Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damn villains

Went down the allotment site yesterday for a few veg for dinner and was
confronted by the site of all the sheds on the site being broken into, doors
or what's left of them flapping in the breeze. To get to the sheds they had
smashed rabbit fences and gates. Luckily with no shed we only had big
footprints in the soft earth were I had already dug as they walked across
our plot.
Luckily I spotted a cache of stuff hidden by the gates and took it home
after advising the Police.
Spent the rest of the day dealing with the Police, a SOCO, putting notices
on all sheds for the Police, and advising as many plotholders as I could by
phone or personally. Still today I've had to go down to the site again.
Yet the Council can't give me contact details of all the plotholders because
of Data Protection!!!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-12-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

I think you are just tooooooo polite calling them 'villians' :-((

The Council are of course correct in not giving out the plot holders contact
details BUT now is an excellent opportunity to have 'someone' (you?) to
collect those details and use them amongst yourselves. Call yourself a
'Membership Secretary' if you like and you can collect the details and you
can then contact members as required. You will NOT be contravening the Data
Protection Act as long as you act in the manner described.

Hope that helps

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-07 12:58:31 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

Went down the allotment site yesterday for a few veg for dinner and was
confronted by the site of all the sheds on the site being broken into,
doors or what's left of them flapping in the breeze. To get to the
sheds they had smashed rabbit fences and gates. Luckily with no shed we
only had big footprints in the soft earth were I had already dug as
they walked across our plot.
Luckily I spotted a cache of stuff hidden by the gates and took it home
after advising the Police.
Spent the rest of the day dealing with the Police, a SOCO, putting
notices on all sheds for the Police, and advising as many plotholders
as I could by phone or personally. Still today I've had to go down to
the site again.
Yet the Council can't give me contact details of all the plotholders
because of Data Protection!!!

Oh Bob, how really awful. This isn't the first time either, IIRC. I'm
so sorry to read of this. It's totally beyond me to understand what
brings people to the point of doing this sort of thing but all I can
say is they must live very miserable lives. One can't imagine them
getting very far in life, either. I should tell the Council jobsworth
that you expect them to contact all the allotment holders and that if
they don't, they put the Council at risk of legal action for not taking
steps to protect their tenants' interests.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-12-2009, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Went down the allotment site yesterday for a few veg for dinner and was
confronted by the site of all the sheds on the site being broken into,
doors or what's left of them flapping in the breeze. To get to the sheds
they had smashed rabbit fences and gates. Luckily with no shed we only
had big footprints in the soft earth were I had already dug as they
walked across our plot.
Luckily I spotted a cache of stuff hidden by the gates and took it home
after advising the Police.
Spent the rest of the day dealing with the Police, a SOCO, putting
notices on all sheds for the Police, and advising as many plotholders as
I could by phone or personally. Still today I've had to go down to the
site again.
Yet the Council can't give me contact details of all the plotholders
because of Data Protection!!!

Yes they can! Jobsworths...

--
Rusty
Old 07-12-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 2009-12-07 12:58:31 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

Jobsworth rays!

--
Rusty

Old 07-12-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Well it turns out that the Council themselves have now made contact or left
messages for all the other plot holders, saves me a job. I have also been
able to get the details of some that have contacted me for future reference.
The Police have now proved to be a bunch of .......... because they told one
plot holder that each shed has to go down as separate crimes whereas I was
given a number for all the site which they were all to quote so they could
all be linked, they then said they knew nothing about me having found stuff
when I'd given them a list and their SOCO had been round and fingerprinted
it. I despair some times.
Strangely only the petrol Strimmer and the petrol Generator (?) have been
claimed so far so it look like I might gain stuff.
I think they were disturbed. Looking at the site today and the footprints
they appear to have been collecting stuff on the plot by the main gates as
they went through each shed, the cache I found.
A shed near our plot which is also next to our only neighbouring property
had a Cultivator in it that wasn't moved despite the shed being broken into,
that neighbour breeds some large dogs (Dogue de Bordeaux) so perhaps they
started barking and frightened them off. They would put the fear of God into
anyone in the dark, especially when they bark on mass.
Anyway, looks like damage was the only outcome.
They will be back though IDC, guaranteed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Get some luminous paint (or better, reflective), and arrange some 'eyes'
around the area...

I'm afraid mantraps are no longer allowed, and deep holes (with sharp
stakes at the bottom) covered with twigs are onsidered a hazard by Elfin
Safety.

--
Rusty
Old 07-12-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Went down the allotment site yesterday for a few veg for dinner and was
confronted by the site of all the sheds on the site being broken into,
doors or what's left of them flapping in the breeze. To get to the sheds
they had smashed rabbit fences and gates. Luckily with no shed we only had
big footprints in the soft earth were I had already dug as they walked
across our plot.
Luckily I spotted a cache of stuff hidden by the gates and took it home
after advising the Police.
Spent the rest of the day dealing with the Police, a SOCO, putting notices
on all sheds for the Police, and advising as many plotholders as I could
by phone or personally. Still today I've had to go down to the site again.
Yet the Council can't give me contact details of all the plotholders
because of Data Protection!!!

I feel for you Bob, this happened to our site a few years ago. And yes, AIUI
they have to go down as separate (but linked) crimes, one per victim. Out
cop was gutted by this as it trashed his statistics for the month. I put a
note from me into all the sheds inviting them to get in touch.

Steve

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes
Well it turns out that the Council themselves have now made contact or
left messages for all the other plot holders, saves me a job.

That's the best way around. I know I'd be a bit annoyed if the Council
passed my details on without authorisation, even with the best of
intentions.

I'm really sorry you've had the trouble. It's not just the value of
what's been taken, it's the work to sort everything out and to tidy the
mess.
--
Kay
Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-07 16:52:25 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Maybe a few sheds could have those 'trembler' type car alarms in them?!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Possibly, but who would hear them. The best thing is not to have a shed at
all. A couple of us old guys have said all along that with most of the "new"
plot holders all seemingly wanting and erecting sheds it would all end in
tears. When we went there there was only one shed on the whole site and
there had been no problems for 20 years or more, now with 8 sheds we get
trouble for the first time.
I appreciate few would want an old 90 (Defender) van like me, but as most
of the plot holders travel to the site by car I can't understand why they
don't use a small trailer for the tools, they can be left in it if you can
push the trailer into a garage back home. They are so cheap they wouldn't
cost much more than a shed anyway and it frees up some land for plants. If
in walking distance then a good wheelbarrow works well.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Maybe a few sheds could have those 'trembler' type car alarms in them?!

There's another elderly design which is triggered by a change in
pressure - like when a door opens. (Or the wind gets in under it...)

--
Rusty
Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote

What a sad and dreary state of affairs....
I can imagine (well, I probably can't actually) the kind of responses you
might have had some 65 years ago when "dig for victory" was all the rage.
Where it actually made sense to cultivate some land in and around cities.
That time may well be coming again...!!
On the other hand, it is a sad indictment that there are some people in
our midst that feel they need to destroy this approach by stealing what is
probably tools not worth huge sums of money (..I know....they can be
expensive) that when sold to produce a 'profit' is then, most likely spent
on drugs. The disruption is enormous for what might be viewed (..by the
Police?) as a trivial offence.
It certainly isn't.
I despair at times at where we have taken our society that brings us such
total disregard for others... I fight a constant battle to remain positive
about humans and humanity and, if I may say so, I find in this small NG
alone where the spirit of helping others remains positive and practical
and encouraging.
By the way, ba hoo to the Police (and all those others who hide behind the
Data Protection Act - a new phenomenon that has become *******ised to suit
whatever ends the data holder wishes to achieve)who are unable to
distinguish between assisting the community and honest genuine citizens,
in this case, the owners of the sheds on the allotment, and those with
ulterior intent, for the information to be shared with other owners of
sheds/allotments.
I'm also surprised you actually saw a Policeman..... best I've ever had is
a crime reference number from a civilian answering the phone in a call
centre.........phwewh, I'm starting to sound soooo cynical!
good luck in all you have to do..

I always say I won't let the buggers get me down. They aren't worth it. We
just try to organise our life to outwit the idiots, it's not that difficult.
I didn't see a Policeman only a SOCO in civvies and a plain white van. When
my Landrover was stolen a few years back I never saw a Policeman and only
had them phone me twice, once was to tell me a member of the public had
found it in Slough. When it was broken into this year I had 2 x 2 come round
here and numerous phone calls so I think they are getting better at PR.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-12-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Never really had much time and certainly no respect whatsoever for the
Police on the Isle of Wight. (Could write a book of examples) ..............

HOWEVER, full marks. TEN Brownie points etc for ..........

http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/c...crime-menu.pdf

Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 8 Dec, 16:27, Janet Baraclough wrote:
* *In my view it's ridiculous to lay all the blame on the thieves . You
can bet, few of them steal tools to use in their own garden.

* * Who are all those keen gardeners today who provide ready cash for
cheap secondhand *garden and DIY tools, garden ornaments and furniture,
tubs and hanging baskets
*of no known provenance, no questions asked at the car boot sale? If
there was no market for them, garden shed contents would *be of little
interest to thieves.

I share those reservations, yet gardeners are forever being exhorted
by those who should know better to go seeking good old tools at car
boot sales etc.
Good new tools are not that expensive these days - but don't go
expecting to find them in yer everyday garden centre.

Rod