Old 30-11-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Problem with Deteriating Lawn

I have a lawn about 70 sq. yds and at present it is not in good
condition.
Several Readings give a Ph of 7.5 to 8.0 and I understand that a PH
of about 6.5 is desirable!
May I ask if anyone has any ideas in order to rectify this situation?
Ideas as to what to apply and when would be most welcome
I have top dressed it after spicking it for the last 2-years, and I
am wondering if this has thrown the Ph out of balance.
Thanks,
Reg Sweetmore
Old 30-11-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-30 17:19:08 +0000, diamonds said:

I have a lawn about 70 sq. yds and at present it is not in good
condition.
Several Readings give a Ph of 7.5 to 8.0 and I understand that a PH
of about 6.5 is desirable!
May I ask if anyone has any ideas in order to rectify this situation?
Ideas as to what to apply and when would be most welcome
I have top dressed it after spicking it for the last 2-years, and I
am wondering if this has thrown the Ph out of balance.
Thanks,
Reg Sweetmore

I am absolutely not a lawn expert but it will help others who are, if
you tell us what the lawn looks like and what it's suffering from. Do
you see worms or wormcasts, for example? Is it under a heavy tree
canopy? Does it drain quite well, or does it have water lying on it in
winter etc.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-11-2009, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Nov, 17:48, Sacha wrote:
On 2009-11-30 17:19:08 +0000, diamonds said:

[...]

The Lawn is a bit weedy, no overhanging trees, quite a few
wormcasts,drains quite well with no lying water.
Looks a bit tatty and I think the PH needs lowering to bring it to
6.5.
Thank you for your comments.
Old 30-11-2009, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"diamonds" wrote in message
I have a lawn about 70 sq. yds and at present it is not in good
condition.
Several Readings give a Ph of 7.5 to 8.0 and I understand that a PH
of about 6.5 is desirable!
May I ask if anyone has any ideas in order to rectify this situation?
Ideas as to what to apply and when would be most welcome
I have top dressed it after spicking it for the last 2-years, and I
am wondering if this has thrown the Ph out of balance.
Thanks,
Reg Sweetmore

Hi Reg

Nice to see you :-))

Regards to your good lady. Still doing that wonderful needlework?

Mike and Joan

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 30-11-2009, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
diamonds writes
On 30 Nov, 17:48, Sacha wrote:
On 2009-11-30 17:19:08 +0000, diamonds said:

[...]

I take it you haven't heard of Google
Http://www.lawnexperts.co.uk/AdjustingYourSoilsPH.html

--
hugh

Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Nov, 18:56, "'Mike'" wrote:
"diamonds" wrote in message

I have a lawn about 70 sq. yds and at present it is not in good
condition.
Several Readings give a *Ph of 7.5 to 8.0 *and I understand that a PH
of about 6.5 is desirable!
May I ask if anyone has any ideas in order to rectify this situation?
Ideas as to what to apply and when would be most welcome
I have top dressed it after spicking it for the last 2-years, and *I
am wondering if this has thrown the Ph out of balance.
Thanks,
Reg Sweetmore

Hi Reg

Nice to see you :-))

Regards to your good lady. Still doing that wonderful needlework?

Mike and Joan

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Mike, how nice to hear from you and Joan.
Sylvia is still beavering away, but at the moment producing clothes
and toys for our new Great Grandson Oliver.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"diamonds" wrote in message
On 30 Nov, 18:56, "'Mike'" wrote:
"diamonds" wrote in message

[...]

.................................................. ....

RUBBISH, neither of you are old enough to have '''''''''''''Great'''''''''''
Grandchildren ;-))

Love to you and Sylvia from both of us

--
Mike

Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Dec, 16:30, "'Mike'" wrote:
"diamonds" wrote in message

On 30 Nov, 18:56, "'Mike'" wrote:

"diamonds" wrote in message

[...]

.................................................. ...

RUBBISH, neither of you are old enough to have '''''''''''''Great'''''''''''
Grandchildren ;-))

Love to you and Sylvia from both of us

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

We are honest!! I am now 80 years young and feel 90.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"diamonds" wrote in message
We are honest!! I am now 80 years young and feel 90.

But not one of these two I hope ;-)) ?

Two elderly gentlemen from a retirement centre
were sitting on a bench under a tree when one
turns to the other and says,

"Sam, I'm 83 years old now and I'm just full of
aches and pains. I know you're about my age.
How do you feel?"

Sam says, "Well, I feel just like a new-born baby."

"Really!? Like a baby!?"

"Yep. No hair, no teeth, and I think I just wet myself.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
The only drawback with feeding is that it
encourages the grass to grow, which then means it has to be cut!

Indeed!! Thank goodness for a bit of frost - I was beginning to think I
would have to get the lawn mower out again and trim the top off.
--
hugh

Old 01-12-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

The Lawn is a bit weedy, no overhanging trees, quite a few
wormcasts,drains quite well with no lying water.
Looks a bit tatty and I think the PH needs lowering to bring it to
6.5.
Thank you for your comments.

I take it you haven't heard of Google
Http://www.lawnexperts.co.uk/AdjustingYourSoilsPH.html

With that attitude we might as well abandon this ng if 'Google it' becomes
the standard reply.

mark

Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-01 21:31:21 +0000, "mark" said:

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

The Lawn is a bit weedy, no overhanging trees, quite a few
wormcasts,drains quite well with no lying water.
Looks a bit tatty and I think the PH needs lowering to bring it to
6.5.
Thank you for your comments.

I take it you haven't heard of Google
Http://www.lawnexperts.co.uk/AdjustingYourSoilsPH.html

With that attitude we might as well abandon this ng if 'Google it' becomes
the standard reply.

mark

The whole point of urg is personal experience as well as expertise,
people learning from scratch and people posting who've gardened for
years. We have nurserymen posting here; we have gardeners who have
made gardens all over UK and in some cases, other parts of the world;
we have young people starting out with a young family in their first
garden; we have older people having to give up a particular way of
gardening to accommodate old age or back problems etc.; we have people
who have allotments and people who grow no food at all. We have people
with no more than a balcony or a window box, or even a window sill.
We have *everything* here and it's an extremely valuable resource. Of
course Googling is useful but absolutely nothing beats, or even equals,
the accumulated, personal knowledge that is accessible here. And it
costs nothing. All that expertise, experience,
learning-through-mistakes, is free. Nothing equals it, IMO.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Dec, 16:58, "'Mike'" wrote:
"diamonds" wrote in message

We are honest!! I am now 80 years young and feel 90.

But not one of these two I hope ;-)) ?

Two elderly gentlemen from a retirement centre
were sitting on a bench under a tree when one
turns to the other and says,

"Sam, I'm 83 years old now and I'm just full of
aches and pains. I know you're about my age.
How do you feel?"

Sam says, "Well, I feel just like a new-born baby."

"Really!? Like a baby!?"

"Yep. No hair, no teeth, and I think I just wet myself.

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

WE are not quite that bad YET, But give us time.
All the best to you both & early Seasons Greetings.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Dec, 18:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:19:08 -0800 (PST), diamonds

wrote:
I have a lawn about 70 sq. yds and at present it is not in good
condition.
Several Readings give a *Ph of 7.5 to 8.0 *and I understand that a PH
of about 6.5 is desirable!
May I ask if anyone has any ideas in order to rectify this situation?
Ideas as to what to apply and when would be most welcome
I have top dressed it after spicking it for the last 2-years, and *I
am wondering if this has thrown the Ph out of balance.
Thanks,
Reg Sweetmore

Look out for a copy of Hessayon's book 'The Lawn Expert'; probably out
of print but available second-hand. I wouldn't worry about pH,
Hessayon doesn't even mention it. I'm no lawn expert, but a few years
ago my lawn was in a pretty poor condition. It's much better now after
I over-sowed it with a B&Q grass seed mixture, followed by a few years
of individually spraying dandelions, clover, plantains etc with
selective lawn weedkiller, and feeding it a couple of times a year
with a lawn fertiliser. The only drawback with feeding is that it
encourages the grass to grow, which then means it has to be cut!

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks for your useful comments Chris.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"diamonds" wrote in message
WE are not quite that bad YET, But give us time.
All the best to you both & early Seasons Greetings.

:-)) good

Best wishes and Season's Greetings to you too