Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default snowing again

Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment

kate
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment
kate

Apparently there is snow in Suffolk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_lLvJfLJY

mark

Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:15:31 -0000, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment

The midnight sundial knows nothing of the passing hour.

I shall only say dis de wunce.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 13-01-2010, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote...
Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment

Nice covering of snow here this morning, thank goodness for the 90
(Defender), off to Shepperton shortly and hope there are no abandoned
vehicles in our way.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-01-2010, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Jan 13, 8:05*am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Nice covering of snow here this morning, thank goodness for the 90
(Defender), off to Shepperton shortly and hope there are no abandoned
vehicles in our way.

Luckily, all we had during the afternoon and evening was rain and
occasional sleet, but it was driven by a raw south-easterly wind. A
cloudy, less windy night allowed temperatures to remain well above
freezing and now that the wind has abated, today feels like a typical
January day for this part of the country. Temperatures are on the
rise for the rest of the week, so fingers-crossed, that's the end of
it.

Old 13-01-2010, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"Kate Morgan" wrote...
Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment

Nice covering of snow here this morning, thank goodness for the 90
(Defender), off to Shepperton shortly and hope there are no abandoned
vehicles in our way.

Leeds - tiny bit of precipitation of some sort overnight which has
frozen into a quarter inch of sheet ice. People are slithering around
all over the place.

Apart from that, our snow cover is still looking good. Drove down to
Sheffield yesterday, clear M1 with beautiful views, but the main roads
across the Pennines are still closed.
--
Kay
Old 13-01-2010, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote...

"Kate Morgan" wrote...
Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment

Nice covering of snow here this morning, thank goodness for the 90
(Defender), off to Shepperton shortly and hope there are no abandoned
vehicles in our way.

Well no abandoned vehicles but a few accidents causing problems and roads
closures, heavy traffic moving at walking pace. Thawing now so really slushy
and over ice in places, hope it doesn't freeze again tonight.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-01-2010, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 12, 10:15*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment

kate

Here Kate, have a little of my snow, these pics were taken yesterday.
We are expecting another heavy fall tonight and for the next few
days. I am so glad we grew our own veggies and I have a big supply of
root crops in which will see me through any siege!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d7d8y8.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/k9tmq0.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/20zsmbn.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ufvl93.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/wleuq1.jpg

Judith in France
Old 13-01-2010, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Jan, 14:29, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 04:24:17 -0800 (PST), "countymayo.j"

wrote:
On Jan 12, 10:15*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
Its snowing in the Forest of Dean at the moment

kate

Here Kate, have a little of my snow, these pics were taken yesterday.
We are expecting another heavy fall tonight and for the next few
days. *I am so glad we grew our own veggies and I have a big supply of
root crops in which will see me through any siege!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d7d8y8.jpght...com/wleuq1.jpg

Get rid of /IMG

Very nice.
Did you see my suggestion elsewhere that you should buy snow shoes and or
langlauf/nordic skis?
--

Martin

Here in coastal South Wales we had around 4 inches of snow yesterday
afternoon and night, this morning the thaw has set in and water is
dripping from the trees and bushes.
Took these first thing this morning
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aymorning1.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...daymorning.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aymorning2.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aymorning5.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...morning10..jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...thScotland.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aymorning4.jpg
David Hill
South Wales coast
Old 13-01-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:30:44 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill wrote:

Here in coastal South Wales we had around 4 inches of snow yesterday
afternoon and night, this morning the thaw has set in and water is
dripping from the trees and bushes.

I donno 4" of snow that will have disappeared in a couple of days and
it's headline news. This is Day 31 (4 weeks 3 days) of lying snow for
us, it started with 6" in the first couple of days. Three of the five
roads(*) out are closed, and have been for well over a week if not
three weeks, one is passable with care but if the wind gets up or we
have some more snow that will close very quickly. The last is OK
ATM... Due to the national reduction in rocksalt use some local roads
are only being ploughed. If you haven't a 4WD or a car with decent
winter or M&S tyres on it it's skis or walking...

This is snow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsort...7623181240760/

(*) 4 "A" roads, 1 "B" road not little country lanes.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 13-01-2010, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Jan, 15:48, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Nice set of pictures.
I lived in E. Sussex when I was young, we had snow chains etc and 3
times in 10 years had to dig our way out through drifts of 8 to 10 ft
to get to the local village.
Here in our costal strip of South Wales this winter with our 4 inches
of snow is a vary rare occurance,
My neighbour aged 83 has never seen snow like it or experienced such
prolonged cold as we have just had and he has lived within 1 mile of
where he lives now all his life.
When I moved here it was 6 years before we had even a dusting of snow,
and we didn't have a frost going down below 28f, and that was only 2
or 3 times in a winter.
David Hill
Old 13-01-2010, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Here Kate, have a little of my snow, these pics were taken yesterday.
We are expecting another heavy fall tonight and for the next few
days. I am so glad we grew our own veggies and I have a big supply of
root crops in which will see me through any siege!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d7d8y8.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/k9tmq0.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/20zsmbn.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ufvl93.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/wleuq1.jpg

Judith in France

Nice pictures Judith but thank you we have enough snow here :-) I went out
to take some pictures this evening but got sidetracked watching a buzzard
looking for his/her supper

kate

Old 13-01-2010, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 13, 7:24*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
Here Kate, have a little of my snow, these pics were taken yesterday.
We are expecting another heavy fall tonight and for the next few
days. *I am so glad we grew our own veggies and I have a big supply of
root crops in which will see me through any siege!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d7d8y8.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/k9tmq0.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/20zsmbn.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ufvl93.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/wleuq1.jpg

Judith in France

Nice pictures Judith but thank you we have enough snow here :-) *I went out
to take some pictures this evening but got sidetracked watching a buzzard
looking for his/her supper

kate

I don't have a clue about birds, except buzzards, we have them here,
eagles, kestrels. I am amazed how long they hover over their prey
before swooping down. I saw a hare and some rabbits today very easily
as they show up against the snow quite clearly. My dog also saw them
and took off like a shot; she couldn't get to them quickly enough
because of the deep snow.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Jan, 08:28, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

I lived in E. Sussex when I was young, we had snow chains etc and 3
times in 10 years had to dig our way out through drifts of 8 to 10 ft
to get to the local village.

So did I Dave, born and brought up between Rye and Hastings. Lived there
until I finally left home, after college, at the age of 20. Whereabouts were
you?

I can remember the snow of 1947 and again bad snow in 1958 or (1959?).
Probably before you time though.

Jennifer - now in Bristol

In 1947 we were living in North wales and I remember walking along the
beach breaking the Ice.
Re Hastings, we lived on a lane that lead from the Ridge to Westfield
called Stonestile Lane.
I used to cycle to go fishing in Breed River.
Where about were you Jennifer?

Judith, Re the dahlias, I have my doubts as the ground was frozen when
the snow fell so it will have held the cold in, but they were ones I
didn't need, but was hopeing to lift and sell the tubers.
Such is life
David Hill
Old 14-01-2010, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:11:36 +0100, Martin wrote:

I'm married to a human knitting machine.

Is she plain or pearl?

--