Old 13-04-2010, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss, thatch etc.

Please excuse me if this has been posted before .... it sounds familiar
to me but I can't recall the answer.

I am in the process of giving our front lawn a much needed scarifying! I
suspect that over the past 3 or 4 years the moss and thatch factor has
grown to over 50% and there is a mountain of growing rubbish requiring
disposal. The question is, can I throw it in one of our compost stalls
along with the other items from the garden? Or is the moss likely to
take a very long time to become composted and effectively dead?

I'd prefer not to have to make too many runs to our local recycling
centre - where it would be chucked through the "green waste" windows for
composting. But do they have a turbo charged composting process which is
much more efficient than our "leave it to nature" system?
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 13-04-2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gopher wrote:
I am in the process of giving our front lawn a much needed scarifying! I
suspect that over the past 3 or 4 years the moss and thatch factor has
grown to over 50% and there is a mountain of growing rubbish requiring
disposal. The question is, can I throw it in one of our compost stalls
along with the other items from the garden? Or is the moss likely to
take a very long time to become composted and effectively dead?

I don't know if this will be any use to you, but last time our lawn was
scarified in the spring, I used the moss to line hanging baskets, which
appear to still be perfectly well lined now, almost a year later!
Old 13-04-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gopher
writes
Please excuse me if this has been posted before .... it sounds familiar
to me but I can't recall the answer.

I am in the process of giving our front lawn a much needed scarifying!
I suspect that over the past 3 or 4 years the moss and thatch factor
has grown to over 50% and there is a mountain of growing rubbish
requiring disposal. The question is, can I throw it in one of our
compost stalls along with the other items from the garden? Or is the
moss likely to take a very long time to become composted and
effectively dead?

I reckon that moss and thatch composts better than just about anything
else.

I'd prefer not to have to make too many runs to our local recycling
centre - where it would be chucked through the "green waste" windows
for composting. But do they have a turbo charged composting process
which is much more efficient than our "leave it to nature" system?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-04-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Gopher contains these words:

Please excuse me if this has been posted before .... it sounds familiar
to me but I can't recall the answer.

I am in the process of giving our front lawn a much needed scarifying! I
suspect that over the past 3 or 4 years the moss and thatch factor has
grown to over 50% and there is a mountain of growing rubbish requiring
disposal. The question is, can I throw it in one of our compost stalls
along with the other items from the garden? Or is the moss likely to
take a very long time to become composted and effectively dead?

Lawn moss composts fine IME; and it doesn't turn the garden into a
moss bank when you use the result. The compost heap heat will see to
that.
Because it's a large volume, dry and might be acidic I combine it
with some stalky or green material and wood ash and a generous helping
of urine.

Janet

Many thanks Janet. I have plenty of other matter with which it can be
mixed as well as your suggested magic ingredient which I have always
found to be quite effective. I must get permission from Senior
Management to up my liquid intake - which may be a tricky negotiation
:-))

Thanks again!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 13-04-2010, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
Please excuse me if this has been posted before .... it sounds familiar to
me but I can't recall the answer.

I am in the process of giving our front lawn a much needed scarifying! I
suspect that over the past 3 or 4 years the moss and thatch factor has
grown to over 50% and there is a mountain of growing rubbish requiring
disposal. The question is, can I throw it in one of our compost stalls
along with the other items from the garden? Or is the moss likely to take
a very long time to become composted and effectively dead?

I'd prefer not to have to make too many runs to our local recycling
centre - where it would be chucked through the "green waste" windows for
composting. But do they have a turbo charged composting process which is
much more efficient than our "leave it to nature" system?
--

This is the perfect time of year to dangle the moss in the basket jobbies
you had fat feeders in for the local tits to use it for their nests.

Thatch J. M. Russo Gardening 18 07-07-2005 12:12 AM
composting thatch bill Gardening 5 02-06-2005 05:12 PM
weeds and thatch [email protected] Gardening 12 01-08-2004 02:32 PM
Breakup thatch now? Cut grass short? Phrederik Lawns 5 04-10-2003 02:36 AM
St. Augustine Lawn and Thatch Ray Lawns 3 06-06-2003 02:44 AM