Old 22-07-2010, 11:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

On Jul 23, 4:54 am, "Wallace" wrote:

bug zapper. turn it on at night, with other lights off.

I've heard that mozzies are attracted to CO2 being breathed out, and
not to the light in a bug zapper. Try a bugzapper with a CO2 source.
Old 22-07-2010, 11:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 3:11 am, "john hamilton" wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Kill it with a laser zapper:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/03/0...squito-zapper/
Old 22-07-2010, 11:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Buffalo" wrote in message

john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly
at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Try one of those bug bombs that they sell. Some just need water added and
then you set them down and vacate the premises for the required time
(usually stated on the package). This will also take care of many other
pests also.
Buffalo

Interesting, as 'buffalo gnats' AKA blackfly (simuliidae), pack a much worse
bite than mosquitos and are every bit as sneaky. Not safe to go into garden
at dusk in the summer at all.

Old 22-07-2010, 11:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"john hamilton" wrote:

A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

You have a chance if you have light colored walls and ceiling, which
make them more visible when they land. But if your room is wood paneled
or darkly painted, you'll never find them. Fly paper near your head is
probably the best choice.
--
- Billy

Yep, I'll second that: the only bedroom wall for me is smooth and painted
white. Even then the buggers are so thin you don't know they are there
until you turn the light off and, shortly after, hear the whine in your ear.
Turn it back on and they vanish instantly.

They zero in on CO2, but I've also heard they like sweaty feet too. I doubt
if they would be enticed by either light or flypaper: on the contrary, they
hide till it gets dark. When you do try to swat them, come from behind or v
slowly from above, with something wet. Or, if you don't mind the noise, a
vacuum cleaner with the 'behind the sofa' attachment on is favourite. Get
them first time or you will be up all night.

The ones that sit with their back legs up and the body at an angle to the
surface are the malaria carrying ones, and, yes, we do have them in the UK.

Old 23-07-2010, 12:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:41:25 +0100, Ian B wrote:

Or, better still, actually *on* your head. A night cap made from
flypaper. And lined with aluminium foil (for those of a paranoid
disposition).

Flypaper bedclothes work very well, but can be a bit sticky in warm
weather.

Well, there's no flies on you.

Old 23-07-2010, 12:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:22:59 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Jul 23, 4:54 am, "Wallace" wrote:

bug zapper. turn it on at night, with other lights off.

I've heard that mozzies are attracted to CO2 being breathed out, and not
to the light in a bug zapper. Try a bugzapper with a CO2 source.

Or attach a bug zapper to your forehead, or to the front of the flypaper
hat with aluminium foil lining.

Old 23-07-2010, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Spamlet" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"john hamilton" wrote:

[...]

Ours are supposed to be carrying equine encephalitis. Anyway the skeeter
season is almost over here. To the best of my knowledge mosquitos are
attracted by CO2 and water vapor. We have light colored walls and
ceiling, and when we flip on the light, skeeters usually land somewhere.
Ours are pretty visible, and a judicious swing of a fly swatter is all
that it takes to bring them down.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 23-07-2010, 02:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

john hamilton wrote:
"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message
On 22/07/2010 16:11, john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

we get just the one or possibly two bites between us, per night. The are
very itchy and swell into a red blob. The remain itchy for two or three
days. That seems just like a mosquito bite to me. Would fleas or bed bugs
not tend to bite with a lot more smaller bites?

Bedbugs are a possibility, particularly if you have been traveling recently.

Look also to spiders. Here are some photos comparing bedbug to spider
bites:

http://www.badspiderbites.com/

gloria p
Old 23-07-2010, 03:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Spamlet wrote:
"Buffalo" wrote in message

john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly
at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Try one of those bug bombs that they sell. Some just need water added and
then you set them down and vacate the premises for the required time
(usually stated on the package). This will also take care of many other
pests also.
Buffalo

Interesting, as 'buffalo gnats' AKA blackfly (simuliidae), pack a much worse
bite than mosquitos and are every bit as sneaky. Not safe to go into garden
at dusk in the summer at all.

sod all blackfly this year (aphids)

Most insects decimated by winter I think. And wrens too :-(
Old 23-07-2010, 04:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote:

the female mosquito only bites the once.

Who told you that?

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Old 23-07-2010, 04:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Aardvark wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:22:59 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Jul 23, 4:54 am, "Wallace" wrote:

bug zapper. turn it on at night, with other lights off.

I've heard that mozzies are attracted to CO2 being breathed out, and not
to the light in a bug zapper. Try a bugzapper with a CO2 source.

Or attach a bug zapper to your forehead, or to the front of the flypaper
hat with aluminium foil lining.

I have found one of the most effective solutions is to get ****ed before
bed, then take a long bath in Scotch whisky, followed by a roll in a
sand pit. When the little muthas bite during the night they suck up all
the whisky, get argumentative and kill each other by throwing the grains
of sand.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus
Old 23-07-2010, 05:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Jul 23, 4:54 am, "Wallace" wrote:

bug zapper. turn it on at night, with other lights off.

I've heard that mozzies are attracted to CO2 being breathed out, and
not to the light in a bug zapper. Try a bugzapper with a CO2 source.

not needed. The zapper with the black light works just fine.

Old 23-07-2010, 08:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On 23 July, 04:11, Oldus Fartus
wrote:
harry wrote:
the female mosquito only bites the once.

Who told you that?

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

It bites & goes away & lays eggs. It may then repeat the cycles. It
only needs bllod for egg laying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquit...bits_of_adults
Old 23-07-2010, 09:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"Buffalo" wrote in message

john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly
at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Try one of those bug bombs that they sell. Some just need water added and
then you set them down and vacate the premises for the required time
(usually stated on the package). This will also take care of many other
pests also.
Buffalo

Interesting, as 'buffalo gnats' AKA blackfly (simuliidae), pack a much
worse bite than mosquitos and are every bit as sneaky. Not safe to go
into garden at dusk in the summer at all.

Especially during a stampede.

Old 23-07-2010, 09:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2010 17:37, Aardvark wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:22:11 +0100, Vortex7 wrote:

Olde fashioned flypaper's, do they still exist?...

Flypaper's what?

Get em from Robert Dyas (or indeed probably lots of other places).

Whoooooossssssshhhhhhhhh!!!1!!!!11!!!1!

Yup that went so far over his head, not only did it not make a parting,
there wasn't enough draught to disturb the flight path's of the mosquito's

:-)