Old 16-12-2010, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default snowing again!

Thursday 17.15pm
rain turned to sleet then thick snow about half an hour a go here in
Amersham, now reduced to slight snow but given that it is now dark and
maybe more to come i wouldn't be surprised if we wake up to it covering
the ground tomorrow! At the moment it's melting as it touches the
ground,

Janet
(just to let you know if it heads your way)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-12-2010, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Thursday 17.15pm
rain turned to sleet then thick snow about half an hour a go here in
Amersham, now reduced to slight snow but given that it is now dark and
maybe more to come i wouldn't be surprised if we wake up to it covering
the ground tomorrow! At the moment it's melting as it touches the ground,

Janet
(just to let you know if it heads your way)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

We have rain here on the Isle of Wight, but snow is forecast and I have the
first of my many Christmas Socials tomorrow night :-((

(Have some invitations which I have had to turn down ;-( You can't be in two
places at once)

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 16-12-2010, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:17:51 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Thursday 17.15pm
rain turned to sleet then thick snow about half an hour a go here in
Amersham,

Ah it's got down there then. The first cold front came through here
at 0745 the second at 1100. Gave a couple of inches of snow on top of
the overnight rain. Temp has been at or below freezing since the
first front through so the slush has now frozen solid and it's like
an ice rink out there.

Currently -6.3C and falling under clearish skies. The Higlands are
just about keeping the showers streaming down from the arctic at bay.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 16-12-2010, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 16, 6:31*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:17:51 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Thursday 17.15pm
rain turned to sleet then thick snow about half an hour a go here in
Amersham,

Ah it's got down there then. The first cold front came through here
at 0745 the second at 1100. Gave a couple of inches of snow on top of
the overnight rain. Temp has been at or below freezing since the
first front through so the slush has now frozen solid and it's like
an ice rink out there.

Currently -6.3C and falling under clearish skies. The Higlands are
just about keeping the showers streaming down from the arctic at bay.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Here just outside Swansea we had some rain this morning but reached
46f (For those who change, thats around 8c) now it's down to 37f, but
we are actualy back to MUD, soft and squishy, clinging to my boots.
The forecast is for snow starting tonight and going on for most of the
next few days, never mind we had 2 shopping trips today and must have
bought up most of Aldi, Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons, so at least
the birds and cat will be OK, and with around 11 pints of milk I'll
still be able to have my cuppa as and when.
Old 17-12-2010, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Thursday 17.15pm
rain turned to sleet then thick snow about half an hour a go here in
Amersham, now reduced to slight snow but given that it is now dark and
maybe more to come i wouldn't be surprised if we wake up to it covering
the ground tomorrow! At the moment it's melting as it touches the ground,

Janet
(just to let you know if it heads your way)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Overnight 16/17 Dec we've had about 12cm snow - this is going to mess up
lpans for today :-(

I suspect Dave over there in Mumbles is also suffering.

Bill

Old 17-12-2010, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 17, 8:28*am, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Thursday 17.15pm
rain turned to sleet then thick snow about half an hour a go here in
Amersham, now reduced to slight snow but given that it is now dark and
maybe more to come i wouldn't be surprised if we wake up to it covering
the ground tomorrow! At the moment it's melting as it touches the ground,

Janet
(just to let you know if it heads your way)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Overnight 16/17 Dec we've had about 12cm snow - this is going to mess up
lpans for today :-(

I suspect Dave over there in Mumbles is also suffering.

Bill

First impression is that we have had 6 to 8 inches of snow with more
to come, will know better when I've been out with the camera.
David Hill
Overlooking Swansea
Old 17-12-2010, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 00:47:47 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

[...]

The difference a few miles can make - you're at the west end of
Swansea Bay and I'm at the east end, just inland from Porthcawl, and
here only about 3 inches but still falling steadily though I wouldn't
say heavily.
Jake
Old 17-12-2010, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 16, 5:17*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Thursday 17.15pm
rain turned to sleet then thick snow about half an hour a go here in
Amersham, now reduced to slight snow but given that it is now dark and
maybe more to come i wouldn't be surprised if we wake up to it covering
the ground tomorrow! At the moment it's melting as it touches the
ground,

Here in Lincolnshire it rained all thursday morning, then turned to
damp snow about 14:00, which left a thin blanket on the grass. It
stopped by 15:00, the skies cleared and we had a -6 frost by this
morning, with the ground jolly hard.
Old 17-12-2010, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-12-17 08:47:47 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

First impression is that we have had 6 to 8 inches of snow with more
to come, will know better when I've been out with the camera.
David Hill
Overlooking Swansea

That's a lot overnight! I hope the plants don't suffer. And even as I
type, more sow is falliing here but not very thickly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Lucky for you it is not thick - you should be able to dodge the downward
critters (:-)
A Sunny 37c here.

Regards
Pete

Old 17-12-2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:57:22 +0000, Jake wrote:

The difference a few miles can make - you're at the west end of
Swansea Bay and I'm at the east end, just inland from Porthcawl, and
here only about 3 inches but still falling steadily though I wouldn't
say heavily.

No more snow up here, the showers coming from the north are not
getting past the Highlands as useual. It;s just cold, -8C last night
max so far -3.8C.

The couple of inches of solid ice that formed on the roads is slowly
softening and breaking up now that they have been treated. Of the two
gritters that live in the town, yesterday morning one was sent to
Penrith (Grrr...) and the other broke. So they couldn't get any salt
down before the mornings traffic induced slushy snow froze solid.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-12-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-12-17 16:03:11 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:11:12 -0000, "Pete"

On 2010-12-17 08:47:47 +0000, Dave Hill

said:

First impression is that we have had 6 to 8 inches of snow with more
to come, will know better when I've been out with the camera.
David Hill
Overlooking Swansea

That's a lot overnight! I hope the plants don't suffer. And even as
type, more sow is falliing here but not very thickly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Lucky for you it is not thick - you should be able to dodge the
downward
critters (:-)

far too much falling litter?
snip

Don't hog the limelight!

Uncouth porkies!

You're making a pig's ear of it, Martin. ;-)
--

Ah! but you tried to use a sows ear - even worse (:-)

="http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/You+can't+make+a+silk+purse+out+of+a+sow's+ear

Pete