Old 10-06-2009, 11:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default barbeque cast iron grill

The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The surfaces
on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult to clean off
the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does not
sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it in a water
tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always scrape off easily.

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"john royce" wrote in message
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The
surfaces on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult to
clean off the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does
not sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it in a
water tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always scrape off
easily.

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Is it too big to go in the Dishwasher?

Other than that, a wire brush, unless you want to buy a Sand Blaster machine
;-(

Mike

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john royce wrote:
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The surfaces
on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult to clean off
the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does not
sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it in a water
tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always scrape off easily.

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

We have one similar. Cleans well on a hot BBQ... Failing that a wire
brush taken to it works OK too.

If you're not up to that, what about one of those oven-tray cleaning
bags and some caustic soda?

Gordon
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
john royce wrote:
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The surfaces
on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult to clean off
the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does not
sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it in a water
tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always scrape off easily.

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

We have one similar. Cleans well on a hot BBQ... Failing that a wire
brush taken to it works OK too.

If you're not up to that, what about one of those oven-tray cleaning
bags and some caustic soda?

Gordon

Mine (albeit stainless steel) came up well with the application of a
pressure washer.

Andrew
Old 10-06-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john royce wrote:
If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Cast iron doesn't actually rust badly - after all that's what external
waste pipes etc were made from and have a very long life.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

john royce wrote:
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The surfaces
on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult to clean off
the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does not
sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it in a water
tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always scrape off easily.

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Why bother at all? I just let mine get dead hot, and use a wire brush on it.

The heat sterilises it and turns everything to carbon, and you simply
brush that off.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

john royce wrote:
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The surfaces
on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult to clean off
the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does not
sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it in a water
tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always scrape off easily.

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

Stainless steel grills are chromium coated.

Normally the simplest way to deal with both these types of grill is to seal
or prime them first.

Coat them in vegetable fat and then bake them in a 180-200 degree C oven for
a couple of hours, and leave them to cool in the oven. Do this a couple of
times. You will then have a natural baked on non-stick coating which you
should NEVER use detergent on, just wipe off the big bits of residue with a
damp cloth.

If this proves problematic, then "bake" the bits of residue with the barbecue
on full blast for a few minutes after which point they should brush/crumble
off easily.

The same principle applies to cast iron pans and skillets...

Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:02:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Why bother at all? I just let mine get dead hot, and use a wire brush on
it.

The heat sterilises it and turns everything to carbon, and you simply
brush that off.

aol
my thoughts exactly
/aol

Old 10-06-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 10 June, 14:11, chunkyoldcortina wrote:

Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

Stainless steel grills are chromium coated.

Stainless steel grills aren't plated, as they don't need it.

Cheap grills that are chrome plated (most of them) are just mild steel
underneath, and they'll rust once wear has started the plating
flaking, or long-term rain exposure has permeated it.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

chunkyoldcortina wrote:

Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

No.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

john royce wrote:

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Cast iron is ideal for cleaning with sodium hydroxide. You need a
shallow tray large enough to take the grill, and a large dose of clue.
If you've not worked with caustic soda or any form of chemical before
this may not be for you.

You add caustic soda to water, never the other way around. It will boil
and splash. Splashes on skin must be washed off immediately in cold
water, some recommend using white vinegar but that's not necessary IMO
if you rinse under free-running water.

Splashes in eyes can result in you losing your sight so you need to wear
goggles (at least) or a full face visor. You will also need chemical
resitant gloves (NOT rubber) and a devent quality waterproof apron, PVC
or polythene.

Any splash in an eye and you need to wash in huge amounts of water and
get to a hospital straight away, but the damage is likely to be
permanent.

You need about 25g of sodium hydroxide per liter of water. This solution
is highly corrosive. I would make up the solution in the tray ensure the
sodium hydroxide has dissolved by stirring gently with a wooden spook or
paddle then lay the grill gently into the solution and leave for at
least four hours, preferably overnight. You can, oif you are careful
scrube the grill very gently with a long handled nylon brush to loosen
the grease.

Remove from the solution, wash well in water and dry immediately, if you
can leave it in an airing cupboard to dru off properly. You'll then need
to "season" the cast iron by wiping it over with edible oil. I'd then
store it in oil-soaked newspaper.

TBH it's a lot of messing about and strictly not necessary.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Andrew May wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
john royce wrote:
[...]

What make is yours? I have been looking for a gas BBQ with SS grill for
some time, but have never seen one for sale in the UK at a reasonable price
(all cast iron/ porcelain coat/ chrome plated).

Probably cheaper to make an SS grill to fit!

--
Jeff

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

john royce wrote:
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The
surfaces on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really
difficult to clean off the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it
does not sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can
soak it in a water tank for a week or two after use so the burnt
will always scrape off easily. If I soaked the cast iron one like that I
think it would quickly
turn to rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily
cleaning a rough surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Why bother at all? I just let mine get dead hot, and use a wire brush
on it.
The heat sterilises it and turns everything to carbon, and you simply
brush that off.

Yup Ten out of ten.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old 11-06-2009, 09:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
chunkyoldcortina wrote:

Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

No.

Yes- My Outback grill is. It is supposed to be heatproof but I have managed
to overheat the grills and cause the porcelain to melt.

Cast Iron plant - Cheap seller recommendation? M_Twain Texas 2 22-09-2004 09:07 PM
cast iron plant Sammy' Gardening 3 10-01-2004 12:02 PM
cast iron plant Sammy' Gardening 0 09-01-2004 08:41 PM
Cast Iron Tecumseh 10 HP HH100 Magneto Rick Warner Lawns 2 21-12-2003 03:05 PM
Cast iron lawn roller Baz United Kingdom 2 30-09-2002 08:53 AM