Old 24-05-2009, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default should I wee on my tomato plants?

I read that urine is a good fertiliser and gardeners sometimes use their
urine as a fertiliser.?

Does this mean that I should wee on my tomato plants, or should I dilute it
& pour it on the lawn, or should I use the toilet like civilised people do ?

All help / advice/ insults / are gratefully accepted

Thanks

KK

Old 24-05-2009, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think you're taking the ****!
Old 24-05-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dido22" wrote in message
I read that urine is a good fertiliser and gardeners sometimes use their
urine as a fertiliser.?

Does this mean that I should wee on my tomato plants, or should I dilute
it & pour it on the lawn, or should I use the toilet like civilised people
do ?

All help / advice/ insults / are gratefully accepted

Thanks

KK

In this household, urine goes on the compost heap. It's an excellent source
of nitrogen. I wouldn't put it direct/full strength on plants. I have heard
that diluted 1 part urine to 20 parts (might have been 10 parts... must
check) water is a good feed for plants.

Old 24-05-2009, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

"dido22" wrote in message
I read that urine is a good fertiliser and gardeners sometimes use
their urine as a fertiliser.?

Does this mean that I should wee on my tomato plants, or should I
dilute it & pour it on the lawn, or should I use the toilet like
civilised people do ?

All help / advice/ insults / are gratefully accepted

Thanks

KK

In this household, urine goes on the compost heap. It's an excellent
source of nitrogen. I wouldn't put it direct/full strength on plants. I
have heard that diluted 1 part urine to 20 parts (might have been 10
parts... must check) water is a good feed for plants.

Do you use it neat on the compost heap or at what dilution rate is best.

Tia

Bob
Old 24-05-2009, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

Do you use it neat on the compost heap or at what dilution rate is best.

Tia

Bob

On the compost heap it just gets poured on neat.

Old 25-05-2009, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 May 2009 14:39:39 +0100, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , dido22
writes
I read that urine is a good fertiliser and gardeners sometimes use
their urine as a fertiliser.?

Does this mean that I should wee on my tomato plants, or should I
dilute it & pour it on the lawn, or should I use the toilet like
civilised people do ?

All help / advice/ insults / are gratefully accepted

Thanks

KK

Years ago, we had a long discussion here about the benefits of weeing on
the compost heap and concluded, IIRC, that urine was good for the
compost. I am not sure about tomatoes, however, although we were
advised last year that my husband should wee in the garden where the fox
came over the fence every night.

I am similarly marking my territory for our pesky foxes, in
combination with a electronic device emitting a high pitch noise and
creating various physical obstacles to foxes' paths.

Otherwise undiluted on compost heap, as an excellent accelerator. A
responsible way to recycle used tea, beer and wine.

Jiri B - "compost mentis" in North Staffs.
Old 25-05-2009, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 24, 1:52*pm, "dido22" wrote:
I read that urine is a good fertiliser and gardeners sometimes use their
urine as a fertiliser.?

Having exhausted the uses of urine how about a debate on night soil?
There must be a few old codgers like me who were brought up in the
country in the forties or earlier who have some first hand experience.
Being only a little lad with a protective mother I was not allowed to
know how the contents of the privy were processed but Grandad had the
best vegetable garden in the village!
Old 25-05-2009, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On May 24, 1:52 pm, "dido22" wrote:
I read that urine is a good fertiliser and gardeners sometimes use their
urine as a fertiliser.?

Having exhausted the uses of urine how about a debate on night soil?
There must be a few old codgers like me who were brought up in the
country in the forties or earlier who have some first hand experience.
Being only a little lad with a protective mother I was not allowed to
know how the contents of the privy were processed but Grandad had the
best vegetable garden in the village!

Certainly used to be the case in parts I grew up in that not too many years
before that, human & animal solid waste was mixed up & rotted, with plant
material, and used as fertiliser on the fields. In my early teens, an early
biology field trip was to the local sewage treatment works. Once the waste
coming into the plant had been processed, and the cleaned effluent fed into
the river, the solid waste was left to dry out and people were allowed to
come and take it for fertiliser. One benefit was that it was a source of
free tomato plants, as tomato seeds passed through human gut unchanged.
Watching a documentary recently, it was about rural farming orund the edge
of Calcutta - where the sewage enters one end of a wetland, and is cleaned
naturally as it progresses through the area. Water hyacinths remove most of
the heavy metals, and other plants absorb grease & oils... what is left is
rich in nutrients for algae which supports a huge number and variety of
fishes, and enough good stuff to grow vegetables. It was *fascinating*.

Old 25-05-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 May 2009 15:03:36 +0100, "wafflycat"
wrote:

"moghouse" wrote in message
On May 24, 1:52 pm, "dido22" wrote:
[...]

A disadvantage that led Reading BC to stop flogging cheap sewage produced
fertilisers is that the stuff was full of heavy metals.
--

Martin

Perhaps they should be doing it as in Calcutta, using water hyacinths to
remove the nasties naturally!

Old 25-05-2009, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 25, 5:24*pm, Martin wrote:

A disadvantage that led Reading BC to stop flogging cheap sewage produced
fertilisers is that the stuff was full of heavy metals.

Oi, Councillor, got any Motorhead?

Alf N. Sayftee
Old 25-05-2009, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 May 2009 06:45:07 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On May 24, 1:52*pm, "dido22" wrote:
I read that urine is a good fertiliser and gardeners sometimes use their
urine as a fertiliser.?

Perhaps you could do an experiment and give one plant the wee
treatment and see how it compares. My feeling is that it would be
much too stront neat. One pee in a can of water might be better.

Pam in Bristol

wee-wee on the lawn dido22 Lawns 7 10-06-2008 10:40 PM
dog wee killing my lawn Biller Lawns 7 12-06-2004 01:06 AM
David Wee -- how did the date go??? :) Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 18-07-2003 10:16 AM
David Wee -- how did the date go??? :) Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 13 14-06-2003 04:20 AM
Wee Willie Carola / Les Ponds 2 27-04-2003 05:44 PM