Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree stump killer

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

While we're diverted to politics, I would strongly urge you all to go and
look at:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

You can see what your MPs voting record is, whether they can be arsed to
take part in debates or have the balls to vote as a rebel from time to time.
Not to mention how much of a thieving weasel they've been WRT expense
claims. Could provide material for embarrasing questions when the
campaigners turn up on yer doorstep...

Nah. I live in South Cambridgeshire, where the Electoral Reform
Society correctly states that the election is over as soon as the
Conservatives nominate a candidate. A stuffed monkey with a blue
rosette would get in - indeed, some people felt that actually was
the case at one time.

The solution is to compost the canvassers. Just like Jehovah's
Witnesses and Encyclopaedia salesmen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wibbled on Thursday 08 April 2010 21:37

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

While we're diverted to politics, I would strongly urge you all to go and
look at:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

You can see what your MPs voting record is, whether they can be arsed to
take part in debates or have the balls to vote as a rebel from time to
time. Not to mention how much of a thieving weasel they've been WRT
expense claims. Could provide material for embarrasing questions when the
campaigners turn up on yer doorstep...

Nah. I live in South Cambridgeshire, where the Electoral Reform
Society correctly states that the election is over as soon as the
Conservatives nominate a candidate. A stuffed monkey with a blue
rosette would get in - indeed, some people felt that actually was
the case at one time.

The solution is to compost the canvassers. Just like Jehovah's
Witnesses and Encyclopaedia salesmen.

I do wonder why some constituencies have this unfailing allegence to a
party.

Ours (Battle & Bexhill) has a exceedingly rich tory incumbent (ex banker)
who was also notable for his expenses claims of late. However, the last X
elections have always had at least twice as many votes for the tory as the
next runner up. Perhaps there'll be enough old fashioned oldies round here
to get upset by him leaving his wife and running off with the painter - can
but hope.

--
Tim Watts

Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default [OT] TV Licensing (Was: Tree stump killer)

In message , Tim Watts
writes

I had no TV for a period of time so I rang the number and they made a note.

Then a couple of months later, the annoying reminders started coming again.
I threw them away at first, then later, marked them "Return to sender" and
stuck them in the post box. The tone of the reminders left much to be
desired. However, the biscuit taker was this:

http://www.dionic.net/tv/OfficialWarning.jpeg

So I sent them this:

http://www.dionic.net/tv/Reply.jpeg
(Not for the faint hearted)

The bit in question is in the last paragraph.

Pretty much anyone has implied right of access to your property to conduct
their legal business, eg anyone wishing to post something through your
letterbox, milkman etc as well as certain bodies with additional statutory
rights such as the gas company in an emergency, Customs Officers under some
conditions, coppers with a warrant etc.

However, if the former right of implied access is explicitly denied in
writing to a single body as here, or by putting a sign on the gate saying
"No Hawkers" then any such person is guilty of trespass if they do set foot
on your property and may be removed using reasonable force.

Anyway, it was mostly spleen venting and it did elicit a response - a
grovelling apology in this case.

Love your response, just what these neo-nazi quangos need IMO. The UK is
getting worryingly (sp?) close to the police state that Germany became
in the mid 30s. If I was 10 years younger I'd probably be away to NZ or
Canada.

Will
--
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger
can.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

While we're diverted to politics, I would strongly urge you all to go and
look at:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

You can see what your MPs voting record is, whether they can be arsed to
take part in debates or have the balls to vote as a rebel from time to time.
Not to mention how much of a thieving weasel they've been WRT expense
claims. Could provide material for embarrasing questions when the
campaigners turn up on yer doorstep...

Nah. I live in South Cambridgeshire, where the Electoral Reform
Society correctly states that the election is over as soon as the
Conservatives nominate a candidate. A stuffed monkey with a blue
rosette would get in - indeed, some people felt that actually was
the case at one time.

Yeah.

At least we don't need to bother worrying about who to vote for :-)
--
Chris French

Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Hopefully, there's not much danger of another Labour term - the general
hatred of Labour probably outweighs the lack of belief in the
alternatives...

Unfortunately that is a pretty accurate if somewhat cynical analysis of
what faces the voters at this election.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 09-04-2010, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Haven't seen a canvasser in 40 years around here - Crewe & Nantwich
We don't have Japanese knot weed either - just to keep it vaguely on
topic.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 14-04-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
Jeff Layman
wibbled on Wednesday 07 April 2010 17:21

But if you use the ammonium sulphamate from that pack as a stump killer,
you
will be doing something illegal, as daft as it may sound. In fact,
AFAIAA, you are only allowed to use approved products for designated
"pesticide"

Sod that, already ordered

uses. If you use anything else (eg coffee grounds to deal with slugs),
then
you risk prosecution.

What you have to realise is that there are now so many statues on the book
that criminalise perfectly innocuous activities that the only way to remain
sane is forget the law and use common sense - this has become and will
remain my approach to life in this country until such a time that sanity is
restored (if ever).

Do you feel happy that it is a non indictable criminal offence for you to
replace one of your windows or an external door without informing local
building control, to quote one example?

Oh dear! Oh dear oh dear! And I've replaced my back door *AND* my front
door,,,

And I've a box full of old mains cable waiting for something-or-other,
and a gas cooker to put in the kitchen.

Who's got the duty handcuffs this week?

--
Rusty
Old 14-04-2010, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

/snip/

http://www.marmalade.net/lime

http://www.girolle.co.uk/tv/

--
Rusty
Old 14-04-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

People don't 'alf panic about this kind of thing...or perhaps there's a
hidden political agenda. I need chapter and verse before believing most
of these Daily-Mail-type tales: you may not (perhaps for good reasons of
public safety or consumer protection) be allowed to _sell_ certain
things for certain purposes, but that doesn't necessarily mean you
aren't free to _use_ said things for said purposes.

The claim that prosecution could follow tipping coffee grounds on the
garden is almost too silly to reply to.

--
Mike.

Old 14-04-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:38:56 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

This

and a gas cooker to put in the kitchen.

bizarrly, is the one bit that you don't need to tell anyone (as long as
you are not doing the work for someone else with renumeration in any
form). But you do need to be "competant" which is usually defined as: if
you end up before the beak because you blew your house up and maimed
someone, you are presumed "not competant" ;-

I scared my building control. Doing so much work on my house, I did
submit a building notice covering the lot. They agreed to accept my
electrical test certs for wiring (have minimal relevant qualification and
a Megger). Happy with everything else. Then they spotted that I'd put
down "install gas boiler" (for the Part L ********). They kind of short
circuited then - admitting of their own free will it was quite legal, but
they'd never had that situation before, so were feeling queasy. Anyway,
we came to an understanding...

Anyway, good on you.

Old 14-04-2010, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 22:11:24 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wibbled:

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

But "they" can put you in prison for upto 6 months with a fine upto 5k
(or whatever the scale is this week), call you a criminal and have your
DNA (as a result of it being a non indictable, ie Magistrate tryable
offence) for failing to notify them that you are installing a
replacement external window. Not Daily Mail - Building Regs, + Approved
Document L...

But to be fair, they don't do that to members of the public doing their
own houses - occasionally they use that statue to throw the book at a
dodgey tradesman. But legally, they could bust you...

--
Tim Watts

Old 14-04-2010, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:51:59 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

http://www.girolle.co.uk/tv/

Nice!

--
Tim Watts

Old 15-04-2010, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes

I wonder how they'll vote in Wilmslow?

Presumably by putting an X against the candidate of their choice - same
as everywhere else.

No hanging chavs, then - er - as you were, hanging chads.

--
Rusty

Tree stump killer Bob H United Kingdom 4 08-09-2013 07:12 PM
Serial killer captured and charged after 30 years of evading police in the number one small city in the USA- Killer confesses to many more killings Knowledge Ponds 0 25-12-2007 07:41 PM
fertilome brush and stump killer Celeste Evans Gardening 5 25-06-2007 02:38 AM
Does anyone know if DEEP ROOT tree.stump and weed killer is any good! rig Gardening 0 04-04-2007 03:19 PM
Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly Sam Alexander Lawns 3 02-05-2006 09:56 PM