Old 20-07-2009, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New garden - help req

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-20 10:03:05 +0100, K said:

beccabunga writes
Picture 1 = possibly a laurel
No - because a laurel wouldn't have the light coloured undrside to
the leaves.
Could be a Griselinia littoralis?

Picture 2 = Smoke tree
Yes. Cotinus coggyria.

Picture 3 = Phormium
Picture 4 = Tree lupin
I don't think the last is a Tree lupin - the leaves aren't right.
It's just possible it's a Cytisus battandieri with little flower on
it. If the OP lives in a warmish place within striking distance of
the sea the Griselinia tolerates salt air and the Cytisus (if that's
what they are) will survive in a garden that gets only mild frost
for short periods.

Have to have a good throwing arm - Nottingham :-)

I don't know anything much about the climate in Nottingham being a
wimpy southerner! Do you have a very sheltered garden? I'm thinking
of the Cytisus which is pretty touch and go in real cold. I've even
lost one in Jersey and here in Devon.

It's in a sheltered spot, protected by the Smokebush to one side and a
fence to the other, with neighbours trees on the other side of that. It
gets a fair bit of sun despite the protection. Best guess is it's about
10-15 years old as judging by the apple trees etc the majority of the
plants were put in when the house was built about 15 years ago.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 20-07-2009, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-20 10:03:05 +0100, K said:

beccabunga writes
[...]

Wonderful - don't change a thing! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Help Req'd Delboy1616 Gardening 4 19-09-2012 09:51 AM
Help info req TR United Kingdom 15 15-12-2005 08:20 PM
req: help identify this rose (?) Michel Place Roses 6 06-04-2004 08:11 PM
First aid help req! The heads fallen off our Marguerite tree [email protected] United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 08:44 PM
gardenia help req ÑòDd¥ Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM