Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Potatoes

Picked our first new potatoes yesterday for Sunday lunch, one plant,
just enough for two. The variety was new to me, SWMBO decided to try a
variety called Rocket.
Certainly very early, but flavour was insipid, I don't think we'll be
trying them again.
Regards
Don, Oswestry
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2010 12:30, Donwill wrote:
Picked our first new potatoes yesterday for Sunday lunch, one plant,
just enough for two. The variety was new to me, SWMBO decided to try a
variety called Rocket.
Certainly very early, but flavour was insipid, I don't think we'll be
trying them again.
Regards
Don, Oswestry

I dug up a couple of roots of new potatoes the other day, variety
"Daisy". They were very tasty. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be
earlies though, but they were certainly big enough to treat as such.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2010 11:52, David in Normandy wrote:
On 07/06/2010 12:30, Donwill wrote:
Picked our first new potatoes yesterday for Sunday lunch, one plant,
just enough for two. The variety was new to me, SWMBO decided to try a
variety called Rocket.
Certainly very early, but flavour was insipid, I don't think we'll be
trying them again.
Regards
Don, Oswestry

I dug up a couple of roots of new potatoes the other day, variety
"Daisy". They were very tasty. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be
earlies though, but they were certainly big enough to treat as such.

The row of Arran Pilots are not far behind, I'm looking forward to them
as the flavour in the past has been superb. Probably have to wait for
another two weeks or so.
Don
Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:30:55 +0100, Donwill
wrote:

Picked our first new potatoes yesterday for Sunday lunch, one plant,
just enough for two. The variety was new to me, SWMBO decided to try a
variety called Rocket.
Certainly very early, but flavour was insipid, I don't think we'll be
trying them again.
Regards
Don, Oswestry

Oh dear, Don. I cringe when I hear Rocket mentioned. I grew them
once and never again. In my experience, prone to slugs and quite
tasteless.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Picked our first new potatoes yesterday for Sunday lunch, one plant,
just enough for two. The variety was new to me, SWMBO decided to try a
variety called Rocket.
Certainly very early, but flavour was insipid, I don't think we'll be
trying them again.
Regards
Don, Oswestry

Oh dear, Don. I cringe when I hear Rocket mentioned. I grew them
once and never again. In my experience, prone to slugs and quite
tasteless.

Pam in Bristol

I have grown them for the last 3 years. 2008 and 2009 were superb. We
were delighted with flavour and colour. This year, however, we wandered
off to Brittany for a week in early May and returned to find about 30%
of them laid low (fatally so) by a frost which had been unexpectedly
sever in N. Dorset (-4.8C). My Foremost have been totally unaffected so
I guess Rocket will be relegated to my "never again unless you can
guarantee no frost" list. FYI I always grow first earlies in large pots.
This may not be wise!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Picked our first new potatoes yesterday for Sunday lunch, one plant,
just enough for two. The variety was new to me, SWMBO decided to try a
variety called Rocket.
Certainly very early, but flavour was insipid, I don't think we'll be
trying them again.
Regards
Don, Oswestry

Oh dear, Don. I cringe when I hear Rocket mentioned. I grew them
once and never again. In my experience, prone to slugs and quite
tasteless.

Pam in Bristol

No probs with slugs, probably not flavoursome enough for them :-) .
SWMBO says she will sauté them with plenty of garlic or possibly add
them to a lamb kleftiko.
Don
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
Oh dear, Don. I cringe when I hear Rocket mentioned. I grew them
once and never again. In my experience, prone to slugs and quite
tasteless.

How odd. Early in the season I planted 3 or 4 crops (actually, when I say
'I', I think it was Nick and the kids!) in old grobags in the coldframe, and
although they all germinated fine, each row got munched through almost as
soon as it was showing, except for the rocket. Which is still growing now,
and I think it's just gone to seed (but the kids and chickens still like it)
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
Oh dear, Don. I cringe when I hear Rocket mentioned. I grew them
once and never again. In my experience, prone to slugs and quite
tasteless.

Oops, obv should read more carefully and not glance at things - obv you mean
potatoes called Rocket (which I think we tried for the first time this
year!) not /rocket/

*blush*
It's morning, I get confused easily. :-(
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Jun 2010 09:59:41 GMT, wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
Oh dear, Don. I cringe when I hear Rocket mentioned. I grew them
once and never again. In my experience, prone to slugs and quite
tasteless.

Oops, obv should read more carefully and not glance at things - obv you mean
potatoes called Rocket (which I think we tried for the first time this
year!) not /rocket/

*blush*
It's morning, I get confused easily. :-(

LOL. Easily done!

Pam in Bristol