Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Salsify

On 9/4/09 16:39, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:27:06 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 9/4/09 11:35, in article
, "K"
wrote:
snip

We spent delightful afternoons watching the martins hunt and chirrup
incessantly to each other, then evenings watching the bats hunting the
insects attracted by the castle floodlights - never seen so many bats in
my life nor so clearly :-)

Now you'll traumatise Judith, talking about bats flying around! We enjoy
the ones we get here so much. I think I've seen at least one already but am
hoping that last year's terrible cold and wet didn't finish them off. We
had a colony nesting in between the paling walls of a shed and could hear
them squeaking when we walked past. Sometime a little head would pop out
and quickly pop back in again when its radar picked us up! But we haven't
heard them for some time and are a bit worried last summer starved them to
death.

Spring is sprung, the green parakeet is back eating the buds on the chestnut
trees. It and the buds were a week earlier last year.

There's a lollipop shaped chestnut tree on a farm near here that is now in
full leaf and is a wondrous sight. The ash tree opposite my study window is
just coming into leaf on the lowest branches and a Fremontodendron clinging
to the downpipe rather precariously is thinking that it might decide to
live after all.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/4/09 17:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:10:04 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 9/4/09 16:39, in article
,

wrote:
[...]

What you are missing is a flock of green parakeets.

Our parakeet migrates up to 2 miles some winters.

I can imagine the reaction of 'our' rooks now. "Yummie! Parakeets"

Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 9/4/09 17:38, in article
, "Martin"
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:10:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 9/4/09 16:39, in article
, "Martin"

wrote:

[...]

lol

Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia[_4_] View Post
Sacha wrote:
On 9/4/09 17:38, in article
, "Martin"
lid wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:10:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 9/4/09 16:39, in article
, "Martin"

wrote:

[...]

Squid, cuttefish, green parakeets I think this thread has been hijacked. Meanwhile Back on earth, thank you for your replies regarding salsify

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
One of the few molluscs I like - along ith scollops, (SCollops, I
said!), octopus and squid.

Where I come from, scollops is a way of preparing potatoes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/4/09 09:01, in article , "Ophelia"
wrote:

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
One of the few molluscs I like - along ith scollops, (SCollops, I
said!), octopus and squid.

Where I come from, scollops is a way of preparing potatoes.

And mine

ISTR collops being a cut of meat!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I can imagine the reaction of 'our' rooks now. "Yummie! Parakeets"

I rather think not.

--
Rusty

Old 10-04-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:
In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes

One of the few molluscs I like - along ith scollops, (SCollops, I
said!), octopus and squid.

Where I come from, scollops is a way of preparing potatoes.

Battered spud...

bawbee fur yer thochts?

Escalope de Mars Bar?

/bawbee

--
Rusty
Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

and pollack being renamed "Colin", because Sainsbury's customers think
pollack
sounds obscene.
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Art...56956?UserKey=

A fish called Colin?

Absolutely insane!

Why not acll it by its other name - 'lithe'?

While it is closely-related to coaly, the names are too similar for
commonsense.

--
Rusty
Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

If Stewart Robert Hinsley's scollops are the same as the ones I had at
home,
they were potatoes slices from across the err potato. (if you see what I
mean)

And fried in batter.

--
Rusty
Old 10-04-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

If Stewart Robert Hinsley's scollops are the same as the ones I had at
home,
they were potatoes slices from across the err potato. (if you see what I
mean)

And fried in batter.

That's what I thought I remembered, but it's over 30 years since I've
eaten potatoes prepared as scallops.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:
In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes

One of the few molluscs I like - along ith scollops, (SCollops, I
said!), octopus and squid.

Where I come from, scollops is a way of preparing potatoes.

Battered spud...

bawbee fur yer thochts?

Not that far north.

Escalope de Mars Bar?