Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Eggs (was Rats!)

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Albumen, mind, is mildly poisonous.

Interesting. Someone pointed out recently that the eggs from our bantams
have a much higher ratio of yolk to white. Not that I've (so far) noticed a
problem with the bantam eggs.

Well, you wouldn't, as the it's the white which contains albumen...

Can you just lean your head over here a bit whilst I smack it, please?
Ta.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rats again: yikes!

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:34:30 +0100, John L
wrote:

OP here, for the original post about rats. Thanks so much for all the
good advice an experiences shared.

I bought poison (Rentokil, from Tesco) and set it in a drainpipe where
hopefully only rats will find it. It is being eaten.

I also bought a pair of traps (also Rentokil: cheap plasticky things
(did I say cheap? nearly 8 quid, but the only ones available)).

The traps have killed 3 rats in 2 days. Yikes. Urgh. Etc. [1]

Unfortunately I suspect the ones in the traps had a go at the poison on
the way the what a waste!

John

[1] I took the bodies in a carrier bag to the local tip (waste sorting
station) so that nothing else would eat them (being poisoned as well as
pole-axed). I figured a couple more dead rats in the landfill won't
really be noticed.

What are they going to rot down with though? Our landfill should
nearly just be plastic - food and garden waste gets took elsewhere so
all that goes in to landfill (only in theory) is the stuff that
doesn't breakdown.
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rats!

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote in message
That may be complicated for a troll, but most humans don't have much
difficulty with the calculation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Then give me the answer to/with the calculation.

I bet you cannot.

And I bet you cannot share with us your experience in rat control.
Let's know about it, eh? Rusty & I might learn something from you.
Everyone who keeps poultry or pigs is always plagued by rats as food
is so freely available and we are obliged by law to control them.
I have chosen not to use poison again. It's an easy route to take but
it causes days of suffering for the rats and I was not comfortable
with that. If they have to be killed (and they do, it's the law to
control them on your premises) let it be instant in the jaws of a
terrier. Or they miss them and they get away, maybe to see the
terriers another day. Poison is cruel, it takes them days to die from
it and they don't deserve it - they are only trying to live after all.

I never did say that I had experience in rat control.

You probably got bored with my explaination and did not read it thoroughly,
that is why you are ranting on about irrelevent "treatments".

I was talking about rat INFESTATION and it's PREVALENCE in England,
Scotland and Wales.

D O Y O U U N D E R S T A N D

This is pathetic, never work with animals or children.

DUH
Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marq wrote in
:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote in message
[...]

Oh and don't let us forget as you all have, that a very large % of rats
are in your sewer or septic tank.
Rusty Whinge the rat catcher never told us that fact.
Hence the saying "you are never more than six feet away from a rat" and
that means horizontally or vertically is fairly accurate.

Marq.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marq" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I understand that I am obliged by law to control rats on my property
and I have chosen not to use poison as they die slowly and painfully from
it.
I use terriers because the rats either get away or don't.
Your point is exactly what?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Albumen, mind, is mildly poisonous.
Interesting. Someone pointed out recently that the eggs from our
bantams
have a much higher ratio of yolk to white. Not that I've (so far)
noticed a
problem with the bantam eggs.

Well, you wouldn't, as the it's the white which contains albumen...

Can you just lean your head over here a bit whilst I smack it, please?
Ta.

It's quite true that small eggs have less white but the yolks are pretty
much the same size.
Tina

Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote in message
[...]

JEEEEEZ
I Give up!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Marq wrote:

JEEEEEZ
I Give up!

We can but hope ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in :

In article ,
Marq wrote:

JEEEEEZ
I Give up!

We can but hope ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If hope is all you have then your future is 'uncertain'.

Marq
Old 09-04-2010, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Chris Hogg wrote:
Some people are allergic to the albumin in egg whites. Apparently egg
whites are potent histamine liberators. This can cause pains in the
gut, or diarrhoea, or in extreme cases a form of anaphylactic
reaction. Well-cooked eggs such as in cakes etc. tend to be less of a
problem than lightly cooked ones such as fried, boiled etc.

Hmm. I don't /like/ uncooked egg (as in lightly poached or fried or
boiled), but I do love uncooked cake mix. And I don't seem to have any more
or less problem with the amount it's cooked. Just duck eggs and, possibly,
white chicken eggs.

I obviously need to experiment more.

Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats in garden Paul Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] Tree Rats Louis Brooks Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 PM
rats in compost Nat United Kingdom 14 31-01-2003 08:18 PM