Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Philip

Default Help with ID of tree / shrub

I pass this tree / shrub regularly. And I would like to learn more about
it. Like its name would be a good starting point. With that in mind, I put
together a little photo page :

http://www.esher.nildram.co.uk/philip/whattree.htm

The shape of the fruits and their arrangement made me think of Paulownia
tomentosa, but on reading it would seem that the Paulowinia has fluffy seeds
to be carried by the wind. While the seeds on 'my' tree are between 0.7cm
and 1.5cms long and up to 0.5 cm wide. So definately not dispersed by the
wind.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can point me in the right
direction.

Many thanks

Phil

Old 05-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Sacha

Charlie Pridham5/3/04 9:26

"Philip" wrote in message
. ..
I pass this tree / shrub regularly. And I would like to learn more about
it. Like its name would be a good starting point. With that in mind, I

put
together a little photo page :

http://www.esher.nildram.co.uk/philip/whattree.htm

The shape of the fruits and their arrangement made me think of Paulownia
tomentosa, but on reading it would seem that the Paulowinia has fluffy

seeds
to be carried by the wind. While the seeds on 'my' tree are between 0.7cm
and 1.5cms long and up to 0.5 cm wide. So definately not dispersed by the
wind.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can point me in the right
direction.

Many thanks

Phil

Right up to the last pic I was certain its a Paulowinia tomentosum but the
seed in the pods of these is fine almost dust like, there are however more
than one species and I have only ever seen P. tomentosum. My money would be
on one of these, especially as it does not seem as big a tree as I would
expect P. tomentosum to be at flowering size.
--

Charlie, I wonder if you did see the very last pic? The seeds are quite
large and there are only two to each pod. What I think you're seeing as

Old 06-03-2004, 04:31 AM
Rod

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:30:37 -0000, "Philip"
wrote:

I pass this tree / shrub regularly. And I would like to learn more about
it. Like its name would be a good starting point. With that in mind, I put
together a little photo page :

http://www.esher.nildram.co.uk/philip/whattree.htm

The shape of the fruits and their arrangement made me think of Paulownia
tomentosa, but on reading it would seem that the Paulowinia has fluffy seeds
to be carried by the wind. While the seeds on 'my' tree are between 0.7cm
and 1.5cms long and up to 0.5 cm wide. So definately not dispersed by the
wind.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can point me in the right
direction.

Many thanks

Phil

Hmmm?..........scratches head in vain. Going to the books.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Old 06-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Charlie Pridham5/3/04 9:26

"Philip" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

My bad English (again!), I meant that the seeds of P tomentosum are small
fine, I agree the picture shows big seeds so it can not be P. tomentosum, I
was just wondering if the other species of Paulownia may have larger seeds.
The pods in the picture look so like Paulownia, I collect seed ever year,
sowed them last week. It never looks possible that such big seedlings can
appear so quickly from such fine seed! :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Charlie Pridham5/3/04 5:32

snip
The pods in the picture look so like Paulownia, I collect seed ever

year,
sowed them last week. It never looks possible that such big seedlings

can
appear so quickly from such fine seed! :~)

--

Ray is convinced, like you and I are, that this is a Paulownia, the growth
habit, the bark, the seed pods all point to that but not to P. tomentosa.

like
and how large the leaves are, if he's ever seen them. I've tried Googling
(though not extensively) for pics of Paulownia seeds and will try again
later.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

There are 6 species listed in the current plant finder (including
tomentosum) but I don't know anything about them! So I will be interested in
anything you discover.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Charlie Pridham5/3/04 5:32

snip

Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Philip

Many thanks for all contributions.

I just tried breaking one of the 'seed' things in half and it is brittle and
dark brown all the way through. In short it does not look like there is
much life in it.

This tree is in a pot and is located in Central London and would have been
baked by last summers weather. I am wondering if this is in fact a
Paulowinia but one which produced seed pods with no seeds in. Maybe it
produced infertile seed pods because of the heat and drought conditions it
experienced last summer.

Phil

Old 06-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Sacha

Philip6/3/04 8:06
$0$1165$
et

Many thanks for all contributions.

I just tried breaking one of the 'seed' things in half and it is brittle and
dark brown all the way through. In short it does not look like there is
much life in it.

This tree is in a pot and is located in Central London and would have been
baked by last summers weather. I am wondering if this is in fact a
Paulowinia but one which produced seed pods with no seeds in. Maybe it
produced infertile seed pods because of the heat and drought conditions it
experienced last summer.

Phil

If it's not a Paulownia, I'm going to be fascinated to find out what it is.
If and when you see leaves and flowers, do let us know what they look like.
I've emailed an American techno site asking if they'll be kind enough to
take a look and give an opinion. All these places are always so busy that
I'm not holding my breath but maybe, just maybe........
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk