Old 20-04-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bramble / Blackberry flowering question

Hi,
A friend gave me a bramble rooting which was then about 1 - 1.5ft
long, this was about 2 years ago. I planted it in a sunny place and
bordering a plain looking fence in order to add some colour and with
any luck a harvest of berries. This is the second summer since I
planted and although there is tremendous growth and spread of the
plant , alas no flowers. I read that you should get flowering in the
second year. Perhaps I have neglected to feed it correctly so as to
encourage a profusion of flowers ? Any guidance would be appreciated.

regards,
uc
Old 20-04-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
.................................................. ..............
"Uncle-C" wrote in message
Hi,
A friend gave me a bramble rooting which was then about 1 - 1.5ft
long, this was about 2 years ago. I planted it in a sunny place and
bordering a plain looking fence in order to add some colour and with
any luck a harvest of berries. This is the second summer since I
planted and although there is tremendous growth and spread of the
plant , alas no flowers. I read that you should get flowering in the
second year. Perhaps I have neglected to feed it correctly so as to
encourage a profusion of flowers ? Any guidance would be appreciated.

regards,
uc

No flowers on ours yet. I think you may be looking a bit too soon

Mike

Old 20-04-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle-C writes
Hi,
A friend gave me a bramble rooting which was then about 1 - 1.5ft
long, this was about 2 years ago. I planted it in a sunny place and
bordering a plain looking fence in order to add some colour and with
any luck a harvest of berries. This is the second summer since I
planted and although there is tremendous growth and spread of the
plant , alas no flowers. I read that you should get flowering in the
second year. Perhaps I have neglected to feed it correctly so as to
encourage a profusion of flowers ? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Try bending down the 'branches' in an arc to stimulate side growths
which will be more ready to flower.

If you've already got lots of side growths, then, sorry, I can't help!
--
Kay
Old 20-04-2009, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Uncle-C writes
Hi,
A friend gave me a bramble rooting which was then about 1 - 1.5ft
long, this was about 2 years ago. I planted it in a sunny place and
bordering a plain looking fence in order to add some colour and with
any luck a harvest of berries. This is the second summer since I
planted and although there is tremendous growth and spread of the
plant , alas no flowers. I read that you should get flowering in the
second year. Perhaps I have neglected to feed it correctly so as to
encourage a profusion of flowers ? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Try bending down the 'branches' in an arc to stimulate side growths
which will be more ready to flower.

If you've already got lots of side growths, then, sorry, I can't help!

It's too early in the year for flowers, at least in my neck of the
woods.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-04-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Apr, 15:30, K wrote:

Try bending down the 'branches' in an arc to stimulate side growths
which will be more ready to flower.

If you've already got lots of side growths, then, sorry, I can't help!
--
Kay

Thanks. It grew ever so quickly last year and I did bend down the
arches just to stop it sprawling everywhere. I guess this must have
resulted in the much visible proliferation of side growth this year.
Nevermind, I will show patience. The bramble seems to house numerous
little bugs which are attracting many of the local small birds, such
as blue tits and sparrows, who seem overjoyed at finding such a
bountiful eatery !

uc

Old 20-04-2009, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
Hi,
A friend gave me a bramble rooting which was then about 1 - 1.5ft
long, this was about 2 years ago. I planted it in a sunny place and
bordering a plain looking fence in order to add some colour and with
any luck a harvest of berries. This is the second summer since I
planted and although there is tremendous growth and spread of the
plant , alas no flowers. I read that you should get flowering in the
second year. Perhaps I have neglected to feed it correctly so as to
encourage a profusion of flowers ? Any guidance would be appreciated.

regards,
uc

I am fairly sure that Blackberry flowers on the 'old wood', not the current
year's shoots. SO if you were pruning back the vigorous growth last year
that could explain why you have no flowers this year. Only prune stems that
have borne fruit, and then take them right back to ground level.
R.

Old 20-04-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
.................................................. ..............
"Ragnar" wrote in message

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
[...]

I think you are wrong, but wouldn't put money on it.

"I" think the flowers and fruit appear on new growth.

Mike
Standing by to be shot down by the 'experts'

Old 20-04-2009, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

I am fairly sure that Blackberry flowers on the 'old wood', not the current
year's shoots. SO if you were pruning back the vigorous growth last year
that could explain why you have no flowers this year. Only prune stems that
have borne fruit, and then take them right back to ground level.
R.

That's correct, they definitely fruit on last years growth.
I used to train each new stem separately across the fence behind them as
they grew, and cut out last years' after fruiting.
Otherwise it's a tangle to get at the fruit next year.

Do they call it Spandeling or something like that? g
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 20-04-2009, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
[...]

Good point. In my first reading, I thought he'd had the plant longer
than he has, ie two non-flowering seasons before flowering. Blackberries
flower when? - about June?
--
Kay
Old 20-04-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Same here in Windsor.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 20-04-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ragnar
writes

I am fairly sure that Blackberry flowers on the 'old wood', not the
current
year's shoots. SO if you were pruning back the vigorous growth last year
that could explain why you have no flowers this year. Only prune stems
that
have borne fruit, and then take them right back to ground level.
R.

That's correct, they definitely fruit on last years growth.
I used to train each new stem separately across the fence behind them as
they grew, and cut out last years' after fruiting.
Otherwise it's a tangle to get at the fruit next year.

Do they call it Spandeling or something like that? g

Dont know the wnswer to that but they definitely flower on last years
growth. Mine has a total of about 25ft. of growth from last year (I cut
back all of the previous years growth in the winter) anf I am seeing
many buds on side shoots from last years growth and am expecting about
10 lbs, as I had last year.

In the autumn/early winter cut out all the wood which has fruited having
tied in and trained the new wood as it grows.

Malcolm
Old 20-04-2009, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Malcolm writes
Gordon H wrote:
In message , Ragnar
writes

[...]

The suggestion is that you train last year's growth into a fan shape,
and tie in all this year's shoots vertically. then the autumn pruning is
simple - cut all the fan shoots at the base, untie the vertical bundle
and spread them out into a fan.

If you let last year's and this year's shoots mix in with each other,
untangling them all for pruning in the autumn is a real pain, especially
when you get to the stage of each shoot being 10 ft or so.
--
Kay
Old 21-04-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

It's too early in the year for flowers, at least in my neck of the
woods.

May be in yours, but I've had flowers on mine for nearly a month.

--
Rusty
Old 21-04-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

Good point. In my first reading, I thought he'd had the plant longer
than he has, ie two non-flowering seasons before flowering. Blackberries
flower when? - about June?

Depends on the variety - mine flowers from March through to November
though mostly in April and May.

--
Rusty
Old 21-04-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

The suggestion is that you train last year's growth into a fan shape,
and tie in all this year's shoots vertically.

Vertically? Vertically! Any bramble worth the name will be scraping the
sky if grown vertically!

Train them horizontally, and if you want new plants, bend the tips to
touch ground, where they will root.

If not, don't let the canes touch the ground.

then the autumn pruning is
simple - cut all the fan shoots at the base, untie the vertical bundle
and spread them out into a fan.

Remove wood which has fruited. (With the proviso that some varieties
will fruit for two years on the 'old' wood.)

If you let last year's and this year's shoots mix in with each other,
untangling them all for pruning in the autumn is a real pain, especially
when you get to the stage of each shoot being 10 ft or so.

No problems, providing you only take short lengths - easier to feed into
the incinerator or on the bonfire thus.

--
Rusty

Bramble question Frank Booth United Kingdom 3 16-04-2014 07:44 PM
HELP!-novice gardener in need of advice to clear BRAMBLE ROOTS! Danniexxx Gardening 6 15-05-2013 06:09 PM
Bramble/blackberry davholla Edible Gardening 1 30-01-2007 09:57 PM
bramble as mulch? halibut-t Gardening 2 11-10-2005 11:02 PM
Blackberry Question and help needed Brock Bailey Gardening 22 27-07-2004 05:06 AM