Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mares tail

Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane weed
flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"Pete C" wrote:

Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would
a butane weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta

I've lived in this house since summer 1968, and I've almost
succeeded in getting rid of the mare's tail in my garden, Pete.

Never tried a flame gun though - just digging, digging, and
then more digging...

Thanks....just what I wanted to hear...not
BTW, got copper wrapped around 3 sacks with spuds in..........no snails
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 May 2009 21:54:59 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane weed
flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta

I think the flame gun would kill the tops but not the roots. It will
just keep on coming up.
Good luck!

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote...
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane weed
flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta

Never tried them cooked!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane
weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

I covered it for 3 years with woven plastic membrane and it has come
back as strong as ever. I think the roots are too tough.

The beds in use all have it even though I take it out by hand twice
per year!

The good thing is that if you do disturb the roots, it really sets it
back and it takes a while to get going again. That makes it easy to
remove in a dug bed.

There was one instance of it growing down to hundreds of feet (in a
surface mine in Australia) so I'm guessing it has the upper hand
unless you physically remove all traces!

TJ

Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pete C" wrote...
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane
weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta

Never tried them cooked!

Perhaps a nice garnish for a bit of salmon?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote:

Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would
a butane weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta

I've lived in this house since summer 1968, and I've almost
succeeded in getting rid of the mare's tail in my garden, Pete.

Never tried a flame gun though - just digging, digging, and
then more digging...

My grandfather had it and never got rid of it in 40 years. I would move
house if I had it.
Tina

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane weed
flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

I knew someone who claimed to have defeated mares tail with SBK. Took a few
years though.
HTH
R.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ragnar wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane
weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

I knew someone who claimed to have defeated mares tail with SBK. Took
a few years though.

What is SBK, please?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
.................................................. ..............
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Ragnar wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane
weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

I knew someone who claimed to have defeated mares tail with SBK. Took
a few years though.

What is SBK, please?

A liquid systemic brushwood killer. The plant takes it in through the
leaves, so don't spray just before rain.

We used a lot of it when we had our last house with a very large and some
overgrown garden.

Some plants with shiny leaves need to have an adhering agent mixed into the
SBK, we used a small amount of paraffin

Mike

Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane weed
flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

This looks like a good link
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/equisetum.asp

I had some topsoil delivered two years ago that had some horsetail (mares
tail) in it. but I picked over the surface religiously to remove all
emerging shoots. That cured the problem within one year but if you let it
get established it becomes a terrible problem - worse than any other weed
except perhaps Japanese Knotweed.

Good luck
R.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim Jesson writes

"Pete C" wrote in message
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane
weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

I covered it for 3 years with woven plastic membrane and it has come
back as strong as ever. I think the roots are too tough.

The beds in use all have it even though I take it out by hand twice
per year!

I think you need to take it out much more often than that. Basically
remove all green growth whenever you see it. I got rid of a small patch
that way. And it doesn't grow in a well-mown lawn
--
Kay
Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ragnar wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane
weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta
--
Pete C
London UK

This looks like a good link
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/equisetum.asp

Thanks.........interesting link.
Thanks all for the input
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Pete C" contains these words:

Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane weed
flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta

IKWYM, but mares tail is Hippuris vulgaris, and unless you're growing
watercress on your plot, it's rather an unlikely weed...

Horsetail OTOH...

If you pull it often enough, or cut it off with something like a thistle
spud as soon as it appears, you'll get rid of it eventually.

However, if you have any gold deposits anywhere near, gather the tops
(and as many roots as you can reach), dry them, stockpile them, burn
them, and the ash will contain enough gold to make recovery worthwhile.

Unfortunately, the only gold round here was (mainly) left in ancient
burials, and that particular magic doesn't work. I do have a mental
defector thobut.

--
Rusty
Old 03-05-2009, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Tim Jesson" contains these words:
"Pete C" wrote in message

Thinking along same lines as vegegrower in his post, would a butane
weed flame gun have any effect on Mares Tail?
Ta

I covered it for 3 years with woven plastic membrane and it has come
back as strong as ever. I think the roots are too tough.

They are just too deep. However, their reserves of energy are not infinite.

The beds in use all have it even though I take it out by hand twice
per year!

Take it out as it appears!

The good thing is that if you do disturb the roots, it really sets it
back and it takes a while to get going again. That makes it easy to
remove in a dug bed.

There was one instance of it growing down to hundreds of feet (in a
surface mine in Australia) so I'm guessing it has the upper hand
unless you physically remove all traces!

Goldmine?

thinks
How much is a ticket to Oz?
/thinks

--
Rusty

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM