Old 30-11-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rain rain go away...

On 2009-11-30 15:34:19 +0000, "Kate Morgan" said:

--

I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much point
in doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house onto

kate

How about planting up some pots that you could take with you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-11-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-30 15:34:19 +0000, "Kate Morgan"
said:

--

I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much point
in doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house onto the
market next year, of course it might not sell for ages but I dont feel
like spending money for someone who may not be interested :-( so I will
continue to read what you are all going to do

kate

How about planting up some pots that you could take with you?
--
Sacha

As long as you tell the prospective purchaser of you intentions.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 30-11-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-30 16:54:18 +0000, Jennifer Sparkes said:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Big - and rather bad snip ...

It's one Ray bred here and you've reminded me to put it on the site!

Yes - I *know* you will! Actually, I've just asked him if there are
any for sale and he's got to take more cuttings. I do nag him about this
but does it get me anywhere.....

*Please* keep nagging him Sacha I would love to buy a plant or two
for the troughs I am replanting. Green Lanes too ...

Jennifer

I did just that last night, Jennifer. And I said we really should
propagate Green Lanes, too and label it with the background of Cecil
Wyatt breeding it. Of course, you'll probably have to come and collect
them personally. Or perhaps we should meet in Tresco. ;-))
He has a few D. Green Lanes coming on at the moment because someone who
is writing a biography of Wyatt hasn't got it and had never even heard
of it but would like some. I think I'd like rather a lot more of them
here and there around the place. I've always had a soft spot for these
charming and old-fashioned little plants, so I'm hoping they'll regain
their place in gardeners' affections one of these days. I wonder if
many/most of us have nostalgic memories (if we're old enough!) of
parental and grandparental gardens and their flowers. I still
associate Aubretia with my grandfather because he had masses of it
tumbling over his front garden's wall. We have a customer who comes to
the tea room quite regularly and he's blind. He was sitting on the
lawn one day when Ray picked one of the D. Green Lanes and handed it to
him and said "see how you like this". The man was just blown away by
the scent, so we picked him a few to take home and he went off happily
sniffing at them as he left. I think his poor guide dog may even have
been a bit confused!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much point in
doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house onto the
market next year, of course it might not sell for ages but I dont feel
like spending money for someone who may not be interested :-( so I will
continue to read what you are all going to do

You could plant what containers you are going to plant up, ready to take
with you ;-)

And which favourite plants you are going to propagate to take with you.
That is best done sooner rather than later.
--
Kay

When we came to our present house I brought lots of pots with me but found
to my delight that the previous owners had a very similar taste in gardening
and planting to me, so I need not have brought so many, the chances of that
happening again are fairly remote and as we are moving up to Scotland I
guess that gardening there will be different to gardening in here in
Gloucestershire. I have however started collecting my best loved plants
such as Pheasant berry fuchsias and bays.

kate

Old 01-12-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

On 2009-11-30 16:54:18 +0000, Jennifer Sparkes said:

*Please* keep nagging him Sacha I would love to buy a plant or two
for the troughs I am replanting. Green Lanes too ...

Jennifer

I did just that last night, Jennifer. And I said we really should
propagate Green Lanes, too and label it with the background of Cecil
Wyatt breeding it. Of course, you'll probably have to come and collect
them personally. Or perhaps we should meet in Tresco. ;-))

Look forward to coming, let me know when they are ready.

I certainly will - some time in the spring, I should think.

Tresco well that is sooh tempting. I would love to visit again,
but without the rain! Must put it on my wish list, well I do
that after every programme of 'An Island Parish' ...

Jennifer

We had 4 blissful nights there this year and the weather was perfect.
We couldn't believe our luck - it was in June and really warm and
sunny. We've noticed there's very little about Tresco in An Island
Parish this time round but it does get a lot of publicitiy in other
ways.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

On 2009-11-30 16:54:18 +0000, Jennifer Sparkes said:

[...]

It wasn't until yesterday that we realised that it wasn't yet another repeat.
How many episodes have we missed?
We had the roughest crossing of the North Sea that we have had for decades on
Saturday night despite the captain promising moderate winds and a comfortable
crossing. We did wonder if he was on the same ship as us.

Ah, you're back - I did wonder if you'd found it a bit bouncy. ;-(
Island Parish is on every Monday so how long have you been away for?
;-))
Here's the list of programmes and some are repeats
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...sodes/upcoming
--
Sacha

Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2009-11-30 15:34:19 +0000, "Kate Morgan" said:

--

I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much
point in doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house
onto the market next year, of course it might not sell for ages but I
dont feel like spending money for someone who may not be interested
:-( so I will continue to read what you are all going to do
kate

How about planting up some pots that you could take with you?

Can we start another thread then for what's best for winter pots. Most I
see are usually weird combinations or those blasted artificial looking
heathers and cabbages

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2009-11-30 15:34:19 +0000, "Kate Morgan" said:

--
I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much point
in doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house onto
the market next year, of course it might not sell for ages but I dont
feel like spending money for someone who may not be interested :-( so I
will continue to read what you are all going to do
kate

How about planting up some pots that you could take with you?

Can we start another thread then for what's best for winter pots. Most
I see are usually weird combinations or those blasted artificial
looking heathers and cabbages

We have Euryops chrysanthemoides in the ones outside our front door.
They've done well in the past (different plants) but I'm not sure how
they'll do in this already wet and cold winter.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We have Euryops chrysanthemoides in the ones outside our front door.
They've done well in the past (different plants) but I'm not sure how
they'll do in this already wet and cold winter

Hmm they are yellow ... I liked some of that lady that lives in
Northampton, Kathy somebody or other, she did have good combinations,
under planted with bulbs but i lost her list

and what about hanging baskets?

Janet

Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-04 18:33:04 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
We have Euryops chrysanthemoides in the ones outside our front door.
They've done well in the past (different plants) but I'm not sure how
they'll do in this already wet and cold winter

Hmm they are yellow ... I liked some of that lady that lives in
Northampton, Kathy somebody or other, she did have good combinations,
under planted with bulbs but i lost her list

and what about hanging baskets?

Janet

Yup, winter pansies, Ophipogon (black one) ivies, tete a tete daffs etc. etc.
I take it you don't like yellow?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Yup, winter pansies, Ophipogon (black one) ivies, tete a tete daffs etc. etc.
I take it you don't like yellow?

Too right no ideas why, just don't like yellow/orange. Finding it
jarring/unrelaxing (if that's a word.)
Like citrus yellow though and the bronzey orange that echinacea can go.

Your plant list would be okay unless the hanging basket is above eye
level surely?
First time I've thought about winter baskets and only because people
keep asking me for ideas!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-05 17:35:08 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes

Yup, winter pansies, Ophipogon (black one) ivies, tete a tete daffs etc. etc.
I take it you don't like yellow?

Too right no ideas why, just don't like yellow/orange. Finding it
jarring/unrelaxing (if that's a word.)
Like citrus yellow though and the bronzey orange that echinacea can go.

Your plant list would be okay unless the hanging basket is above eye
level surely?
First time I've thought about winter baskets and only because people
keep asking me for ideas!

I'll go out and get a full list tomorrow because there are some pretty
trailing things and one has a little blue flower and my memory has gone
walkabout! Yellow is my favourite colour but I love what I call
'Greek' blue and bronze tones.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
How about planting up some pots that you could take with you?

Can we start another thread then for what's best for winter pots. Most I
see are usually weird combinations or those blasted artificial looking
heathers and cabbages

Mine currently have some ivy, pansies, cyclamen and some kind of
non-trailing lobelia, apparently. (They don't look like any kind of
lobelia I've seen!)
Oh, it could be this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobelia_inflata

Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Yup, winter pansies, Ophipogon (black one) ivies, tete a tete daffs etc. etc.
I take it you don't like yellow?

Too right no ideas why, just don't like yellow/orange. Finding it
jarring/unrelaxing (if that's a word.)
Like citrus yellow though and the bronzey orange that echinacea can go.

How odd. My aunt hates yellow flowers, too. We managed to get away
with marigolds, but mostly she planted buzy lizzies, since they are all
pinky bluey white!

Rain rain go away Nad R Gardening 12 29-05-2011 11:43 PM
Rain, Rain, Rain Dave Hill United Kingdom 15 07-07-2009 10:24 AM
Rain...Rain....Rain David Hill United Kingdom 47 02-01-2004 01:51 AM
Rain, rain go away...!? [email protected] Gardening 9 09-06-2003 11:56 AM
Rain, rain go away! Damage report from Southern, CA A guy named Emil Roses 2 15-02-2003 07:39 PM