but I haven't been bitten. You must
be particularly tasty! I think the only answer is a repellent that you
know works well for you. I never wear perfume when I'm working in the
garden, partly because I don't want to attract bees (I wear floral or
citrus-y scents) and also because of its reaction with the skin in
sunlight.
I don't know if you wear a perfume but if so, wonder if it might be better
not to!

I must admit I don't usually wear perfume. :-)

Try Avon "Skin So Soft", it has a quite a reputation for repelling
flying insects. Seriously!

There was a small cloud of midges over our pond this morning but I have also
seen small black flies, about pin head sized, that I think may be the
suspects.

Ding-Dong! Avon calling.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 07-04-2009, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bobbie
writes

,
"aries" wrote:

[...]

T.M.I. I've just gorn orf you!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 17:16:41 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:09:49 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content without the
Deet? Oh poooheee

Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
[...]

I guessed - but some might not.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

LOL I smell quite nice after a shower, but my Pickles, being a hound
dog, has a particularly sensitive nose and perfume makes her sneeze, so
unless I am going out I tend not to use it.

Perfume makes me ill. This may be one reason why I'm still a bachelor...

--
Rusty

Too early , wayyyyy too early Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 25-02-2017 01:14 PM
midges Heather[_3_] United Kingdom 5 10-04-2007 11:59 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
O/T Warding off Midges etc. janet.bennett United Kingdom 0 29-03-2003 09:44 AM