Old 31-05-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default While rooting through the shed:-

RG wrote:
I find your comment rather strange, since my reply was entirely serious
and factually correct.

It may have been aimed at the person you replied to rather than you.

Another possible garden use for phosphoric aid is to clean concrete paths,
but in a stronger concentration than Coke.

I used half a bottle of diet cola to clean my bike chain recently after it
rusted. Did a spankingly good job, I must say.
Old 31-05-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
"RG" wrote in message
news

A very strong solution will certainly etch glass.

Do you have a reliable reference for this, please? Google most certainly
comes up with quite a few hits for "phosphoric acid" and "etch glass", but
have been through the first 40 and found nothing which substantiates that
statement unequivocally. I have always understood that the only chemicals
which attack glass are (1) hydrofluoric acid (2) strong alkalis.

That is definitely wrong. Glass is etched naturally in the soil, for
a start.

I take your point - it's been noted with fulvic and humic acids. But I
should have made it clear that I was considering visible chemical attack on
a much shorter timescale.

--

Jeff

Old 05-06-2010, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
I have always understood that the only chemicals which attack glass are
(1) hydrofluoric acid (2) strong alkalis.

No there's others. I have a small screen printing kit called Gocco and
you can get an add-on kit which basically allows the etch to go
throughout eh screen onto glass to etch it.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
wrote in message
In article LGvMn.28769$9J1.20264@hurricane,
alan.holmes wrote:
As one does every 20 years or so, I can across a HUGE bag of something
called 'Phosphoric Acid' which I obviously bought for some use, but what
was
it used for?

Dissolving human bones and teeth after you have turned the rest of
their bodies into meat pies.

Interesting, but I somehow do not think I would have bought it dissolve
parts of bodies, I'm sure it would have been bought to use in the garden,
but what for?

Rust remover.

--
Rusty
Old 06-06-2010, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
"RG" wrote in message
news

alan.holmes wrote:
As one does every 20 years or so, I can across a HUGE bag of something
called 'Phosphoric Acid' which I obviously bought for some use, but
what
was
it used for?
Dissolving human bones and teeth after you have turned the rest of
their bodies into meat pies.
Interesting, but I somehow do not think I would have bought it dissolve
parts of bodies, I'm sure it would have been bought to use in the garden,
but what for?

Phosphoric Acid is a constituent of Coca Cola and other similar drinks,
added to give it the 'bite'.
Yes, it does rot your teeth.

I wonder why you bothered to send an article which is so childish and
stupid.

Happens to be true - all of it.

--
Rusty
Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:

"alan.holmes" wrote in message
As one does every 20 years or so, I can across a HUGE bag of something
called 'Phosphoric Acid' which I obviously bought for some use, but
what was it used for?

When I first saw the bag the words 'growmore' came to mind, but
bearing in mind the reliability of my memory it could be anything!

So, what sould I be using it for?

IIRC phosphoric acid can be used to etch glass - although a customised
grenhouse seems a little OTT :-)

However this would be a liquid, not a solid.

Etch glass? I don't think so - you're probably thinking of hydrofluoric
acid.

That stuff is seriously *BAD NEWS*.

--
Rusty