Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Visitors

For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of Fieldfares in
the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit of research to
identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have taken
some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I collected a
carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the ground about
15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with camera. For the
first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After a while a solitary
fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased off by the blackbirds.
Eventually I got my shots, but the light was failing by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in the
next few days.

mark

Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote ...
For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of Fieldfares in
the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit of research to
identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have taken
some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I collected a
carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the ground about
15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with camera. For the
first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After a while a solitary
fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased off by the blackbirds.
Eventually I got my shots, but the light was failing by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in the
next few days.

We were sitting in the car about 2 hours ago waiting at some level crossing
gates when we noticed some thrush like birds eating the pyracantha berries
right next to us in an office car park. At first glance I thought they were
Fieldfares then I realised they were Redwings neither of which have I ever
seen in this area before.
We have noticed lots of "thrush" like birds with spotted breasts around here
lately, I'll have to take more notice.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of Fieldfares in
the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit of research to
identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have taken
some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I collected a
carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the ground about
15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with camera. For the
first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After a while a solitary
fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased off by the blackbirds.
Eventually I got my shots, but the light was failing by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in the
next few days.

I had to look up 'fieldfares'. I hadn't heard of them. Hurry up with those
piccies, mark

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 05-01-2010, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-05 15:57:04 +0000, "Ophelia" said:

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I've heard of them but I don't think I've ever seen them. I wonder if
they congregate round here. I saw a jay about 100 yards from our place
the other day - first time that's happened.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"mark" wrote ...
[...]

We seem to be getting unusual 'thrush size' visitors as well.

Saw a redwing (female, I think) for the first time in the back garden.
Next day we saw a Greater Spotted Woodpecker.

Perhaps we are becoming more aware, but normally we have loads of blackbirds
and the occasional thrush.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"mark" wrote ...
[...]

They come regularly from colder parts of Europe - esp. Scandinavia. What
beautiful additions they are to our landscapes and gardens. I suspect
they may push on seeking somewhere less like home if this weather keeps
on. There's no snow in Sacha's area (yet?) so sheltered parts of Devon,
Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly may well have more than normal. They
love windfalls and can get a bit tipsyish sometimes:-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
N. Dorset
Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
For the past few days there has been a large flock, 100+ of Fieldfares in
the garden. I didn't recognise them and had to do a bit of research to
identify.

They have been feeding on windfall apples from three trees. I have taken
some photo's yesterday which was easier said than done. I collected a
carrier bag full of apples (the bait) and put them on the ground about
15-20ft from a small window, me behind the curtain with camera. For the
first couple of hours nothing, then blackbirds. After a while a solitary
fieldfare came over only to be persistently chased off by the blackbirds.
Eventually I got my shots, but the light was failing by this time.
I've yet to have a look at the pics but will upload any successful in the
next few days.

This time of year fieldfares and (usually a little later) redwings
arrive from N. Eastern Europe, mainly Scandinavia.

Most years we had them in flocks round our apple trees - we had 36 fruit
tree, mainly apples.

--
Rusty
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
mark wrote:
[...]

Following Marks practise I put a few apples out this morning, so was
rewarded with a fieldfare this afternoon, never consciously seen one
before. took a book and binoculars to identify it. As I have an
abundance of apples from last years bumper crop I will continue putting
them out. Of late jays and woodpeckers have become common visitors to my
garden in low level North Staffordshire. When young in Somerset Jays
were only seen in woods.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Probably be at the w/end as the camera they are on is elsewhere.
I'm not a birdy-nerd but I knew that these were different to the usual. Also
it was as much about the challenge of getting a pic.

I looked them up on the RSPB site, not rare but on 'Red-Alert' meaning that
their numbers are declining fast.

Mark

Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/DSC_0277.jpg

Fieldfare getting all territorial over the feeding area.
According to my book they are supposed to feed in flocks during the winter
but this one wasn't letting any other bird near the food.
When it eventually left the blackbirds were a bit more into sharing, but not
much.