Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it I bet that
clears your tubes

I've never even heard of Deet.

It's not the kind of stuff to inhale, or use in a confined space.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Wocher bin up-to then? Riding fast with the sun behind miles of trees?

Suffering from Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD) Rusty.

Oo-nasty.

Commiz.

No more mo'bike riding, as I gave Suzie away last week. Couldn't bring
myself to sell her, so I gave her away to someone who really needs a bike,
and I know will look after her - and I can visit her when I want to...

I know the feeling.

--
Rusty
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

snipped

Its just gone 11pm and I have come into the house to find that I have been
bitten several times, what bites at this time of night in the dark apart
from vampires :-)

kate

p.s. who else spotted the beautiful moon tonight ?

I did. Almost like daylight outside, it was.

I thought I saw an umpire flitting round, but it was only a dicky bird.

Not a Dicky Bird.

--
Rusty
Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate
Morgan writes

p.s. who else spotted the beautiful moon tonight ?

I'm a bloke, and we cough don't notice such things.

It was a bit yellowish, I thought, but that might be the atmosphere,
probably explains the cough, too.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-04-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 19:34:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:
Martin wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Martin wrote:

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content
without the Deet? Oh poooheee

Things like that are readily absorbed by the soles of the feet.

The skin absorbes Deet?

Probably - it absorbs Vick, and the effect is as good as putting
it on yer chest.

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it I
bet that clears your tubes

and kills the moles. )

ewww

Only on Rusty's chest. Your chest is safe.

*MINE* doesn't have molehills...

Oi!

D&RFC

?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 5:11*pm, Lucretian
wrote:
'Aries[_4_ Wrote:

;837464']On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:22:29 +0100, Sacha wrote:
-
On 7/4/09 08:16, in article
,
"aries" wrote:
-
[4 quoted lines suppressed]-

They're out in small clouds here, Val but I haven't been bitten. *You
must
be particularly tasty! * I think the only answer is a repellent that
you
know works well for you. *I never wear perfume when I'm working in
the
garden, partly because I don't want to attract bees (I wear floral or
citrus-y scents) and also because of its reaction with the skin in
sunlight.
I don't know if you wear a perfume but if so, wonder if it might be
better
not to!-

I do wear perfume but also anti persperants and shower gels might also
be
an attraction * * * * * * * * *
--
What other people think of you is none of your business.
http://ariesval.co.uk/val/ http://tinyurl.com/d945xq

I remember Scottish forestry workers taking high-strength Vitamin C to
stop themselves being bitten

--
Lucretian

Really? I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 11:10*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:

"aries" wrote:
-
[...]

Maybe they used DEET?
--

Martin

"Spit" no they didn't. Is it windy chez vous tonight; It is blowing
a gale? it is here.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

Really? I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Maybe they used DEET?

Orange juice, eh?
On a walk during the summer months we stopped at a picnic area to eat
lunch and drink water.
On the next bench were a group of girl cyclists who were drinking orange
juice and leaping around as wasps buzzed around their heads.

I walked over to them, borrowed their orange juice, and poured some onto
the next vacant table.
Then I sprayed some Deet based fly repellent on their bench, avoiding
their food.

The wasps moved on.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Suffering from Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD) Rusty.

Oo-nasty.
Commiz.

Thanks. Main problem being that, seeing as I'm "hearing deficient"
I rely very much on my sight, for lip-reading...

No more mo'bike riding, as I gave Suzie away last week. Couldn't bring
myself to sell her, so I gave her away to someone who really needs a
bike,
and I know will look after her - and I can visit her when I want to...

I know the feeling.

Yes, sentimental old buggers, aren't we! g

sniff!

Yes. If I could find another G3 Matchless with girder forks and rigid
rear, I'd be in seventh heaven...

/sniff!

Or any Douglas, Longstroke Velo', Big Vin, or even - oh, I'll just have
to make do with me 'Onda 250RS and me BMW R80 innit. Now, howsabout a
window-box under the headlamp of one of them? Growing speedwell and
rocket?

--
Rusty

Old 10-04-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Really? I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Better than getting bitten in the Antipodes...

--
Rusty
Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 10, 12:16*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:50:48 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Really? *I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. *I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. *All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! *Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Better than getting bitten in the Antipodes...

or in the tropical nether regions.
--

Martin

Leave off you two! :-)

Judith
Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 10, 9:16*am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:13:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Apr 9, 11:10*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:

"aries" wrote:
-
[...]

"Spit" no they didn't.

You are dribbling )
Why "spit"?

Is it windy chez vous tonight; *It is blowing
a gale? it is here.

No it was still, hot and tropical. Forecast today is 24°C
Next week we are back to 12°C
--

Martin

We have a gale here much stronger than predicted. It is forcast over
3 days with today being the medium grade, tomorrow it is expected to
really blow. I consider that today is pretty bad, the greenhouse
which was ready to be glazed is on the ground in a heap, the corner is
twisted but Edward says he can repair it. Today was to have been the
day it was to be bolted down into concrete.

Judith
Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Yes, sentimental old buggers, aren't we! g

sniff!

Yes. If I could find another G3 Matchless with girder forks and rigid
rear, I'd be in seventh heaven...

/sniff!

Or any Douglas, Longstroke Velo', Big Vin, or even - oh, I'll just have
to make do with me 'Onda 250RS and me BMW R80 innit. Now, howsabout a
window-box under the headlamp of one of them? Growing speedwell and
rocket?

Is this going to evolve into a thread where you two try to think of
Motor Sickle companies for every letter of the alphabet?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-04-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Really? *I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. *I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. *All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! *Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Better than getting bitten in the Antipodes...

or in the tropical nether regions.
--

Martin

Leave off you two! :-)

'Ello-'ello! Som wurn has been bitt-en sur l'Arras, n'est ce pas?

--
Rusty

Too early , wayyyyy too early Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 25-02-2017 01:14 PM
midges Heather[_3_] United Kingdom 5 10-04-2007 11:59 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
O/T Warding off Midges etc. janet.bennett United Kingdom 0 29-03-2003 09:44 AM