Old 29-07-2009, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomatoes

My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

The leaves seem to be dying off, is that usual, please? Should I continue
to feed them?

Old 29-07-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 29, 12:27*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

The leaves seem to be dying off, is that usual, please? *Should I continue
to feed them?

I don't think they are actually dying off, just curling slightly?
This is usual. How often do you feed them? One tip don't let them
dry out, keep the balance of moist soil rather than dry to sodden as
you will get problems with mishapen ends and split skins, eat and
enjoy them. I might just copy your idea next year. My outdoor ones
are doing fine and ones under cover not so well!!!!

Judith
Old 29-07-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 12:27 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

The leaves seem to be dying off, is that usual, please? Should I continue
to feed them?

I don't think they are actually dying off, just curling slightly?
This is usual. How often do you feed them? One tip don't let them
dry out, keep the balance of moist soil rather than dry to sodden as
you will get problems with mishapen ends and split skins, eat and
enjoy them. I might just copy your idea next year. My outdoor ones
are doing fine and ones under cover not so well!!!!

The leaves are curling, but going yellow too. They are outside in the
rain so don't get the chance to dry out I have been feeding them once a
week. Should I keep that up?

Old 29-07-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 29, 3:25*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Jul 29, 12:27 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:

My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

The leaves seem to be dying off, is that usual, please? Should I continue
to feed them?

I don't think they are actually dying off, just curling slightly?
This is usual. *How often do you feed them? *One tip don't let them
dry out, keep the balance of moist soil rather than dry to sodden as
you will get problems with mishapen ends and split skins, eat and
enjoy them. *I might just copy your idea next year. *My outdoor ones
are doing fine and ones under cover not so well!!!!

* * The leaves are curling, but going yellow too. *They are outside in the
rain so don't get the chance to dry out *I have been feeding them once a
week. *Should I keep that up?

Well, I do as long as I have flowers, I feed, I wouldn't worry too
much about the yellow, just ensure that your feed contains adequate
magnesium.

Judith
Old 29-07-2009, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

My, isn't nature wonderful
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 29-07-2009, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
My Tumblers are covered in tomatoes and one of them is even red!!!

My, isn't nature wonderful

Oi! I am VERY proud of that red one, I will have you know

Old 30-07-2009, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 July, 20:22, "Ophelia" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 29, 3:25 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
messagenews:e0e722aa-1061-40c8-b904-
... On Jul 29, 12:27 pm,
"Ophelia" wrote:

[...]

I don't see any flowers now. *I have been feeding with 'tomato feed'

btw thank you very much for your response. *I am very grateful. *They may
only be a few tomotoes to others, but to me......))

I know exactly what you mean, and the cynics always mention that for
the time and effort spent on growing them it would be far easier to
buy them at a supermarket.

But, those sad people do not understand the sheer pleasure in eating
ones that you have nurtured yourself through all kinds of weather, and
yours will always taste better.

Yes, the bottom leaves of tomatoes regularly turn yellow and look
rather dead once there are lots of tomatoes on the plants. I assume
that the plant no longer needs them as the fruit swell is mainly
water, and the upper leaves are providing for the rest of the plant.

It is a shame that the mature plants look so dishevelled, and there is
one problem to watch out for at this time in cool/damp weather and
that is blight - but fingers crossed, so far despite all the rain
there are no signs of blight yet.
Old 30-07-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sutartsorric" wrote in message

I know exactly what you mean, and the cynics always mention that for
the time and effort spent on growing them it would be far easier to
buy them at a supermarket.

But, those sad people do not understand the sheer pleasure in eating
ones that you have nurtured yourself through all kinds of weather, and
yours will always taste better.

Thank you.

Yes, the bottom leaves of tomatoes regularly turn yellow and look
rather dead once there are lots of tomatoes on the plants. I assume
that the plant no longer needs them as the fruit swell is mainly
water, and the upper leaves are providing for the rest of the plant.

It is a shame that the mature plants look so dishevelled, and there is
one problem to watch out for at this time in cool/damp weather and
that is blight - but fingers crossed, so far despite all the rain
there are no signs of blight yet.

Awww thank you so much for your kind response) They are out in the
rain.. should I bring them in now to dry off??
The leaves do look a mess. They are mostly yellow and shrivelling. I do
have loads of tomatoes though

Old 30-07-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ophelia writes

Awww thank you so much for your kind response) They are out in the
rain.. should I bring them in now to dry off??
The leaves do look a mess. They are mostly yellow and shrivelling. I do
have loads of tomatoes though

Most leaves yellow and shrivelling is not good, bottom leaves yellow and
shrivelling is OK.

Once a leaf is yellow and shrivelling, it's not doing much for the
plant, so you might as well nip them off. A plant with a few green
leaves looks much healthier than one with a few green leaves and lots of
yellow ones - removing yellow leaves is good for the gardener's morale
;-)

They're OK in the rain if the pots/bags can grow freely, but if they're
getting waterlogged, draining the excess water would be a good idea.
leaves of waterlogged plants seem to go a sort of brownish colour and
then yellow.

--
Kay

Old 30-07-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Ophelia writes

Awww thank you so much for your kind response) They are out in the
rain.. should I bring them in now to dry off??
The leaves do look a mess. They are mostly yellow and shrivelling. I do
have loads of tomatoes though

Most leaves yellow and shrivelling is not good, bottom leaves yellow and
shrivelling is OK.

Once a leaf is yellow and shrivelling, it's not doing much for the plant,
so you might as well nip them off. A plant with a few green leaves looks
much healthier than one with a few green leaves and lots of yellow ones -
removing yellow leaves is good for the gardener's morale ;-)

Yers) I did removed some from the bottom when they were growing, on
advice from here and they did look much better. Will it matter if they are
almost stripped off now?

When I can get out I shall post a picture.

They're OK in the rain if the pots/bags can grow freely, but if they're
getting waterlogged, draining the excess water would be a good idea.
leaves of waterlogged plants seem to go a sort of brownish colour and then
yellow.

Oh dear. They are in a wicker shopping basket. I bought Tumblers because I
intended to hang it up. Unfortunately, it grew too heavy. The basket has a
waterproof lining but I punched holes in it. It does drain fine. I put it
into a large plastic box (you can see through it) standing on pieces of
styrofoam and I can see the water in the bottom of the box. When I have fed
them, and I can see it brown, I will pour it back over the plants and set it
to drain again. All advice is very much appreciated. I know I have started
small, but I am learning from this and when I do start to grow them in a
more recognised way, I shall be ready

Old 30-07-2009, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ophelia writes

"K" wrote in message

Once a leaf is yellow and shrivelling, it's not doing much for the plant,
so you might as well nip them off. A plant with a few green leaves looks
much healthier than one with a few green leaves and lots of yellow ones -
removing yellow leaves is good for the gardener's morale ;-)

Yers) I did removed some from the bottom when they were growing, on
advice from here and they did look much better. Will it matter if they are
almost stripped off now?

You mean, there are virtually no green leaves left? That doesn't sound
too happy. Have you any flowers or tomatoes?

[...]

If you have virtually no leaves left, then I wouldn't feed them.

Try taking out a walnut sized piece of compost and squeezing it. How
much water comes out? If you can get a drip or two when squeezing hard,
then that's OK. If it's like squeezing out a wet sponge, then I would
say that that is too wet, especially if it's been that way for a couple
of days, and I would try to et the compost to dry out a bit.
Bring the basket inside, or put something over it to keep the rain off
for a few days.

The last few days haven't been friendly for pot plants - it's been nice
not having to water them, but you can have too much of a good thing!
--
Kay
Old 30-07-2009, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 30, 10:59*am, K wrote:
Ophelia writes

"K" wrote in message

[...]

It's so difficult isn't it, when a newbie, as Ophelia is, to know
about under or over watering but yours is the best description of how
to diagnose that I have read. I, like you, do the same thing if I
suspect a plant is waterlogged. Ophelia must be having such fun
starting out; her enthusiasm carries over into the group.

Judith
Old 30-07-2009, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
You mean, there are virtually no green leaves left? That doesn't sound

too happy. Have you any flowers or tomatoes?

Well, I have just been out with my camera and they have plenty of flowers.
I have been indoors all week and couldn't see them properly. Not all bad
leaves either

http://tinypic.com/2mpjye1j

When I can get out I shall post a picture.

If you have virtually no leaves left, then I wouldn't feed them.

Try taking out a walnut sized piece of compost and squeezing it. How much
water comes out? If you can get a drip or two when squeezing hard, then
that's OK. If it's like squeezing out a wet sponge, then I would say that
that is too wet, especially if it's been that way for a couple of days,
and I would try to et the compost to dry out a bit.
Bring the basket inside, or put something over it to keep the rain off
for a few days.

All advice and information stored.
Many, many thanks)

The last few days haven't been friendly for pot plants - it's been nice
not having to water them, but you can have too much of a good thing!

Indeed So, shall I continue to feed? I have put them back out in the
rain. What say you?)

Old 30-07-2009, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
It's so difficult isn't it, when a newbie, as Ophelia is, to know
about under or over watering but yours is the best description of how
to diagnose that I have read. I, like you, do the same thing if I
suspect a plant is waterlogged. Ophelia must be having such fun
starting out; her enthusiasm carries over into the group.

Heh, thanks, Judith. I am not too sure about that but you are very kind to
say so I just hope I don't get on peoples nerves asking to many daft
questions