Old 19-05-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on (RE)starting a compost heap

OK, many years ago, about 5 or 6 easily, I started 4 compost bins and
then for some reason we stopped composting proper and just left them.

Recently however, with a change in circumstances came a change in the
amount of time I now have to sort out all those jobs Ive never gotten
round to and that includes the garden.

Recently I took off the compost bin itself from one of the smaller
heaps and broke it up as it had an ant nest in it, but the others have
been left until today.

Well, one we have started adding to recently as we have 3 chickens now
and we've been adding the poo and the bedding etc to that (a months
worth if that) but its looking like its acting, however this was thrown
on top of the 5 or 6 year old previous compost without doing anything
to it.

the 3rd and 4th bins (actually old water butts that have now actually
degraded and cracked and are now useless) I have removed today.

Strangely, both sets of compost are completely different!

One looks all lumpy, as in layered and cloying and difficult to break
up with the spade the other looks like proper compost nearly, pure
chalk and cheese!

Here's the pics comparing them, the first 2 are of the layered clumpy
type

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_3503.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_3509.jpg

then the better looking compost, not as good as what it looks like shop
bought but looks like it's getting that way if you see what i mean

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_3510.jpg

So, now what Im wondering is , Im left with 2 proper compost bins
(plastic ones) so Im wondering if I should simply dig it all back in
together and restart the bins using it, maybe half in each or just fill
one up and top up then start the other one anew?

--
Donnie
Old 19-05-2010, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:40:19 +0100, "Donnie"
wrote:

[...]

I would put it all into one. The chicken manure should help to break
it down. Is it a bit dry? May need wetting. Having had lids on all
this time it will have dried out somewhat.
In such situations it is usual to fill one bin (of whatever sort) and
then start on the next. By the time all 3 are full the first should
be down to half or less. Tip it out, fork it over, put it back and
give it a bit longer.

You should have some really good stuff.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-05-2010, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

The first lot looks like grass cuttings which need to be turned otherwise it
clogs up like yours. Are there any worms in the second lot? I'd put it all
into one and try and encourage worms in it, the banded type,tiger,composting
whatever you call them.
The presence of ants does indicate too dry conditions.
You could maybe try and drill lots of holes in your containers as composting
does require air too.

Old 19-05-2010, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

davej wrote:

[...]

Cheers both, yes I think there was one where i basically put grass
cutting and nothing else in :-/

--
Donnie
Lambretta Series 2 186cc "The Shitter"
Old 20-05-2010, 11:27 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie[_2_] View Post

Cheers both, yes I think there was one where i basically put grass
cutting and nothing else in :-/
The main principles of compost making a

1) Mix the heap well. Don't have more than about a 3 inch layer of new grass cuttings, don't have more than a 6 inch layer of twiggy stuff.

2) It loses heat through the outside, so make it is big as possible, but maximize the volume to surface ratio - ie a cube rather than tall and thin.

3) Water it if it's too dry. Ants = too dry

4) Ideally, have the base standing directly on soil so earthworms and other organisms can get in. Otherwise, chuck a layer of soil in on top of the first layer of green stuff.

You don't need more than 3 heaps, one filling, one maturing, and one being used. And you can get by on two. If you've got lots of small containers, then amalgamate them into fewer bigger heaps.

If you have a lot of grass cuttings, then have a storage area for either grass cuttings or more twiggy stuff (whichever works best for you), so that you can interleave grass cuttings and twiggy stuff on the heap.

Old 20-05-2010, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from kay contains these words:

If you have a lot of grass cuttings, then have a storage area for either
grass cuttings or more twiggy stuff (whichever works best for you), so
that you can interleave grass cuttings and twiggy stuff on the heap.

I put sheets of newspare below and on top of grass cuttings, it seems to
help them compost without turning into s gooey muck!

Everyone says to tear paper into strips, but I find using one or two
sheets (from a broadsheet quality newspaper of course!) works well.

Roger T
Old 20-05-2010, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old gardeners used to say in the old days that to start a compost you
just peed on it; how often and how much I don't know, but the advice was
" to start it off, Pee on it".
Hope that helps
Cheers
Don
Old 20-05-2010, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Baraclough wrote:
I've been peeing on /in the compost heap ever since I was a young
gardener. Urine contains nitrogen which
is a good activator .

That's interesting. I thought it specifically had to be man-pee, not
lady-pee.

Old 21-05-2010, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:

'Donnie[_2_ Wrote:
;887820']

[...]

Thanks Kay, good advice:-)

Old 21-05-2010, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:

Old gardeners used to say in the old days that to start a compost you
just peed on it; how often and how much I don't know, but the advice
was " to start it off, Pee on it". Hope that helps Cheers
Don

Aye, I used to pee on it, something to do with nitrates if i remember.

I have the odd pee in the garden anyway near the fences, apparantly it
will deter foxes as I have chickens, mind you my Golden Retriever is
always on standby to try and pee on my pee LOL

--
Donnie