Old 19-04-2009, 09:14 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple Pie Mites

I live in Scotland.
A previous owner of my house planted an apple tree.
This tree gives a great abundance of sizeable apples
which are quite sweet.

The trouble is that due to my neglect each season,
the hundreds of apples go to waste.

Frankly I don't know how to treat this tree.
What kind of spray etc should I use to prevent little
mites from spoiling the apples.

Also, the tree is near a very busy main road, and
I am a little worried about toxic fumes.

I hope someone can help. ;-)
I estimate I am good for about 3000 apple pies in September.

Glenallan
-----------
Old 19-04-2009, 09:39 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

"Glenallan" wrote
I live in Scotland.
A previous owner of my house planted an apple tree.
This tree gives a great abundance of sizeable apples which are quite
sweet.
The trouble is that due to my neglect each season,
the hundreds of apples go to waste.

Frankly I don't know how to treat this tree.
What kind of spray etc should I use to prevent little mites from spoiling
the apples.

Also, the tree is near a very busy main road, and
I am a little worried about toxic fumes.

I hope someone can help. ;-)
I estimate I am good for about 3000 apple pies in September.

The mites are the larvae of a moth that can't fly and that climbs up the
trunk of the tree to lay it's eggs. So you need to put a grease band around
the tree to trap the females by this autumn to protect the buds for next
year, it's already too late for this years crop I'm afraid.
Also make sure you don't let infected apples lay on the ground around the
tree.

My research on toxic fumes from busy roads has shown that it is only a
problem quite close to a motorway and that it washes off.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenallan View Post
I live in Scotland.
A previous owner of my house planted an apple tree.
This tree gives a great abundance of sizeable apples
which are quite sweet.

The trouble is that due to my neglect each season,
the hundreds of apples go to waste.

Frankly I don't know how to treat this tree.
What kind of spray etc should I use to prevent little
mites from spoiling the apples.

Also, the tree is near a very busy main road, and
I am a little worried about toxic fumes.

I hope someone can help. ;-)
I estimate I am good for about 3000 apple pies in September.

Glenallan
-----------
Do you mean that you find small grubs inside the apples? If so, these are the caterpillars of the codling moth, and the way to stop them is to wrap the trunk with a prepared band in winter to prevent the females crawling up to lay their eggs in the buds.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...dling_moth.asp
Old 19-04-2009, 11:46 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

The mites are the larvae of a moth that can't fly and that climbs up the
trunk of the tree to lay it's eggs. So you need to put a grease band
around the tree to trap the females by this autumn to protect the buds for
next year, it's already too late for this years crop I'm afraid.
Also make sure you don't let infected apples lay on the ground around the
tree.

My research on toxic fumes from busy roads has shown that it is only a
problem quite close to a motorway and that it washes off.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Hi Bob,
Shifting infected apples I can cope with. How about the grease trap.
What kind of grease would you recommend.?? Maybe someone could
give me the detail on this. Thanks.

My apples haven't actually burst forth yet. Isn't it possible that in
these Northern climes I can actually save them. ?

You have re-assured me about the 'toxic fumes,

Cheers, thanks again.
Glenallan
-----------

Old 20-04-2009, 04:16 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:46:04 +0100, "Glenallan"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

The mites are the larvae of a moth that can't fly and that climbs up the
trunk of the tree to lay it's eggs. So you need to put a grease band
around the tree to trap the females by this autumn to protect the buds for
next year, it's already too late for this years crop I'm afraid.
Also make sure you don't let infected apples lay on the ground around the
tree.

My research on toxic fumes from busy roads has shown that it is only a
problem quite close to a motorway and that it washes off.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Hi Bob,
Shifting infected apples I can cope with. How about the grease trap.
What kind of grease would you recommend.?? Maybe someone could
give me the detail on this. Thanks.

IMU it's usually done with a purpose-designed grease band :-
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profil...ease_bands.asp
so your local garden shop/B+Q/Homebase (or e.g Lows [?] as you seem to
be GMT -5) ought to have them but possibly not this soon before
autumn.

although this firm calls them "glue bands":
http://www.agralan.co.uk/insect.pest.html

and not to be confused with this lot who seem to be named after some
kind of device likely involved in practices currently being discussed
in another thread :-
http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/glennph...reaseband.html

Old 20-04-2009, 04:38 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

Mssrs. Hobden and Ellson are correct: the band
you paint around the trunk is made from a product
designed for the purpose. Any good garden shop
should carry tins of it. As for the fumes, apples
have a waxy exterior which is naturally resistant
to penetration by such mechanical effluvia. One
of those Fruit Washes you see in supermarkets
will clean them better than just water alone, but
personally I would be comfortable with plain H2O
from the tap and a good palm of the hand scrubbing.
(And incidentally, the tree - like all plants - thrives
on CO2 and will not mind being near the motorway
in terms of its own health at all.)

Post Me A Slice,

The Phantom Pie-per
Old 20-04-2009, 08:37 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

"Glenallan" wrote ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote
The mites are the larvae of a moth that can't fly and that climbs up the
trunk of the tree to lay it's eggs. So you need to put a grease band
around the tree to trap the females by this autumn to protect the buds
for next year, it's already too late for this years crop I'm afraid.
Also make sure you don't let infected apples lay on the ground around the
tree.

My research on toxic fumes from busy roads has shown that it is only a
problem quite close to a motorway and that it washes off.

Hi Bob,
Shifting infected apples I can cope with. How about the grease trap.
What kind of grease would you recommend.?? Maybe someone could
give me the detail on this. Thanks.

I think others have although I would say that you paint on works better than
the pregreased paper bands you tie on, I found the moth could get under the
paper if the trunk was old and knarled.

My apples haven't actually burst forth yet. Isn't it possible that in
these Northern climes I can actually save them. ?

Afraid not, the moths climb up in the autumn to lay eggs on the buds so they
are already there.

You have re-assured me about the 'toxic fumes,

Had a similar problem with a local allotment right next to the busiest part
of the M25. Looking at all the research and getting copies of papers done on
it shows it's not really a problem and reduces drastically after a few
yards. Indeed it's dust from the tyres that is the worst pollutant.
The Soil Association told me they have no rules on road pollution re crops
so your expensive "Organic" produce may come from right next to the M25 etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-04-2009, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://tinyurl.com/d66cox
--
beccabunga

Well..Yes..I think. ?
The otherwise beautiful apples have little brown
boreholes which are extremely off-putting,

Glenallan
-----------

Old 21-04-2009, 01:20 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Glenallan" wrote ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Oh Dear, this is a cautionary tale indeed.
I will have to 'medicate' the tree and hope for a
resolution to this problem by Sept 2010.

My plan to beat the credit crunch with Apple Pies
for Tesco has nose-dived ;-). Seriously , I am most grateful
to you for your assistance, and will make the appropriate
arrangements.

Glenallan
-----------

Old 21-04-2009, 01:42 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 20, 5:20*pm, "Glenallan" wrote:

I will have to 'medicate' the tree and hope for a
resolution to this problem by Sept 2010.

There is no Apple Pie more delectable than one
which has been planned for over a year!

Drawing Up Blueprints,

The Phantom Piper

Old 21-04-2009, 05:47 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

The message
from The Phantom Piper contains these words:
On Apr 20, 5:20*pm, "Glenallan" wrote:

I will have to 'medicate' the tree and hope for a
resolution to this problem by Sept 2010.

There is no Apple Pie more delectable than one
which has been planned for over a year!

Or, up there, ^ one someone-else has made (gifted) you?

--
Rusty
Old 22-04-2009, 12:41 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 21, 9:47*am, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Or, up there, ^ one someone-else has made (gifted) you?

Indeed. I am anticipating the best of both,
as I expect Glenallan to post me a pie.

And Make Sure It's Still Hot!,

The Phantom Piper
Old 23-04-2009, 01:02 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

"The Phantom Piper" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 9:47 am, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Or, up there, ^ one someone-else has made (gifted) you?

Indeed. I am anticipating the best of both,
as I expect Glenallan to post me a pie.

And Make Sure It's Still Hot!,

The Phantom Piper

----

I am the Pie-eyed Piper.

Glenallan
------------

Old 23-04-2009, 02:03 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 22, 5:02*pm, "Glenallan" wrote:

I am the Pie-eyed Piper.

Ye can keep yer 'British' pie!

(It's probably too pithy, anyway.)

Not Biting,

The Phantom Piper
Old 23-04-2009, 02:41 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,uk.rec.gardening

"The Phantom Piper" wrote in message
On Apr 22, 5:02 pm, "Glenallan" wrote:

I am the Pie-eyed Piper.

Ye can keep yer 'British' pie!

(It's probably too pithy, anyway.)

Not Biting,

The Phantom Piper

--

More the pithy.

Joe Pie Weed Foxfield United Kingdom 7 21-09-2005 11:01 PM
Pumpkin Pie Rodger Whitlock United Kingdom 17 13-03-2005 08:09 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit dstvns Gardening 9 20-07-2003 11:12 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit J. Lane Edible Gardening 3 20-07-2003 11:04 PM
robins and cow pie buffets madgard Gardening 2 10-02-2003 04:25 AM