Old 19-04-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rechargable or electric strimmer recommendation

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent rechargable or electric strimmer. ATM I
have a petrol McCulloch that I'm just about fed up with. When it
works, it's very good indeed, but getting the thing to start each time
is becoming a real pain. I want something to start when I wan it to!
The main consideration would be to have one that I can replace
(rewind) the line on, rather than use a cartridge replacement "spool"
which I assume will work out expensive. Other than that, I would be
glad of any suggestions.

TIA

M.C.P
Old 19-04-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mrcpea" wrote in message
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent rechargable or electric strimmer. ATM I
have a petrol McCulloch that I'm just about fed up with. When it
works, it's very good indeed, but getting the thing to start each time
is becoming a real pain. I want something to start when I wan it to!
The main consideration would be to have one that I can replace
(rewind) the line on, rather than use a cartridge replacement "spool"
which I assume will work out expensive. Other than that, I would be
glad of any suggestions.

Best to get the McCulloch serviced, no?

Steve

Old 19-04-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mrcpea" wrote ...
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent rechargable or electric strimmer. ATM I
have a petrol McCulloch that I'm just about fed up with. When it
works, it's very good indeed, but getting the thing to start each time
is becoming a real pain. I want something to start when I wan it to!
The main consideration would be to have one that I can replace
(rewind) the line on, rather than use a cartridge replacement "spool"
which I assume will work out expensive. Other than that, I would be
glad of any suggestions.

If you have used a petrol strimmer you will find the electric ones useless.
Get you one serviced or buy a better quality one, Stihl, Honda or Husqvarna.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-04-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:43:00 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

If you have used a petrol strimmer you will find the electric ones
useless.

And rechargeable ones doubly so. I used an electric one once give more
than 6 blades of grass to cut in one stroke and it could hardly manage it.

Get you one serviced or buy a better quality one, Stihl, Honda or
Husqvarna.

I wonder who makes these little two stroke engines? I doubt it will be
McCulloch they are part of the Electrolux empire IIRC.

A service is probably a good idea and possibly some instruction in looking
after it (correct oil/fuel mix) and starting. Two strokes can be
tempremental to start and they are all a little different. There have been
starting procedures written up in here in the past.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-04-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:43:00 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

If you have used a petrol strimmer you will find the electric ones
useless.

And rechargeable ones doubly so. I used an electric one once give more
than 6 blades of grass to cut in one stroke and it could hardly manage it.

Get you one serviced or buy a better quality one, Stihl, Honda or
Husqvarna.

I wonder who makes these little two stroke engines? I doubt it will be
McCulloch they are part of the Electrolux empire IIRC.

A service is probably a good idea and possibly some instruction in looking
after it (correct oil/fuel mix) and starting. Two strokes can be
tempremental to start and they are all a little different. There have been
starting procedures written up in here in the past.

The greatest issue with a poor bad starting 2 stroke engine is fuel.
Always use fresh fuel if the machine has not been used for a few weeks.
Always drain the tank and run the carburettor dry before storing for more
than a couple of weeks.

I only mix up a tank full at a time, and empty the tank back into the mixing
bottle after use. The mixing bottle has a sealed cap, whereas the tank has a
vented cap (to allow air in as the fuel flows out) If the fuel is left in
the tank, particularly in hot weather, the lighter elements in the fuel
evaporates leaving thicker less volatile fuel. Hence difficult starting.

Mike

Old 20-04-2009, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Muddymike
writes

[...]

I am reminded of helping a friend struggling to start his tiny outboard
motor in a dinghy, during a heavy swell in Poole Harbour.

It convinced me not to mess with small infernal combustion engines...

I have an electric strimmer.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 20-04-2009, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:

[...]

The other issue is that starting from cold is usually quite easy
whereas starting a hot (or more likely a "not quite hot" engine) is
close to impossible.

So, if the OP is trying to *restart* a warm[ish] engine [s]he may be
trying the near impossible. I think it depends on the engine but some
are just not worth bothering with when warm, let them cool done
completely and start cold again.

--
Chris Green

Old 22-04-2009, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:43:00 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

If you have used a petrol strimmer you will find the electric ones
useless.

And rechargeable ones doubly so. I used an electric one once give more
than 6 blades of grass to cut in one stroke and it could hardly manage it.

not used a rechargeable strimmer (though the rechargeable hedge trimmer
that I bought last year is fine, but I only use it for trimming the
large topiaried Yews).

I've got a B&D electric Reflex Strimmer with a line that, it's fine for
what is designed for. Light strimming around the garden, basically grass
and light weeds around the base of things, I prefer it for this use
compared to a petrol one (lighter, quieter), but not really much kop
for heavier duty stuff (though I have strimmed a patch of nettles with
it, but I'd not recommend it.

But if the OP has the need of a petrol oen, then no an electric one
isn't the answer.

Get you one serviced or buy a better quality one, Stihl, Honda or
Husqvarna.

Shouldn't be hard to sort out if it's just not starting properly
--
Chris French

Old 26-04-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:00:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"mrcpea" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent rechargable or electric strimmer. ATM I
have a petrol McCulloch that I'm just about fed up with. When it
works, it's very good indeed, but getting the thing to start each time
is becoming a real pain. I want something to start when I wan it to!
The main consideration would be to have one that I can replace
(rewind) the line on, rather than use a cartridge replacement "spool"
which I assume will work out expensive. Other than that, I would be
glad of any suggestions.

Best to get the McCulloch serviced, no?

Steve

Decided to empty the fuel out, & leave it for a week. Refulled with
fresh fuel & a different sort of 2 stroke oil,replaced spark plug &
it's a lot easier to start now. I also bought some new Stihl trimmer
line, which seems superb.
Many thanks to all who replied,

M C P
Old 26-04-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Apr 2009 19:33:21 GMT, wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

[...]

Seems OK to start from warm now. I was strimming some weeds
yesterday, turned off the machine & started it a couple of minutes
later, no problem.

Thanks for your reply,

M C P

Old 26-04-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:34:03 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:43:00 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

If you have used a petrol strimmer you will find the electric ones
useless.

And rechargeable ones doubly so. I used an electric one once give more
than 6 blades of grass to cut in one stroke and it could hardly manage it.

Get you one serviced or buy a better quality one, Stihl, Honda or
Husqvarna.

I wonder who makes these little two stroke engines? I doubt it will be
McCulloch they are part of the Electrolux empire IIRC.

A service is probably a good idea and possibly some instruction in looking
after it (correct oil/fuel mix) and starting. Two strokes can be
tempremental to start and they are all a little different. There have been
starting procedures written up in here in the past.

Some instruction into looking after it is very good advice,
I did just that a couple of days ago, & it seems to work well now.

Thanks for your reply,

M C P
Old 26-04-2009, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:52:57 +0100, mrcpea
wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent rechargable or electric strimmer. ATM I
have a petrol McCulloch that I'm just about fed up with. When it
works, it's very good indeed, but getting the thing to start each time
is becoming a real pain. I want something to start when I wan it to!
The main consideration would be to have one that I can replace
(rewind) the line on, rather than use a cartridge replacement "spool"
which I assume will work out expensive. Other than that, I would be
glad of any suggestions.

TIA

M.C.P

MANY thanks to ALL who replied, seems OK now.

Regards

M C P
Old 30-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcpea View Post
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent rechargable or electric strimmer. ATM I
have a petrol McCulloch that I'm just about fed up with. When it
works, it's very good indeed, but getting the thing to start each time
is becoming a real pain. I want something to start when I wan it to!
The main consideration would be to have one that I can replace
(rewind) the line on, rather than use a cartridge replacement "spool"
which I assume will work out expensive. Other than that, I would be
glad of any suggestions.

TIA

M.C.P
I know we sell a lot of strimmers and the petrol ones are the very best . To be honest with you its like going from a ferrari to a Renault 5 . Get your McCulloch serviced. If your in the south west we can help you out.
Carp fishing
Repairs UK