Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone work this out please?

I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can get it
in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45 delivered,
however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

Now I dont know how much is in these big bags but wondered if I needed 2 big
bags would it be cheaper buying it from B&Q rather than the builders bag
full from the local garden shop.

My only problem is the garden centre stuff is a little on the sandy side.

Thanks folks

Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Sep, 02:04, "Ben Short" wrote:
I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can get it
in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45 delivered,
however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

Now I dont know how much is in these big bags but wondered if I needed 2 big
bags would it be cheaper buying it from B&Q rather than the builders bag
full from the local garden shop.

My only problem is the garden centre stuff is a little on the sandy side.

Thanks folks

Insufficient information.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ben Short" wrote in message
I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can get it
in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45 delivered,
however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

Now I dont know how much is in these big bags but wondered if I needed 2
big bags would it be cheaper buying it from B&Q rather than the builders
bag full from the local garden shop.

My only problem is the garden centre stuff is a little on the sandy side.

Thanks folks

One of those jumbo bags is about 850 kg (see
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Sharp-Sand/invt/220081 ) which in the case of sand
would equate to a bit over 1 cubic metre (1000 litres). At £45 per bag this
works out at £5.62 per 125 litres compared to B&Q's £6.70.

HTH
R.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Sep, 08:32, "Ragnar" wrote:
"Ben Short" wrote in message

I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can get it
in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45 delivered,
however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

Now I dont know how much is in these big bags but wondered if I needed 2
big bags would it be cheaper buying it from B&Q rather than the builders
bag full from the local garden shop.

My only problem is the garden centre stuff is a little on the sandy side.

Thanks folks

One of those jumbo bags is about 850 kg (seehttp://www.wickes.co.uk/Sharp-Sand/invt/220081) which in the case of sand
would equate to a bit over 1 cubic metre (1000 litres). *At £45 per bag this
works out at £5.62 per 125 litres compared to B&Q's £6.70.

HTH
R.

Are you mad? Sand is much denser than compost, you can't equate the
two.
Why is he putting horse manure in his bed?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Short View Post
I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can get it
in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45 delivered,
however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

Now I dont know how much is in these big bags but wondered if I needed 2 big
bags would it be cheaper buying it from B&Q rather than the builders bag
full from the local garden shop.

My only problem is the garden centre stuff is a little on the sandy side.

Thanks folks
It's a little difficult to answer the question if you don't know how much is in the big bags ;-)

A litre is 1000cc, ie 10cm x 10cm x10cm. If you can find out the dimensions of the big bag, you can work out the comparison easily.
__________________

Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Harry. Cubic capacity = volume not weight.

Think a cubic metre of feathers and a cubic metre of sand. Which do you get
most of?

Kind regards

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 02:04:46 +0100, "Ben Short"
wrote:

I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can get it
in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45 delivered,
however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

There's a report in the Lancet that some poor old chap caught
Legionnaire's disease from his compost heap.
He was using a trowel too.
He's recovered, luckily.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ben Short
writes
I need to fill a raised bed area with compost or horse manure. I can
get it in the builders bags, the big ones used for sand etc, for £45
delivered, however B&Q do a bag of compost which is 125 litres for £6.70.

Now I dont know how much is in these big bags but wondered if I needed
2 big bags would it be cheaper buying it from B&Q rather than the
builders bag full from the local garden shop.

A "jumbo bag" is around 1 cubic meter, or 1000 litres, which would make
the garden centre stuff cheaper. If you have a use for the jumbo bags
(e.g. as compost bins) the balance tilts further - B&Q sell jumbo bags
at several pounds each.

My only problem is the garden centre stuff is a little on the sandy side.

Do you mean there's a little sand left over from the previous use of the
jumbo bag, or has the garden centre product been intentionally mixed
with sand?

Thanks folks

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

On 3 Sep, 08:32, "Ragnar" wrote:

"Ben Short" wrote in message

[...]

Why is he putting horse manure in his bed?- Hide quoted text -

Exactly. And your question is stupid. You don't specify by weight or
by volume.
A big bag now contains 800Kg of sand. But the older ones contained
1000Kg. Who knows how much peat it contains.
Any answer is therefor guess work.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-03 18:10:11 +0100, harry said:
snip

Exactly. And your question is stupid. You don't specify by weight or
by volume.
A big bag now contains 800Kg of sand. But the older ones contained
1000Kg. Who knows how much peat it contains.
Any answer is therefor guess work.

It's absolutely unnecessary to talk in this fashion to people seeking help
and advice. You may know everything - you certainly give the appearance
of thinking that you do - but others come here to chat, discuss, learn,
pass on information - they always have and blowhard posters like you
permitting, always will. If you know it all already I can't imagine why
you bother with the rest of us who still feel we have things to learn and
information to exchange. Alan Titchmarsh may be looking for someone to
tell him where he's going wrong......

Very good!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Exactly. And your question is stupid. You don't specify by weight or
by volume.
A big bag now contains 800Kg of sand. But the older ones contained
1000Kg. Who knows how much peat it contains.
Any answer is therefor guess work.

The OP has stated in all but name that he/she does not understand the
situation and your arrogance and poor spelling do not help.

Part_No
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
The compost at B&Q is usually good quality so why not use a mixture of
the two?

The trials on beechgrove garden showed an immense improvement in
geraniums and potatoes in a barrel yield when grown in B & Q compost
compared to peat free and 2 other composts so B & Q must be pretty good.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Can anyone please tell me the name of this plant please pindetti Garden Photos 1 11-07-2012 02:28 AM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Can anyone offer me any cardiocrinum giganteum bulblets,please,please? keith ;-\) United Kingdom 3 14-09-2005 12:07 AM
Anyone know where I can get clay? several sources out there... adavisus Ponds 0 08-03-2004 07:12 AM
Can Just Me Koi come out of Time Out? Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 9 26-04-2003 06:32 PM