Old 31-07-2009, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default tomatoes

Ophelia writes
sutartsorric wrote:

Oh yes I do still have a lot of flowers too. I don't really know
when to stop allowing them to grow. Any advice would be most welcome.

That is a tricky one. My late father in law who used to grow them
commercially (under glass) would never let his plants have more than
four trusses and no side shoots. He would be pulling his hair out if
he could see my outdoor plants which I just leave to grow to above the
tops of the stakes I have tied them to.

Nearly everyone you meet will have their own idea on whether or not to
take off any flowers above the 'n'th truss, and it depends if you want
a number of decent sized fruits or lots of variable sized ones all
over the plant.

Well these are meant to be wee. They are Tumblers yassee) There seems to
be plenty of trusses and variable sizes are ok with me!

You don't need to stop those.

--
Kay

Old 31-07-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:08:21 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

The last few days haven't been friendly for pot plants - it's been nice
not having to water them, but you can have too much of a good thing!

Indeed So, shall I continue to feed? I have put them back out in the
rain. What say you?)

I'm a bit late joining in, but I've just had a look at your great pictures.
The only thing I would do in your position, would be to remove those larger,
yellowing leaves so that the sun can get in to the heart of the plant and
ripen some more fruit for you.

Tomatoes do not need to be in sunshine to ripen.

Note. In Spain, for example, they grow tomatoes on 2 rows of
canes, sloping inwards like a wigwam, deliberately, so that the
trusses hang down into the middle of the rows. They ripen perfectly
well in the shade, probably even better than in sunshine.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 31-07-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:46:34 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Do you think I
ought to take most of the leaves off, or just the big ones?

For now, just remove the yellowed leaves, unless you feel one leaf is
*particularly* shielding a truss of fruit. The plant still needs its
leaves. Towards the end of the growing season, I often assess my plant's
chances of ripening its fruit in time and, if necessary, remove all the
leaves then to maximise sunshine.

Tomatoes do NOT need to be in sunlight to ripen.
They will be quite happy to be on the plants in warm shade.

(Have you never put under-ripe toms in a darkened drawer
and seen them ripen quite happily?)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

[...]

No doubt this method takes advantage of the trapped ethyline gas given off
by the ripening fruit. It would also shade them from the much hotter
Spanish sun, which may be detrimental. By the end of the season, I hope to
give my plants all the sun and warmth they can get. When picking, I also
leave one semi-ripe tomato on the truss to help ripen any that are green.

I have tried the indoor ripening method described in your previous post, but
find that they do not ripen as well and the skins become very touch and the
flavour is not so good. I much prefer outdoor ripening and, to that end,
curtail the season so that my fruits will ripen before the frosts or before
the plant deteriorates, which ever happens first.

Spider

Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:49:17 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 12:17 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
It's so difficult isn't it, when a newbie, as Ophelia is, to know
about under or over watering but yours is the best description of how
to diagnose that I have read. I, like you, do the same thing if I
suspect a plant is waterlogged. Ophelia must be having such fun
starting out; her enthusiasm carries over into the group.

Heh, thanks, Judith. I am not too sure about that but you are very kind to
say so I just hope I don't get on peoples nerves asking to many daft
questions

Don't be daft, or as they say in Norfolk "don't talk wet". I have
little knowledge but I enjoy passing it on, lots here are quite expert
on a number of things, without the enthusiasm of those, such as you, I
suspect they would not be here?

'appen as like as mebbe! I am very grateful for all those who have put
themselves out to help me

I have been particularly thrilled with the 'gathering seed' thread. I
adore poppies and fully intend to grow then when I can (if I can)

I do not know how to do it - but any chance of you configuring your
software so that attributes/quotes show correctly.

As it is - it is not possible to differentiate what you have said and
what the PP said.

--

Vote NO to the proposed group uk.rec.cycling.moderated aka uk.rec.cycling.censored

Old 02-08-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
... On Jul 30, 12:17 pm,
"Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
messagenews:0a26b8bd-5427-4715-8faa-
[...]

I don't know how.. but I did indent to show my posts, as indeed I have
done here.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote:
[...]

They look o.k. to me, it may be that Judith's newsreader needs
tweaking.

Judith
Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I do not know how to do it - but any chance of you configuring your
software so that attributes/quotes show correctly.

I don't know how.. but I did indent to show my posts, as indeed I have
done here.

They look o.k. to me, it may be that Judith's newsreader needs
tweaking.

Seem ok here too.
Too many Judiths perhaps!

Regards
Pete

Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Judith in France" wrote in message

I do not know how to do it - but any chance of you configuring your
software so that attributes/quotes show correctly.

I don't know how.. but I did indent to show my posts, as indeed I have
done here.

They look o.k. to me, it may be that Judith's newsreader needs
tweaking.

My first reply did not indent above stuff
This one has .

- now confused !

Pete

Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete Stockdale wrote:

- now confused !

Me too

When I respond to our Judith's posts, her posts don't always have the
thingy.

To over come that, I usually indent. Perhaps it doesn't always work and I
don't know

Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Ophelia wrote
Pete Stockdale wrote:

- now confused !

Me too

When I respond to our Judith's posts, her posts don't always have the
thingy.

To over come that, I usually indent. Perhaps it doesn't always work and I
don't know

Judth's posts always appear fine in my antiquated but trusty Turnpike,
they have little chevrons like that at the beginning of each line.
the text shows up in different colours. I see you are both using
Outlook Express, which I don't know, but perhaps there is a setting that
has got unticked?

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 03-08-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete Stockdale wrote:

- now confused !

Me too

When I respond to our Judith's posts, her posts don't always have
the thingy.

To over come that, I usually indent. Perhaps it doesn't always work
and I don't know

Judth's posts always appear fine in my antiquated but trusty Turnpike,
they have little chevrons like that at the beginning of each line.
the text shows up in different colours. I see you are both using
Outlook Express, which I don't know, but perhaps there is a setting
that has got unticked?

Well no, because I get the chevrons from other posters. There is only our
Judith's that I don't get.

Most people seem to know where we are at.. as they say weg