Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes

"~Brian~" wrote in
:

This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds! they
just will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been fine, but
this year everything seems to have been a failure with my tomato
seeds. I was wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then
place them in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds
have grown well, the tomatoes are not showing at all.
I live in SE Kent.
Would be obliged for any advice or recommendations.

Cheers ~Brian~

Last year all my tomato seeds germinated within a few days.
This year I have had to be patient and all have come through, but not days,
weeks.
Please be patient as I have, they are sturdier too! not long and thin and
weak.
Give them time and do not forget to water.
I was tempted to start over again, but they showed up in the end.

Put it down to Mother Nature and her trust Her if you can.

PtePike
Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PtePike wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah! I still have hopes, and am just leaving them to see if anything does
appear.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2010 02:18 PM, PtePike wrote:
... and do not forget to water.

Oops!

I think my hanging basket tomatoes will need twice-daily watering. The
seedlings I planted a couple of weeks ago are all shrivelled. I have a
couple more seedlings growing on the kitchen windowsill so I'll plant
those out if these two don't miraculously recover.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

~Brian~ wrote:
I live in SE Kent.

Shame you're not nearer me (in Essex). I have about 400 little tomato plants
littering the greenhouses atm. (I did a few too many 'spares')

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-05-09 17:59:07 +0100, kay said:

wafflycat;886708 Wrote:
"]
The tomatoes I'm atemtping to grow from seed are not doing as well

last
year's efforts. New seed, new compost.. This year's compost doesn't
appear
to be as good as last year's. Plus the extended cold spell earlier in
the
year - everything seems to be *weeks* behind this time last year.
Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them...

My tomatoes are beautiful. The aubergines on the other hand ...

Our tomato plants are about 3' tall now. They're in bags of compost
and get a splash of dilute fertiliser every day when others things are
being watered.

wince

The ones I put outside due to lack of space have stopped growing (around
5"), probably due to the crap weather. The remaining few inside are
doing OK, probably around 1'. They'll be left inside until the weather
improves. If it ever does.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

~Brian~ wrote:
Took me round to the back of his bungalo - wow! - his garden was enormous
with three medium sized Greenhouses. He too had hundreds of tomato plants
and told me to help myself, he was saying though that he had had several
failures this year and blamed the poor quality of the compost available and
he was convinced there was a lot of dud seeds being sold.

Best seeds I've used this year (as in I sprinkled the lot cos I thought they
would be dodgy, and they all came up!) came free on a Kitchen Garden type
magazine. Millions of the buggers!