Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

Default Watering cans from Tesco

In article 3eeac27e-e745-4a7b-a17c-
,
says...
On Sep 9, 7:56*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Richard Bird" wrote in message

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Stainless Steel can rust, it depends on the grade and make up of the Steel

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Ballocks! Where did you dig up that load of shite? "SS can rust." Go
back to school, ****.

Actually Mike is correct, it can rust, it just does so much less and more
slowly and a lot depends on which grade of steel is used.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
[...]

Stainless steel can rust depending on the grade. It can also be fero
magnetic, again depending on the grade.

You're looking like a rude, obnoxious moron, never mind a ****, it's you
who needs to be going back to school.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy

Don't cut it up yet. Ask them under the freedom of information act to
provide you with details of all purchases on your clubcard for the relevant
period. Then go back to Tesco.

Steve

Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

wrote in message
In article
,
sandy58 wrote:
On Sep 9, 7:56=A0am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Richard Bird" wrote in message
"tony" wrote in message
..=

.
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised
because=

as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Stainless Steel can rust, it depends on the grade and make up of the
Stee=

Ballocks! Where did you dig up that load of shite? "SS can rust." Go
back to school, ****.

In this thread, Mike Crowe knows a hundred times as much as the
people who are abusing him, and is being a lot politer. He is
entirely correct. Please troll elsewhere.

Many grades of stainless steel are merely rust-resistant, even in
good conditions, and there is no good reason to make gardening
equipment out of surgical-grade stainless steel.

But even the best stainless steels will corrode (and 'rust' is a
fair term) under extremely hostile conditions, such as largely
anaerobic seawater. It's a big problem in marine engineering.
The seawater removes the oxide coating, and the residual oxygen
then attacks the iron.

Metals corrode. If it doesn't corrode, it's gold, and then someone nicks it.

Steve

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On 9 Sep, 10:09, "shazzbat" wrote:
wrote in message

In article
,
sandy58 wrote:
On Sep 9, 7:56=A0am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Richard Bird" wrote in message
"tony" wrote in message
..=
.
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

I allways thought that gold was a metal.

Francis

Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Why would anyone want to buy anything from tesco at all?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default (OT)Watering cans from Tesco

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:54:28 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Why would anyone want to buy anything from tesco at all?

Half-price wine, free delivery and double points does it for me
sometimes,

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
jks jks is offline

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"tony" wrote in message

Why would anyone want to buy anything from tesco at all?

In my experience if you have a receipt they give an instant refund. In one
case having got a refund I bought an identical replacement which was cheaper
than the faulty one had been. If you can't be bothered arguing at the store
a letter to their head office always seems to work wonders.

I can't understand why my battered 60 year old galvenised watering can shows
no signs of rust.

John

Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Some of us did that a long time ago ;-)

T*s*o is shop of last resort
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:26:11 +0100, "wafflycat"

wrote:

I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Some of us did that a long time ago ;-)

T*s*o is shop of last resort

Frinton is that resort.
--

Martin

No........ Blackpool

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco. At the
start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust and
leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt I am
reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because of the
cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude I will probably
cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because
as far as i was aware s/s does not rust

A common misconception. If the surface is starved of oxygen, so that it
cannot form a protective coating of oxides on its surface, stainless
steel
is no more corrosion resistant than mild steel.

Colin Bignell

Ah but then if the surface is starved of oxygen the surface cannot rust
since rust is actually Iron Oxide (Fe2O3 if you prefer). The process of
rusting requires oxygen. The way stainless steel works is that the
chromium content (alloyed) reacts with oxygen (rusts) and produces an
impenetrable layer which prevents further rusting.

Being starved of oxygen does not necessarily imply that it is completely
excluded. It is possible for the amount of oxygen available to be sufficient
for the iron to rust, but insufficient for the chromium dioxide to form. The
most notorious incidence of this was about 30 years ago, when a number of
yachts lost their ballast keels as a result of the stainless steel bolts
rusting just as if they had been mild steel.

Colin Bignell

Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
[...]

Read a fascinating book once, "The Golden Keel". Desmond Bagley I believe
:-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:31:47 +0100, "nightjar".me.uk wrote:

As they are rusting they patently aren't stainless steel, ...

Stainless steel is not rust-proof. It is merely rust resistant.

The test here is what a "reasonable person" would expect from
something labled as "stainless steel", not the techinical details of
particular metal alloys and their properties.

To a "reasonable person" something called "stainles steel" does not
corrode or take permenant marks, like cutlery or or cooking pans. Now
if the grade of "stainless steel" is mentioned that would have a
bearing on the matter but it could be argued that a normal person
wouldn't know what the grade meant in terms of corrosion resistance.

All stainless steel, irrespective of grade, is capable of rusting. Some are
less likely than others to corrode in normal use, but even marine grade
stainless steel is capable of rusting, as a number of yacht owners
discovered about 30 years ago, when their ballast keels fell off.

In this case, unless the OP did something like fill the can with soil and
use it to grow plants, which would be a misuse almost guaranteed to cause
corrosion, I would look at the country of origin. European, Japanese and
American steels can generally be trusted to be what they claim to be, but
the same is not true of all steel manufacturing countries.

Colin Bignell

Old 09-09-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
[...]

Dead right. Having sailed yachts for 20+ years, S/S fittings and rails do
rust in time.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

In article ,
jks wrote:

I can't understand why my battered 60 year old galvenised watering can shows
no signs of rust.

Hot zinc coated. None of this namby-pamby electroplated crap. It
will rust, in time, but the time is proportional to the thickness
of the coating.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.