Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

Default Watering cans from Tesco

Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Better not shop at Dobbies then!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"Richard Bird" wrote in message

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Stainless Steel can rust, it depends on the grade and make up of the Steel

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

Richard Bird wrote:
"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Depends what grade it is. Some S/S are poorly corrosion-resistant, whereas
those used for culinary or marine purposes are very good. In general, the
old adage "you get what you pay for" applies very well to S/S.

--
Jeff

Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 21:23:55 -0700 (PDT), tony wrote:

Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.

Do they have "stainless steel" and "tesco" marked on them anywhere?
Sticky label with the barcode on the bottom maybe?

As they are rusting they patently aren't stainless steel, point this
out to the store duty manager and if you have no joy draw your local
Trading Standards into the discussion under the Trades Description
Act.

A stainless steel watering can should out last your grandchildren...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

Richard Bird wrote:
"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Some "stainless" steels do rust and some are magnetic also. High grade
SS doesn't rust, but you wouldn't normally use that for a watering can.
It is difficult to work with.

Fridge magnets will do for a quick test. A stainless that is non
magnetic is probably fully corrosion resistant. A magnetic one may not be.

If the watering can is one of the small window ledge ones they offered
last year then I have one and it is still fine. The SS grade is
borderline just magnetic - a fridge magnet doesn't quite fall off but
slides to the bottom of the can.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

A common misconception. If the surface is starved of oxygen, so that it
cannot form a protective coating of oxides on its surface, stainless steel
is no more corrosion resistant than mild steel.

Colin Bignell

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
As they are rusting they patently aren't stainless steel, ...

Stainless steel is not rust-proof. It is merely rust resistant.

Colin Bignell

Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
CT CT is offline

tony wrote:

Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy

You don't actually need a receipt but some proof of purchase helps.

Have a look at the Sale Of Goods Act fact sheet[1]. I once
successfully returned a faulty item to B&Q sans receipt, but I had to
speak to a manager and threaten them with showing a printout of the
SOGA.

[1]
http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/cons...laimmy rights

--
Chris

Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco. At the
start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust and
leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt I am
reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because of the
cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude I will probably
cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because
as far as i was aware s/s does not rust

A common misconception. If the surface is starved of oxygen, so that it
cannot form a protective coating of oxides on its surface, stainless steel
is no more corrosion resistant than mild steel.

Colin Bignell

Ah but then if the surface is starved of oxygen the surface cannot rust
since rust is actually Iron Oxide (Fe2O3 if you prefer). The process of
rusting requires oxygen. The way stainless steel works is that the
chromium content (alloyed) reacts with oxygen (rusts) and produces an
impenetrable layer which prevents further rusting.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 21:23:55 -0700 (PDT), tony wrote:

Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.

Do they have "stainless steel" and "tesco" marked on them anywhere?
Sticky label with the barcode on the bottom maybe?

As they are rusting they patently aren't stainless steel, point this
out to the store duty manager and if you have no joy draw your local
Trading Standards into the discussion under the Trades Description
Act.

A stainless steel watering can should out last your grandchildren...

--

Stainless steel is a name of a particular type of metal alloy, not a
description.

mark

Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Stainless Steel can rust, it depends on the grade and make up of the Steel

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Ballocks! Where did you dig up that load of shite? "SS can rust." Go
back to school, ****.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:31:47 +0100, "nightjar".me.uk wrote:

As they are rusting they patently aren't stainless steel, ...

Stainless steel is not rust-proof. It is merely rust resistant.

The test here is what a "reasonable person" would expect from
something labled as "stainless steel", not the techinical details of
particular metal alloys and their properties.

To a "reasonable person" something called "stainles steel" does not
corrode or take permenant marks, like cutlery or or cooking pans. Now
if the grade of "stainless steel" is mentioned that would have a
bearing on the matter but it could be argued that a normal person
wouldn't know what the grade meant in terms of corrosion resistance.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

In article ,
sandy58 wrote:
On Sep 9, 7:56=A0am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Richard Bird" wrote in message
"tony" wrote in message
..=

.
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because=

as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Stainless Steel can rust, it depends on the grade and make up of the Stee=

Ballocks! Where did you dig up that load of shite? "SS can rust." Go
back to school, ****.

In this thread, Mike Crowe knows a hundred times as much as the
people who are abusing him, and is being a lot politer. He is
entirely correct. Please troll elsewhere.

Many grades of stainless steel are merely rust-resistant, even in
good conditions, and there is no good reason to make gardening
equipment out of surgical-grade stainless steel.

But even the best stainless steels will corrode (and 'rust' is a
fair term) under extremely hostile conditions, such as largely
anaerobic seawater. It's a big problem in marine engineering.
The seawater removes the oxide coating, and the residual oxygen
then attacks the iron.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.