Old 30-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered User

Default Help to ID garden shrub?

Hello one and all,

My very first post on this forum (took me a little while to figure out how to do that!) and I was wondering if anyone could help ID this shrub? I was wondering if it was a cotoneaster (a number of which are now considered non-native invasives plant species) or something else. The reason I don't think it is a cotoneaster is that the leaves are alternate not opposite, but my garden plant ID skills are fairly poor! Another suggestion was privet honeysuckle, but the leaves are the wrong shape and the plant was more waxy and less privet like. Please help!!

Thanks,
Miss C
Attached Thumbnails
Help to ID garden shrub?-shrub.jpg   Help to ID garden shrub?-shrub2.jpg
Old 30-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss C View Post
The reason I don't think it is a cotoneaster is that the leaves are alternate not opposite
Excellent pictures, and we can see that actually the leaves are opposite. Looks like cotoneaster to me.
Old 30-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered User

Oops what I meant to say is that the leaves of this shrub are opposite but the cotoneasters I'm concerned about (and most of them in general as far as I can tell) have alternate leaves. For instance horizontalis:
Attached Thumbnails
Help to ID garden shrub?-cotoneaster-horizontalis.jpg
Old 30-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss C View Post
Oops what I meant to say is that the leaves of this shrub are opposite but the cotoneasters I'm concerned about (and most of them in general as far as I can tell) have alternate leaves. For instance horizontalis:
Have you considered Coprosma?
Old 30-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Have you considered Coprosma?
No I hadn't, I really don't know much about garden planting! There are lots of Coprosma, not sure which one it would be, any ideas? Are regularly used in the UK as shrubs?

Old 30-07-2010, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2010 12:14, Miss C wrote:
Hello one and all,

My very first post on this forum (took me a little while to figure out
how to do that!) and I was wondering if anyone could help ID this shrub?
I was wondering if it was a cotoneaster (a number of which are now
considered non-native invasives plant species) or something else. The
reason I don't think it is a cotoneaster is that the leaves are
alternate not opposite, but my garden plant ID skills are fairly poor!
Another suggestion was privet honeysuckle, but the leaves are the wrong
shape and the plant was more waxy and less privet like. Please help!!

Hi, Welcome to uk.rec.gardening.

It looks like Lonicera nitida.