Old 30-07-2009, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomatoes

sutartsorric wrote:
On 29 July, 20:22, "Ophelia" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 29, 3:25 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
messagenews:e0e722aa-1061-40c8-b904-
... On Jul 29, 12:27 pm,
"Ophelia" wrote:

snippy

I know exactly what you mean, and the cynics always mention that for
the time and effort spent on growing them it would be far easier to
buy them at a supermarket.

But, those sad people do not understand the sheer pleasure in eating
ones that you have nurtured yourself through all kinds of weather, and
yours will always taste better.

snippy

It isn't just the pleasure, but also the taste..........
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-07-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

My, isn't nature wonderful

Oi! I am VERY proud of that red one, I will have you know

Oops, sorry, that didn't read well did it. It wasn't meant to be sarcatic
sounding. I never cease to be awed (sp) at how things grow.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-07-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
You mean, there are virtually no green leaves left? That doesn't sound

too happy. Have you any flowers or tomatoes?

Well, I have just been out with my camera and they have plenty of flowers.
I have been indoors all week and couldn't see them properly. Not all bad
leaves either

http://tinypic.com/2mpjye1j

When I can get out I shall post a picture.

If you have virtually no leaves left, then I wouldn't feed them.

Try taking out a walnut sized piece of compost and squeezing it. How much
water comes out? If you can get a drip or two when squeezing hard, then
that's OK. If it's like squeezing out a wet sponge, then I would say that
that is too wet, especially if it's been that way for a couple of days,
and I would try to et the compost to dry out a bit.
Bring the basket inside, or put something over it to keep the rain off
for a few days.

All advice and information stored.
Many, many thanks)

The last few days haven't been friendly for pot plants - it's been nice
not having to water them, but you can have too much of a good thing!

Indeed So, shall I continue to feed? I have put them back out in the
rain. What say you?)

I'm a bit late joining in, but I've just had a look at your great pictures.
The only thing I would do in your position, would be to remove those larger,
yellowing leaves so that the sun can get in to the heart of the plant and
ripen some more fruit for you.

Spider

Old 30-07-2009, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

My, isn't nature wonderful

Oi! I am VERY proud of that red one, I will have you know

Oops, sorry, that didn't read well did it. It wasn't meant to be
sarcatic sounding. I never cease to be awed (sp) at how things grow.

Yeah, just watch it buddy!!

Old 30-07-2009, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
I'm a bit late joining in, but I've just had a look at your great
pictures. The only thing I would do in your position, would be to
remove those larger, yellowing leaves so that the sun can get in to
the heart of the plant and ripen some more fruit for you.

Right!! I shall do that in the morning)) Thank you Do you think I
ought to take most of the leaves off, or just the big ones?

Did you see I still have flowers? Shall I continue to feed?

Old 30-07-2009, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Spider wrote:
I'm a bit late joining in, but I've just had a look at your great
pictures. The only thing I would do in your position, would be to
remove those larger, yellowing leaves so that the sun can get in to
the heart of the plant and ripen some more fruit for you.

Right!! I shall do that in the morning)) Thank you Do you think I
ought to take most of the leaves off, or just the big ones?

For now, just remove the yellowed leaves, unless you feel one leaf is
*particularly* shielding a truss of fruit. The plant still needs its
leaves. Towards the end of the growing season, I often assess my plant's
chances of ripening its fruit in time and, if necessary, remove all the
leaves then to maximise sunshine. If need be, I even remove any tiny green
fruitlets which I'm sure won't even fill out in time, let alone ripen. This
allows the plant to concentrate on swelling and ripening the remaining crop.

Did you see I still have flowers? Shall I continue to feed?

Yes, do continue feeding for now so that those flowers develop fruit and
ripen. However, (expanding on my comments above) I would start to pinch out
new flower trusses when I perceive that they will not swell and ripen in
time. There is no ideal time for this; it is dependent on your local
climate and growing conditions. It may be sooner one year than the next.
You will just get the 'feel' of it from watching the earlier fruits ripen.

Spider

Old 30-07-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

My, isn't nature wonderful

Oi! I am VERY proud of that red one, I will have you know

Oops, sorry, that didn't read well did it. It wasn't meant to be
sarcatic sounding. I never cease to be awed (sp) at how things grow.

Yeah, just watch it buddy!!

Yes miss
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-07-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 30, 12:17*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
It's so difficult isn't it, when a newbie, as Ophelia is, *to know
about under or over watering but yours is the best description of how
to diagnose that I have read. *I, like you, do the same thing if I
suspect a plant is waterlogged. *Ophelia must be having such fun
starting out; her enthusiasm carries over into the group.

Heh, thanks, Judith. *I am not too sure about that but you are very kind to
say so *I just hope I don't get on peoples nerves asking to many daft
questions

Don't be daft, or as they say in Norfolk "don't talk wet". I have
little knowledge but I enjoy passing it on, lots here are quite expert
on a number of things, without the enthusiasm of those, such as you, I
suspect they would not be here?

Judith
Old 31-07-2009, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
For now, just remove the yellowed leaves, unless you feel one leaf is
*particularly* shielding a truss of fruit. The plant still needs its
leaves. Towards the end of the growing season, I often assess my plant's
chances of ripening its fruit in time and, if necessary, remove all the
leaves then to maximise sunshine.

Right!

If need be, I even remove any tiny green
fruitlets which I'm sure won't even fill out in time, let alone ripen.
This allows the plant to concentrate on swelling and ripening the
remaining crop.

OK, that makes sense, but it will be very hard to remove them)

Did you see I still have flowers? Shall I continue to feed?

Yes, do continue feeding for now so that those flowers develop fruit and
ripen. However, (expanding on my comments above) I would start to pinch
out new flower trusses when I perceive that they will not swell and ripen
in time.

Trouble is, I don't know what 'in time' is

There is no ideal time for this; it is dependent on your local
climate and growing conditions. It may be sooner one year than the next.
You will just get the 'feel' of it from watching the earlier fruits ripen.

It is all one big experiment for me) I have tons of notes too

Thank you so much

Old 31-07-2009, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 12:17 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
It's so difficult isn't it, when a newbie, as Ophelia is, to know
about under or over watering but yours is the best description of how
to diagnose that I have read. I, like you, do the same thing if I
suspect a plant is waterlogged. Ophelia must be having such fun
starting out; her enthusiasm carries over into the group.

Heh, thanks, Judith. I am not too sure about that but you are very kind to
say so I just hope I don't get on peoples nerves asking to many daft
questions

Don't be daft, or as they say in Norfolk "don't talk wet". I have
little knowledge but I enjoy passing it on, lots here are quite expert
on a number of things, without the enthusiasm of those, such as you, I
suspect they would not be here?

'appen as like as mebbe! I am very grateful for all those who have put
themselves out to help me

I have been particularly thrilled with the 'gathering seed' thread. I
adore poppies and fully intend to grow then when I can (if I can)

Old 31-07-2009, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 July, 07:49, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
[...]

I would continue to feed them, as tomatoes need that to stay healthy.
Despite the poor recent weather I am finding that some of my cherry
tomatoes are almost ripe, so lets hope for a decent August.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sutartsorric" wrote in message

I would continue to feed them, as tomatoes need that to stay healthy.
Despite the poor recent weather I am finding that some of my cherry
tomatoes are almost ripe, so lets hope for a decent August.

Oh yes I do still have a lot of flowers too. I don't really know
when to stop allowing them to grow. Any advice would be most welcome.

Old 31-07-2009, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 July, 12:45, "Ophelia" wrote:
"sutartsorric" wrote in message

I would continue to feed them, as tomatoes need that to stay healthy.
Despite the poor recent weather I am finding that some of my cherry
tomatoes are almost ripe, so lets hope for a decent August.

* * Oh yes *I do still have a lot of flowers too. *I don't really know
when to stop allowing them to grow. *Any advice would be most welcome.

That is a tricky one. My late father in law who used to grow them
commercially (under glass) would never let his plants have more than
four trusses and no side shoots. He would be pulling his hair out if
he could see my outdoor plants which I just leave to grow to above the
tops of the stakes I have tied them to.

Nearly everyone you meet will have their own idea on whether or not to
take off any flowers above the 'n'th truss, and it depends if you want
a number of decent sized fruits or lots of variable sized ones all
over the plant.

I just grow mine for fun and to eat them whenever the mood takes me,
so I hardly ever do anything other than take the top shoot off when I
think the plant might get overloaded.
Old 31-07-2009, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sutartsorric wrote:

Oh yes I do still have a lot of flowers too. I don't really know
when to stop allowing them to grow. Any advice would be most welcome.

That is a tricky one. My late father in law who used to grow them
commercially (under glass) would never let his plants have more than
four trusses and no side shoots. He would be pulling his hair out if
he could see my outdoor plants which I just leave to grow to above the
tops of the stakes I have tied them to.

Nearly everyone you meet will have their own idea on whether or not to
take off any flowers above the 'n'th truss, and it depends if you want
a number of decent sized fruits or lots of variable sized ones all
over the plant.

Well these are meant to be wee. They are Tumblers yassee) There seems to
be plenty of trusses and variable sizes are ok with me!

I just grow mine for fun and to eat them whenever the mood takes me,
so I hardly ever do anything other than take the top shoot off when I
think the plant might get overloaded.

That sounds more like it) I will stop worrying and just let them do their
own thing! We are not exactly talking about a field full eh?

Many thanks