Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rats!

"Roger & Barbara Tonkin" wrote in message
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains these
words:

Seeing a poisoned rat not yet dead and in distress stopped me from using
poison forever. I had to kill it.
There will be terrier men in your area longing to exercise their dogs on
your rats.
Tina

But whatever you do do NOT use poison when there are dogs about. Our
neighbour's dog got some and was very ill for a month or more, and the
vet's bill was astronomic!

I was hoping to send a link where I got my rat hunter from.
He is brilliant and his terriers are awesome. He comes around every six
weeks and he is as happy to get his terriers on the rats as I am to see the
end of them.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Rabbit_Hu...x.php?act=site
This is the only one I could find, seems the main site is gone.

What I like about it is, as I said, the rats either get killed in one second
by the terriers or they escape.
And we did have an amazing escape, after smoking the holes, with the
terriers watching one rat made it up into the trees and got away, you have
to sort of admire them.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marq" wrote in message
Rusty Hinge .

you're never more than ten feet away from a rat, wherever you are.
Google it and see.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

That statement - 'you're never more than ten feet away from a rat' is
utter twaddle.

I'm saying that as someone who used to earn his living in pest
control.

Anything you put on a website (****ter, farceboo, even newsitems) will
show up if you feed the right words into a search engine.

Wake up ratcatcher
"I'm saying that as someone who used to earn his living in pest
control."
If you were that (pest control) someone who used to earn a living then
you are either a liar or very very naive, or even stupid and maybe that
is why you changed vocations.
Try a scientific approach and yes, use the internet, but not
wikipedia....etc.etc.
Ask your local council for their quarterly or anual report on the subject
and buy a calculator to work it out. That is if you can switch it on!

This will help if you can work the calculator:-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...tAndWeedContro
l/DG_10026663

How rude you are! Let's all know about your rat expertise. Come on, tell us
all how to do it.
Pfff.
I'm sure Rusty & myself are all ears.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rats again: yikes!

OP here, for the original post about rats. Thanks so much for all the
good advice an experiences shared.

I bought poison (Rentokil, from Tesco) and set it in a drainpipe where
hopefully only rats will find it. It is being eaten.

I also bought a pair of traps (also Rentokil: cheap plasticky things
(did I say cheap? nearly 8 quid, but the only ones available)).

The traps have killed 3 rats in 2 days. Yikes. Urgh. Etc. [1]

Unfortunately I suspect the ones in the traps had a go at the poison on
the way the what a waste!

John

[1] I took the bodies in a carrier bag to the local tip (waste sorting
station) so that nothing else would eat them (being poisoned as well as
pole-axed). I figured a couple more dead rats in the landfill won't
really be noticed.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Eggs (was Rats!)

Sally Thompson wrote:
Yes it is. The colour of the shell has absolutely nothing to do with the
nutritional value, taste or anything else to do with the content of the egg,
and is related to the breed of the hen. Strangely, whereas in the UK brown
eggs are more desirable and are seen to be "healthier", in the USA white eggs
are more desirable and are seen to be "cleaner". Blame the marketing people!

Yes, I'd heard the difference between US and UK eggs - presumably brown eggs
are seen as healthier here cos of brown bread, brown rice, etc.
And I know different breeds lay different colours, we have 2 brown layers, 1
white layer and 2 can't-quite-make-up-their-minds. (They used to be small
and brown, now they're small and creamy - I'm assuming it's to do with the
time of year, as they have also got smaller)

But I honestly do seem to have a problem with white eggs! Perhaps I should
try again and keep experimenting ...
Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Albumen, mind, is mildly poisonous.

Interesting. Someone pointed out recently that the eggs from our bantams
have a much higher ratio of yolk to white. Not that I've (so far) noticed a
problem with the bantam eggs.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...PestAndWeedCon
tro l/DG_10026663

How rude you are! Let's all know about your rat expertise. Come on,
tell us all how to do it.
Pfff.
I'm sure Rusty & myself are all ears.

Well, Christina Websell,

Since you are "all ears" you cannot see.

I am doing the research myself since the start I gave you obviously fell
on "deaf ears"and when I have a conclusion, I will point you exactly in
the direction of my findings.

It is quite complicated.
We have to estimate the human population, and the rat population,(both
are difficult, to say the least)
Calculate in square metres the volume of England, Scotland, and Wales.

When you add the total of rat, then of human, gain a ratio and divide
between square metre of area of Eng. Sco. Wa.

You have a sum before your eyes (sorry but your ears....

Marq

Old 07-04-2010, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Marq wrote:

Well, Christina Websell,

Since you are "all ears" you cannot see.

I am doing the research myself since the start I gave you obviously fell
on "deaf ears"and when I have a conclusion, I will point you exactly in
the direction of my findings.

It is quite complicated.
We have to estimate the human population, and the rat population,(both
are difficult, to say the least)
Calculate in square metres the volume of England, Scotland, and Wales.

When you add the total of rat, then of human, gain a ratio and divide
between square metre of area of Eng. Sco. Wa.

That may be complicated for a troll, but most humans don't have much
difficulty with the calculation.

You have a sum before your eyes (sorry but your ears....

And you were presented with the glaring flaw in your argument before.
The UK's human population is notoriously non-uniformly distributed
(far more than most countries), and the rat population is similar.
Probably the troll population, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marq wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote in message
[...]

Oh great! So, because the ratio of rats to people is (an estimated
figure), the physical distance between any one person and a ramust be
10 yds?

So, if I go to the middle of the field opposite my house, a rat will
miraculously materialise within 10 yards of me?

If you are sensible, which I very much doubt, you'll give up this doomed
project before you waste any more of our time.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

That may be complicated for a troll, but most humans don't have much
difficulty with the calculation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Then give me the answer to/with the calculation.

I bet you cannot.

Marq

Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

Marq wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...e/PestAndWeedC
[...]

NO, ignoramus.

You may well not see the rat!!!

A rat does not go PEEKABOOO.

Use a few grey cells. ooops you got any?

I know the opinion in this group is that I write crap, but I know that I
am writing to the uneducated, regarding the rat population.

When one of you tribesmen/women work this out THEN and only then can you
criticise.

BY THE WAY. How do you know that there is not a rat in your very local
vicinity? ie:10 yards away

Marq

Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marq wrote:

So, if I go to the middle of the field opposite my house, a rat will
miraculously materialise within 10 yards of me?

If you are sensible, which I very much doubt, you'll give up this
doomed project before you waste any more of our time.

NO, ignoramus.

You may well not see the rat!!!

Ah, one of your invisible theoretical unmathematically calculated rats?
At this time of year I can see there is no rat - moles I couldn't vouch
for - and in any case there's nothing to attract a rat.

100 acres of ratlessness...

A rat does not go PEEKABOOO.

You disappoint me. You're not entirely without some knowledge, however
rudimentary.

Use a few grey cells. ooops you got any?

As many as the next person. The difference between mine and yours is
that mine are connected to something.

I know the opinion in this group is that I write crap,

Oh no - it's not just an opinion: you've demonstrated it so admirably
that we all *KNOW* you write crap.

Gordon Brown, without the charisma.

but I know that I
am writing to the uneducated,

Ah, how do you tell the age of a Marq? Cut his head across and count the
rings.

regarding the rat population.

When one of you tribesmen/women work this out THEN and only then can you
criticise.

We are perfectly capable of criticising without dancing to your tune. In
this group, we call the tune, not some casual visitor.

BY THE WAY. How do you know that there is not a rat in your very local
vicinity? ie:10 yards away

I can't speak for the neighbouring property, but as they have five cats...

As for my property, I'm confident that there is none within double that
distance. Being in the open countryside, they pass by occasionally.
Those which decide to stay don't do so for very long. Well, not as
sentient organisms.

Now, run away and play, there's a good lad. I'm getting a bit weary of
talking at you.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2010, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marq" wrote in message
That may be complicated for a troll, but most humans don't have much
difficulty with the calculation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Then give me the answer to/with the calculation.

I bet you cannot.

And I bet you cannot share with us your experience in rat control. Let's
know about it, eh? Rusty & I might learn something from you.
Everyone who keeps poultry or pigs is always plagued by rats as food is so
freely available and we are obliged by law to control them.
I have chosen not to use poison again. It's an easy route to take but it
causes days of suffering for the rats and I was not comfortable with that.
If they have to be killed (and they do, it's the law to control them on your
premises) let it be instant in the jaws of a terrier. Or they miss them
and they get away, maybe to see the terriers another day.
Poison is cruel, it takes them days to die from it and they don't deserve
it - they are only trying to live after all.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sutartsorric" wrote in message
On 5 Apr, 11:45, Rusty Hinge wrote:
wrote:
John L wrote:
So: tomorrow I buy a couple of rat traps, and tell the neighbours; on
Tuesday I'll tell the council (FWIW).

We had a rat earlier this year,

Delicious, aren't they? Casserole it?

eating hte chicken's feed.

Oh. As you were then...

The rat traps
were useless, all they cuaght were field mice.

Not doing it right, then. 1) carefully bend the trigger until it /only
just/ catches, and it will go off if you so much as look at it too hard;
2) use milk chocolate. Rats are discerning creatures, so don't use that
cheap stuff sold for making cake icing or filling; 3) heat the
prongs/plate of the trigger and melt the chocolate on, so ratty has to
gnaw it; 4) fix a length of chain to the trap and have some stout wire
to fix the other end to something solid; 5) place the trap where you
want it and set it there - if you can move a set trap safely, it's not
set right. [ See 1) ]

IME the best trps are the galvanised pressed steel ones.

--
Rusty

I poisoned the rats under my shed. I also know about the slow and
painful death that I caused them, but that did not make any
difference. I must have eaten cheap pork or eggs, and I would rather
have a few days slow death of a rat than a lifetime of sitting in my
own shit like the majority of chicken and pigs that provide cheap
produce to take-aways, restaurants and supermarkets in this country.
Millions eat that every day.

So, please spare me the animal welfare arguments.

The rats in my garden were living under my shed, so I made a funnel
from an old lemonade bottle and poured poison in the holes every
morning until there was some remaining after 24 hours (which took
about 8 days).

I have not seen a rat in my garden for 15 months, which is an
improvement over seeing 9 at one time in 2008.

Job done.

Congratulations. Not.
It's so easy to use poison - if the rats are thoughtful enough not to die in
agony from it where you can see them.
I naively thought once that poison was instant, that somehow if your rats or
mice ate it they'd be dead quickly.
It's not so. They die a slow death over several days and I want no part of
that.

Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats in garden Paul Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] Tree Rats Louis Brooks Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 PM
rats in compost Nat United Kingdom 14 31-01-2003 08:18 PM