Old 18-03-2010, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What causes black bits inside potatoes?

Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can sometimes
be quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free potatoes.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 18-03-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote
Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can sometimes
be quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free potatoes.

If you mean a black ring around the inside of the potato, that is Sprang.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 18-03-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/03/2010 18:56, Bob Hobden wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote
Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can sometimes
be quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free potatoes.

If you mean a black ring around the inside of the potato, that is Sprang.

I wouldn't say it was a ring, really more random dark patches (grey /
black) typically the size of a sugar cube. I noticed it again today
while cutting up some shop bought potatoes for chips. If it is some
sort of disease perhaps I shouldn't compost the peelings?

Old 18-03-2010, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-03-18 18:24:57 +0000, David in Normandy
said:

On 18/03/2010 18:56, Bob Hobden wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote
Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can sometimes
be quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free potatoes.

If you mean a black ring around the inside of the potato, that is Sprang.

I wouldn't say it was a ring, really more random dark patches (grey /
black) typically the size of a sugar cube. I noticed it again today
while cutting up *some shop bought potatoes for chips. If it is some
sort of disease perhaps I shouldn't compost the peelings?

I wonder if this is frost damage? * And I really do mean "I wonder"
because I'm far from being a veg. expert. * But a lot of potatoes have
been damaged by frost this winter.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

I always thought it was something to do with to much nitrogen
fretilizer, but can find no referance for it.
Did find this however, doesn't answer the question, but is
interesting.
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ml?view_img=11
David Hill
Old 18-03-2010, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

If it is some
sort of disease perhaps I shouldn't compost the peelings?

Ever since my mother taught me the basics of gardening xx years ago,
I've never composted potatoe peeling. I think I was told that they would
grow either in the compost or not rot and grow when the compost was
spread on the garden.

Mind you this was all before fancy compost bins, worms, compost
maker/accelerator and the desire to produce compost quickly.

I've often wondered if this advice is sound, what do people think? I
still use a two year copmposting cycle.

Roger T

Old 18-03-2010, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/03/2010 22:16, RogerT wrote:
The ge.fr
from David in contains these words:

If it is some
sort of disease perhaps I shouldn't compost the peelings?

Ever since my mother taught me the basics of gardening xx years ago,
I've never composted potatoe peeling. I think I was told that they would
grow either in the compost or not rot and grow when the compost was
spread on the garden.

Mind you this was all before fancy compost bins, worms, compost
maker/accelerator and the desire to produce compost quickly.

I've often wondered if this advice is sound, what do people think? I
still use a two year copmposting cycle.

Roger T

I use those black plastic compost bins - like a very large dustbin with
no bottom. Peelings just vanish into the compost. The only survivors
tend to be (rarely) from larger pototoes discarded into the compost -
e.g. those that are starting to sprout - so I no longer put those in.

We've got tons of lawn clipping to put in too - and they make the bins
extremely hot, especially with some of my free liquid human compost
accelerator ;-)

The compost is often turned around and back into the garden in 6 months.
Sometimes less during the hot summer months.

Old 19-03-2010, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Potato peelings DO rot (very fast)

They don't. Sometimes it takes months for them to rot down,
which is why I never put them in the wormery.

I got told to stop putting potato peelings in the wormery because they were
growing and the worms didn't like it. (Tbh, I never heard them complain,
but he probably talks to them more than I do)

and don't regrow either in the compost or later in the garden.

They most certainly do. I have often eaten the results of the tattie
peelings that had been put in the compost heap... Not so much
now, with modern composters, but certainly have done so in the past.

I got a small pile of potatoes out of the composted soil earlier this year.
Best overwintered potatoes I've ever managed!
Old 19-03-2010, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/03/2010 10:48, Sacha wrote:

I should think that in some peelings there must be some 'eyes' or
potential ones, anyway.

Maybe it depends on how thick the peelings are? I use a speed peeler
which peels the skin off as thin as a fine sheet of paper. People who
peel using a knife are more likely to cut thicker peelings with more
chance of intact 'eyes' on them.

Old 19-03-2010, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

I always thought it was something to do with to much nitrogen
fretilizer, but can find no referance for it.
Did find this however, doesn't answer the question, but is
interesting.
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ml?view_img=11
David Hill

Looking through the site that David linked to I tripped over this....
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...f.html?item=32
Is that what you're describing?

Old 19-03-2010, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/03/2010 13:12, Tim wrote:
I always thought it was something to do with to much nitrogen
fretilizer, but can find no referance for it.
Did find this however, doesn't answer the question, but is
interesting.
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ml?view_img=11
David Hill

Looking through the site that David linked to I tripped over this....
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...f.html?item=32
Is that what you're describing?

No, that's not it. The black bits I refer to are mostly away from the
core of the potato, sometimes bordering the sides. I'll take a photo the
next time I peel some and post it.

Old 19-03-2010, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can sometimes be
quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free potatoes.

I'm curious too! Xmas dins was almost ruined when I discovered that all of
the taters I'd bought from the SM had those black patches in them. I reckon
I wasted 30% of each one. I had intended to steam them unpeeled!! However,
experience has taught me that the spuds available here are not to be
trusted.
I contacted the packer and they promised to send me some sort of recompense,
but it hasn't arrived yet.
Graham

Old 19-03-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
On 19/03/2010 13:12, Tim wrote:

[...]
Looking through the site that David linked to I tripped over this....
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...f.html?item=32
Is that what you're describing?

No, that's not it. The black bits I refer to are mostly away from the
core of the potato, sometimes bordering the sides. I'll take a photo
the next time I peel some and post it.

I get them regularly: I'm quite surprised people are having difficulty
in knowing what you mean. I don't remember the problem when I used to
grow my own, though, so perhaps it's something to do with the storage,
sorting, or packing of Murphies on the industrial scale? Could they be
simply bruises, or some condition originating in a bruise?

--
Mike.

Old 19-03-2010, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
I should think that in some peelings there must be some 'eyes' or
potential ones, anyway.

Maybe it depends on how thick the peelings are? I use a speed peeler
which peels the skin off as thin as a fine sheet of paper. People who
peel using a knife are more likely to cut thicker peelings with more
chance of intact 'eyes' on them.

Yes, that is probably it. I tend to use a knife as I don't mind eating the
peel, but the bits I take off will be chunks with eyes.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can sometimes be
quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free potatoes.

Could it be internal rust spot?

http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...f.html?item=42

If not that, then maybe blight or gangrene.

someone

Old 22-03-2010, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can
sometimes be quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free
potatoes.

Could it be internal rust spot?

http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...f.html?item=42

If not that, then maybe blight or gangrene.

It doesn't look like those when I see it. My money's still probably on
bruising: see at
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/knowledge_transfer/pests_and_diseases/ref.html?item=33

--
Mike.