Old 15-04-2010, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree stump killer

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Who's got the duty handcuffs this week?

People don't 'alf panic about this kind of thing...or perhaps there's a
hidden political agenda. I need chapter and verse before believing most
of these Daily-Mail-type tales: you may not (perhaps for good reasons of
public safety or consumer protection) be allowed to _sell_ certain
things for certain purposes, but that doesn't necessarily mean you
aren't free to _use_ said things for said purposes.

The claim that prosecution could follow tipping coffee grounds on the
garden is almost too silly to reply to.

OTOH, some jobsworths are too silly to be given any sort of authority.

--
Rusty
Old 15-04-2010, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

http://www.hinckleyandbosworthonline...=Page&ID=13278

Do I need a Building Regulation Application to replace my windows and
external doors?
From 1st April 2002 all replacement windows, and GLAZED doors with more
than 50% of their internal face are a is glazed were included in the
definition of 'Building Work' and as such will need to comply with the
Building Regulations. This means that a Building Regulation application
will be required accompanied by our standard charge.
If the installer is registered with 'FENSA' or one of the other
government approved self certification schemes, a Building Regulation
application does NOT need to be submitted.

I.e. jobs for the boys. Take a look at:

http://www.fensa.org.uk/FENSAfaq.aspx

"FENSA stands for the Fenestration Self-Assessment scheme. It has been
set up by the Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF) and other industry
bodies, with Government encouragement www.communities.gov.uk, in
response to new Building Regulations."

I.e. no check on their competence required - merely membership of a
cartel.

And, PLEASE, oh, politically naive, do not confuse that with New
Labour, Old Labour, the cuddly Conservatives, the Thatcherite
Conservatives or even the paternalistic Conservatives. Let alone
the EU. Put the blame where the responsibility lies: Whitehall.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:38:56 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

This

and a gas cooker to put in the kitchen.

bizarrly, is the one bit that you don't need to tell anyone (as long as
you are not doing the work for someone else with renumeration in any
form). But you do need to be "competant" which is usually defined as: if
you end up before the beak because you blew your house up and maimed
someone, you are presumed "not competant" ;-

I think I qualify as 'competent' I once had a plumber ask "Owjer do
*THAT*?" He'd never seen the copper welding rod which makes virtually
visually undetectable joins in copper pipe, and it's intended for
plumbing use...

I scared my building control. Doing so much work on my house, I did
submit a building notice covering the lot. They agreed to accept my
electrical test certs for wiring (have minimal relevant qualification and
a Megger). Happy with everything else. Then they spotted that I'd put
down "install gas boiler" (for the Part L ********). They kind of short
circuited then - admitting of their own free will it was quite legal, but
they'd never had that situation before, so were feeling queasy. Anyway,
we came to an understanding...

Back in the '60s a mate of mine bought a house. The wiring was all
lead-sheathed and if you touched it, you felt a distinct tingle plus.
Naturally, the electrickery board refused to connect the supply to it,
so it was disconnected and a jury-rigged but safe mini-system of modern
cable connected while I helped him rewire the whole house.

When the innspetor came round to test everything, he wound his megger,
looked puzzled, turned a knob and wound it again, again looked puzzled,
and turned the knob again, and wound.

"Who wired the house?" he asked.

"I did," said Ken, "with my mate. Why? Whats the matter?"

"Matter? Nothing. I wish you'd rewire a few more places round here! Even
on its top setting, the bleedin' needle hardly moved."

--
Rusty
Old 15-04-2010, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

http://www.hinckleyandbosworthonline...=Page&ID=13278

Do I need a Building Regulation Application to replace my windows and
external doors?
From 1st April 2002 all replacement windows, and GLAZED doors with more
[...]

The Czechs had the right idea defenestration of politicians.

Anyone fancy starting a "ZZZ - None of the Above" political party?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-04-2010, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

The Czechs had the right idea defenestration of politicians.

Czechs and imbalances?

Anyone fancy starting a "ZZZ - None of the Above" political party?

Hmmm. Good idea - it'd attract an awful lot of votes from disaffected
constituents who don't bother to read the small print.

--
Rusty

Old 15-04-2010, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
hugh wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes

I wonder how they'll vote in Wilmslow?

Presumably by putting an X against the candidate of their choice -
same as everywhere else.

No hanging chavs, then - er - as you were, hanging chads.

We don't use 1960s technology thank goodness.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 15-04-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

http://www.hinckleyandbosworthonline...old.asp?IDType
=Page&ID=13278

Do I need a Building Regulation Application to replace my windows and
external doors?
From 1st April 2002 all replacement windows, and GLAZED doors with more
[...]

Dictatorship of the bureaucrats. GDP of the public sector is already
more than 50% of the economy. Not being an economist I'm not sure how
the public sector can "produce" anything.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 15-04-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:44:20 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

I think I qualify as 'competent' I once had a plumber ask "Owjer do
*THAT*?" He'd never seen the copper welding rod which makes virtually
visually undetectable joins in copper pipe, and it's intended for
plumbing use...

I'll have to look at that (I usually solder mine).

Back in the '60s a mate of mine bought a house. The wiring was all
lead-sheathed and if you touched it, you felt a distinct tingle plus.
Naturally, the electrickery board refused to connect the supply to it,
so it was disconnected and a jury-rigged but safe mini-system of modern
cable connected while I helped him rewire the whole house.

When the innspetor came round to test everything, he wound his megger,
looked puzzled, turned a knob and wound it again, again looked puzzled,
and turned the knob again, and wound.

"Who wired the house?" he asked.

"I did," said Ken, "with my mate. Why? Whats the matter?"

"Matter? Nothing. I wish you'd rewire a few more places round here! Even
on its top setting, the bleedin' needle hardly moved."

Good on you. My megger reads offscale on all my 500V tests to date too

--
Tim Watts

Old 15-04-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:

/snip/

I had no TV for a period of time so I rang the number and they made a
note.

Then a couple of months later, the annoying reminders started coming
again. I threw them away at first, then later, marked them "Return to
sender" and stuck them in the post box. The tone of the reminders left
much to be desired. However, the biscuit taker was this:

http://www.dionic.net/tv/OfficialWarning.jpeg

So I sent them this:

http://www.dionic.net/tv/Reply.jpeg
(Not for the faint hearted)

Ah, the famous reply as used in the Arkell vs Pressdram case nearly 40 years
ago. Well done - I haven't seen it print for years!

--

Jeff

Old 15-04-2010, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:44:20 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

I think I qualify as 'competent' I once had a plumber ask "Owjer do
*THAT*?" He'd never seen the copper welding rod which makes virtually
visually undetectable joins in copper pipe, and it's intended for
plumbing use...

I'll have to look at that (I usually solder mine).

Next time I'm in Naaaardge I'll drop in at Wensum Welding and ask for
its proper name and manufacturer.

Or you can DIY while we remember it: Wensum Welding Supplies, 12 Derby
St., Norwich, NR2 4PU, tel no by emu if you want it. (It's on Yell...

You fettle the ends so that there are no big gaps (preferably), heat to
red, and apply rod (no flux needed with copper). It zips round the two
ends and providing you don't use too little or too much, you get a
perfect join.

The copper pipes in my old man's barn split one winter and he was not
looking forward to putting in a new section, so I offered to mend it for
him. I peened the split edges back together, heated the pipe with a
butane blowtorch (propane's better) and applied the remedy. Job done in
about quarter of an hour.

--
Rusty

Old 15-04-2010, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:23:44 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

Tim Watts wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:44:20 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

I think I qualify as 'competent' I once had a plumber ask "Owjer do
*THAT*?" He'd never seen the copper welding rod which makes virtually
visually undetectable joins in copper pipe, and it's intended for
plumbing use...

I'll have to look at that (I usually solder mine).

Next time I'm in Naaaardge I'll drop in at Wensum Welding and ask for
its proper name and manufacturer.

Or you can DIY while we remember it: Wensum Welding Supplies, 12 Derby
St., Norwich, NR2 4PU, tel no by emu if you want it. (It's on Yell...

You fettle the ends so that there are no big gaps (preferably), heat to
red, and apply rod (no flux needed with copper). It zips round the two
ends and providing you don't use too little or too much, you get a
perfect join.

Would that work with pipes cut with a rotating pipe cutter? The ends
would be perfectly square, but slightly belled in.

Sounds slightly like brazing (I never got on with that, but it was iron
to iron). Now that you mention it, I've seen airconditioning units (big
15kW ones) where they "brazed" the pipes. Wonder if that was the same
thing, or whether they really meant "brazed".

Old 15-04-2010, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:

/Copper welding/

Would that work with pipes cut with a rotating pipe cutter? The ends
would be perfectly square, but slightly belled in.

Yes

Sounds slightly like brazing (I never got on with that, but it was iron
to iron). Now that you mention it, I've seen airconditioning units (big
15kW ones) where they "brazed" the pipes. Wonder if that was the same
thing, or whether they really meant "brazed".

If well done, you wouldn't notice the joins: (proper) brazing is brass,
so a gold colour. This stuff's easy, needs no flux, and it's
copper-coloured.

--
Rusty
Old 15-04-2010, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:51:02 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

Tim Watts wrote:

/Copper welding/

Would that work with pipes cut with a rotating pipe cutter? The ends
would be perfectly square, but slightly belled in.

Yes

Sounds slightly like brazing (I never got on with that, but it was iron
to iron). Now that you mention it, I've seen airconditioning units (big
15kW ones) where they "brazed" the pipes. Wonder if that was the same
thing, or whether they really meant "brazed".

If well done, you wouldn't notice the joins: (proper) brazing is brass,
so a gold colour. This stuff's easy, needs no flux, and it's
copper-coloured.

I'll have to look into that - I've come across most methods of copper
work, but this is truely a new one on me

Thanks for the detailed description!

--
Tim Watts

Old 16-04-2010, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:

I'll have to look into that - I've come across most methods of copper
work, but this is truely a new one on me

Thanks for the detailed description!

Unfortunately, Wensum Welding Supplies has no website and seemingly, no
e-mail address (got his card here).

However, it's a good place to deal with, the owner knows his onions, and
stocs a very good range of materials and equipment.

I've got from him a rather nice oxy-turbogas welding set. No idea what
turbogas is (I suppose I could do search) but the flame goes up to
3,600° C - and that's good enough for me.

He tells me the stuff will join other metals, but I've only used it on
copper. (I tend to use manganese bronze or silicon bronze for joining
steel or iron, nickel or cast rod on cast iron, and silver solder or low
melting point spelter on brass.)

And if anyone knows where I can get a coil or bar of tin, I'd be most
grateful to be told.

--
Rusty
Old 16-04-2010, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:54:43 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Just on the offchance, ever done any lead burning?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Tree stump killer Bob H United Kingdom 4 08-09-2013 07:12 PM
Serial killer captured and charged after 30 years of evading police in the number one small city in the USA- Killer confesses to many more killings Knowledge Ponds 0 25-12-2007 07:41 PM
fertilome brush and stump killer Celeste Evans Gardening 5 25-06-2007 02:38 AM
Does anyone know if DEEP ROOT tree.stump and weed killer is any good! rig Gardening 0 04-04-2007 03:19 PM
Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly Sam Alexander Lawns 3 02-05-2006 09:56 PM