Old 20-12-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beautiful day!

~Brian~ wrote:
Sacha wrote:

snippy
Cold last night here in South Kent, but the further heavy snowfalls
predicted did not come to pass. Beautiful sunny day, blue sky,
slightltly chilly and the ice on the roads is treacherous!

Same here in Erith. Partial thaw then freeze has left pavements, side roads,
car parks etc.. like skating rinks. (Just been hospital
visiting........don't the Trusts have a duty of care to make car parks
safe?)
More promises of heavy snow tonight.........yeah, right!
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Old 20-12-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold last
night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped entirely.
But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns still have all
their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy. I wonder how long
that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's quite nice to have the
place to ourselves just for that short time. Now we wait for the
'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far after all. How's
everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well - soon be spring if the
alliums coming through are anything to go by!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

We've had a lovely bright day here in SE London. Very chilly though and
with snow cover, although no fresh fall for a day or two. Hope it stays
that way, as RG is driving just now. Actually, it's his birthday today, so
he did well to get a sunny-ish day. Roast pheasant for his special dinner
tonight, so I'd better put the oven on ....

Enjoy your 2 wk break, Sacha!
Spider

Old 20-12-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I was in my local early Thursday evening and someone came in saying it
had started to snow. Like excited children, several (of us) went
outside to witness the event, but after a few flakes it stopped and
that was that. Cold here in TQY and sunny by day with overnight lows
in the -1 to -2C region, so nothing compared to what is going on
further east and north. A white Christmas might be nice, but I have
to do the 200-odd mile drive north towards the end of the week, so I'm
in two minds about the prospect.
Old 20-12-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 15:45:45 +0000, "Pete C" said:

'Mike' wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and
happy. I wonder how long that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and
it's quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short
time. Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get
this far after all. How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah
well - soon be spring if the alliums coming through are anything
to go by! --
Sacha

Much the same here on the Isle of Wight.

and it would be nice when you all report in to say where you are. :-)

Yep.....so easy to put it in sig

I've begged, I've beseeched on bended knee, I've said I'll go to my
grave with that plea engraved on my heart but .... ;-(

Old 20-12-2009, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 16:54:55 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Spider. The work of the Nursery goes on but in a slightly
more downkey way but the break is very pleasant when it comes. Please
wish RG a very, very happy birthday from us. His birthday is about as
well-timed as that of one of our grandchildren on 28th December. ;-)

Old 20-12-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 17:34:42 +0000, Dave Poole said:

I was in my local early Thursday evening and someone came in saying it
had started to snow. Like excited children, several (of us) went
outside to witness the event, but after a few flakes it stopped and
that was that. Cold here in TQY and sunny by day with overnight lows
in the -1 to -2C region, so nothing compared to what is going on
further east and north. A white Christmas might be nice, but I have
to do the 200-odd mile drive north towards the end of the week, so I'm
in two minds about the prospect.

We've had some ice here and there on paths, just enough to make us wary
when walking around the place and the lawns are very 'crisp', if not at
all even! I can't imagine how you got snow so close to the sea and we
didn't. I still hope for a little snow for Christmas but not enough
to stop us flying to Jersey just after the Day.

Old 20-12-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 16:54:55 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I will, of course. Thank you.
Mmmm .. it's not the best timing. I blame his mum - or I would, if sex had
ever reared it's ugly head in her presence!

Spider

Old 20-12-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 20 Dec, 18:32, "Spider" wrote:

On 2009-12-20 16:54:55 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Spider- Hide quoted text -

All we had of the snow was a light dusting on friday night, and today
was a nice sunny day here in the Swansea area. Last night we had a bit
of rain but the temp only went down to around 30f and today it's been
up to 39f, .
Even so this frost of the last few days has put paid to any chance of
a dahlia in flower outside on Xmas day, I had 5 very poor specimins
just about holding on, we also had a few fuchsia and one solitary
flower on what I always called Senecio Greyii, but which I gather is
now known as Greyii.
David Hill
Old 20-12-2009, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 16:54:55 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I can think of a few answers to that - but possibly not in a family
newsgroup! ;-)

Old 21-12-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold last
night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped entirely.
But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns still have all
their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy. I wonder how long
that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's quite nice to have the
place to ourselves just for that short time. Now we wait for the
'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far after all. How's
everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well - soon be spring if the
alliums coming through are anything to go by!

It's snowing here in Windsor, again!

Just to cheer you all up!

Alan

Old 21-12-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

It's snowing here in Windsor, again!

Just to cheer you all up!

Alan

Snowing in Reading. Just had an email from daughter (1) who is supposed to
be coming down to us tomorrow for a huge great big Christmas Day Party with
the rest of the family at daughter (3)'s Medieval Barn . One huge great
advantage, she has a 4 wheel drive Subaru Impreza, BUT, when I had a 4 wheel
drive Subaru Legacy Estate, if some prat with rear wheel drive has blocked
the road ............................. you are stuck toooooooooooooooo.

Heavy rain here on the Isle of Wight

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 21-12-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 20 Dec, 11:23, Sacha wrote:
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. *It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. *But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy.
*I wonder how long that can last! *We're shut for 2 weeks and it's
quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short time. *
Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far
after all. *How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? *Ah well -
soon be spring if the alliums coming through are anything to go by!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Just a light dusting of snow on Saturday, but cold (for this neck of
the woods in North Wales) Minus 2 over Saturday night and hovering +/-
2 since.
I've been using the time to make a fence/trellis along our roadside
and up to the house to replace a nearly derelict Leylandii hedge we
inherited when we came here 9 months ago. The Leylandii will be
replaced by some old climbing roses on the fence and a modest
collection of old shrub roses in the borders in front. They're all
selected for health and perfume so it's going to be quite something.
Can't be many more rewarding ways of passing some cold days than
setting about a Leylandii hedge with a chainsaw and a tirfor winch -
most of the roots came out more or less intact so at least along the
roadside preparing the border shouldn't be too difficult. The part
across the 'lawn' up to the house is made ground and it's almost all
stones, rocks and builders' rubble so that's a pick axe job for a few
more cold days.
After 40 odd years of gardening for other people and no proper garden
of our own I'm surprised to find myself enjoying gardening at home
even more than when I was working despite the much smaller scale.

Rod
Old 21-12-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , alan.holmes
writes
It's snowing here in Windsor, again!

Just to cheer you all up!

Alan

Snowing heavily again here in Amersham also, it's been snowing since
about 3pm so it's quite thick on the ground but very surreal looking
outside at all the covered trees etc.,
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-12-2009, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-21 17:32:44 +0000, "alan.holmes" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold last
night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped entirely.
But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns still have all
their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy. I wonder how long
that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's quite nice to have the
place to ourselves just for that short time. Now we wait for the
'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far after all. How's
everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well - soon be spring if the
alliums coming through are anything to go by!

It's snowing here in Windsor, again!

Just to cheer you all up!

Alan

I should think we had all of two dozen flakes of snow today. But it
rained. If it freezes tonight - HEY HO on the lanes tomorrow!

Old 22-12-2009, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 16:54:55 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure we appreciate your restraint! :~)

Spider