Old 29-05-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree needs a replacement

We have just cut down a two storey high pine tree that was too close to our
house.

The front garden now looks very bare. Can someone suggest a very fast and
high growing evergreen tree to place in a plastic water storage tank (so as
to prevent the roots causing any damage to the house) as a temporary
replacement?

Also can you recommend an evergreen tree to also place in the water tank,
but with the emphasis on the gracefullness and look of it rather than its
quick growing aspect?

So when this has reached a reasonable size we can replaced the quick growing
one with this tree. Thanks.

Old 29-05-2009, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-29 11:25:19 +0100, "john royce" said:

We have just cut down a two storey high pine tree that was too close to our
house.

The front garden now looks very bare. Can someone suggest a very fast and
high growing evergreen tree to place in a plastic water storage tank (so as
to prevent the roots causing any damage to the house) as a temporary
replacement?

Also can you recommend an evergreen tree to also place in the water tank,
but with the emphasis on the gracefullness and look of it rather than its
quick growing aspect?

So when this has reached a reasonable size we can replaced the quick growing
one with this tree. Thanks.

If it has root room, I'd suggest a eucalyptus of some sort. They grow
quickly. Just how big is this water tank?! If you try to keep one tree
and remove the other, won't the roots have become entangled, thus
causing damage to the one you're hoping to keep?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 30-05-2009, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-29 11:25:19 +0100, "john royce" said:

[...]

Sacha thanks. The tank is a couple of feet long and a bit less wide.
Actually we have several of these tanks and will use a tank for each tree.
So its a eucalyptus for the quick growing cover tree and would you recommend
another tree for its 'grace'.

Old 30-05-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-29 11:25:19 +0100, "john royce" said:

[...]

To be honest, I think those are too small for trees unless they're
bonsai! When you consider growing a tree, a good rule of thumb (though
not infallible) is that its roots will eventually spread as wide as its
canopy. Is there nowhere in your garden that you could grow something
that would suit you?

Old 30-05-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-29 11:25:19 +0100, "john royce" said:

[...]

Mightn't a bamboo surfice for rapid cover? It would cope with the available
space better.

Must the graceful tree also live in a tank, or is this purely temporary?
Some guidelines of what you want from the graceful tree would help. What
sort of height, width of crown. Any specific season of interest? Evergreen
or deciduous?

Spider

Old 31-05-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-29 11:25:19 +0100, "john royce"
said:

[...]

Thanks to all. Actually its really surprising how 'big' things can grow
up to in quite small boxes. Especially if you manicure the roots a bit.

Recommendations please - replacement tree [email protected] United Kingdom 11 27-09-2015 09:50 PM
Replacement tree Not@home Gardening 11 02-11-2007 12:54 PM
Replacement for a screen providing Christmas tree Richard Savage United Kingdom 0 21-08-2003 05:42 PM
My Green-machine needs a replacement (nylon) gear. J. D. Ramsaran Lawns 0 14-05-2003 01:56 AM
Non gardener needs help with bay tree Steve Drake United Kingdom 1 15-01-2003 06:08 PM