Old 09-05-2010, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes

This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds! they just
will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been fine, but this year
everything seems to have been a failure with my tomato seeds. I was
wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then place them
in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds have grown well, the
tomatoes are not showing at all.
I live in SE Kent.
Would be obliged for any advice or recommendations.

Cheers ~Brian~

Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 May 2010 12:54:56 +0100, "~Brian~"
wrote:

This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds! they just
will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been fine, but this year
everything seems to have been a failure with my tomato seeds. I was
wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then place them
in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds have grown well, the
tomatoes are not showing at all.

What are the other seeds?
Where they all new packs?

--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 09-05-2010, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~Brian~" wrote in message
This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds! they
just will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been fine, but this
year everything seems to have been a failure with my tomato seeds. I was
wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then place
them in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds have grown
well, the tomatoes are not showing at all.
I live in SE Kent.
Would be obliged for any advice or recommendations.

Cheers ~Brian~

The tomatoes I'm atemtping to grow from seed are not doing as well as last
year's efforts. New seed, new compost.. This year's compost doesn't appear
to be as good as last year's. Plus the extended cold spell earlier in the
year - everything seems to be *weeks* behind this time last year.

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them...

Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds!
they just will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been
fine, but this year everything seems to have been a failure with my
tomato seeds. I was wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then
place them in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds
have grown well, the tomatoes are not showing at all.

What are the other seeds?
Where they all new packs?

All seeds were new with next years expiry date, (Suttons) the other seeds
were Runner beans 2 types, Cucumber 2 types, Beetroot 2 types, Astors,
African Marigold and Dianthus - all doing very well! And of course the no
show tomatoes Gardeners Friend.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in message
[...]

Actually several people (Neighbours) have said much the same thing to me. Im
tempted to get some seedlings from a nursary! :-(

Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 May 2010 15:25:43 +0100, "~Brian~"
wrote:

wafflycat wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in message
[...]

Happily I've noticed no problems this year.

I planted dozens of various types of tomato seeds this year, in trays
in my conservatory, no extra heat, full light, transplanted into 2"
pots, then into 3.5" pots and now in unheated greenhouse borders for 3
weeks.

They have all grown like triffids.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflycat View Post
"]

The tomatoes I'm atemtping to grow from seed are not doing as well as last
year's efforts. New seed, new compost.. This year's compost doesn't appear
to be as good as last year's. Plus the extended cold spell earlier in the
year - everything seems to be *weeks* behind this time last year.

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them...
My tomatoes are beautiful. The aubergines on the other hand ...
Old 09-05-2010, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

wafflycat wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, yeah... rub it in why don't you...

;-)

Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds!
they just will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been
fine, but this year everything seems to have been a failure with my
tomato seeds. I was wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then
place them in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds
have grown well, the tomatoes are not showing at all.

You say you used
john Innis compost, the question is which
JI compost did you use?

David Hill
Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds! they just
will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been fine, but this year
everything seems to have been a failure with my tomato seeds. I was
wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then place them
in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds have grown well, the
tomatoes are not showing at all.
I live in SE Kent.
Would be obliged for any advice or recommendations.

Cheers ~Brian~

It's too late to sow more seed now. Get to a market stall, garden
centre and buy some plants. Maybe a neighbour has a few spares.
It's frustrating, and hard to say why. I sowed several different
tomato varieties from saved seed and all have come up. One pot of
Ferline, last yea's bought seed did not germinate at all. All sown in
same way, same compost, on same day.

Pam in Bristol

Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 May 2010 18:10:57 +0100, "wafflycat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wafflycat wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in message
[...]

My cucumbers all failed last year, most unusual.

I gave some identical seedling plants to my neighbour whose greenhouse
is 6' from mine and she was supplying me. She had a brilliant crop.

Go figure, I can't

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

~Brian~ wrote:
The tomatoes I'm atemtping to grow from seed are not doing as well as
last year's efforts. New seed, new compost.. This year's compost
doesn't appear to be as good as last year's. Plus the extended cold
spell earlier in the year - everything seems to be *weeks* behind
this time last year.
Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them...

Actually several people (Neighbours) have said much the same thing to me. Im
tempted to get some seedlings from a nursary! :-(

My first batch at end of Jan were awful. But we figured it was bad soil and
tried again in early march. They are all* doing ok.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
You say you used
john Innis compost, the question is which
JI compost did you use?

On a slight side-note, I've been using a compost-with-John-Innes mix (it's
in a big pink bag!) this year, and I've found it lovely to use. Then I
opened the bag of JI seedling soil, which is my first ever 'real' JI soil.
It's really heavy and dense and turns to mud!

Is this normal?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
It's too late to sow more seed now.

Hmm, I think that depends on the variety. I reckon a good cherry tom (GD
being my recommendation, but i'm biased! :-) would still work fine sown
now. On the other hand, the italian plum tomatoes I did last year didn't
ever come on far enough even though they were planted in March!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Our tomato plants are about 3' tall now. They're in bags of compost
and get a splash of dilute fertiliser every day when others things are
being watered.

No flowers yet, so no fertiliser for mine till they start behaving and
earning their keep!

2 gro-bags in each greenhouse with 3 in each (6 varieties in each g/h so
far, going to see if I have another 3 varieties ready to go in the next one
before I start doubling up)

Oh, and 8 'bush' tomatoes ready to pot up into the biggest pots I can find
to go between the bags, too.