Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wearing poppoes

I thought it was a bit OTT last night on Strictly, that they all wore
poppies, even the dancers. They must have had them very securely sewn
on. A pin would have been a bit too risky!

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote in
:

I thought it was a bit OTT last night on Strictly, that they all wore
poppies, even the dancers. They must have had them very securely sewn
on. A pin would have been a bit too risky!

Pam in Bristol

This might have been vaguely on topic if the poppy was a real poppy.
Only joking.
Joking aside, IMO everybody who has a conscience should remember why we are
all still free, and wear that poppy with pride.

In a few years time nobody will remember 11/11. because its not in our
lifetime. Winston and all the lost heroes of 2 world wars will no doubt be
in the history lessons when we and a couple more generations have passed.

A pin would have been a bit too risky!
Indeed.

Baz

Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 7, 12:56*pm, Baz wrote:
Pam Moore wrote :

I thought it was a bit OTT last night on Strictly, that they all wore
poppies, even the dancers. *They must have had them very securely sewn
on. *A pin would have been a bit too risky!

Pam in Bristol

This might have been vaguely on topic if the poppy was a real poppy.
Only joking.
Joking aside, IMO everybody who has a conscience should remember why we are
all still free, and wear that poppy with pride.

In a few years time nobody will remember 11/11. because its not in our
lifetime. Winston and all the lost heroes of 2 world wars will no doubt be
in the history lessons when we and a couple more generations have passed.

A pin would have been a bit too risky!
Indeed.

Baz

Well apart from missing an 11, it is the 11th hour of the 11day of the
11th month,
Popy day isn't just about the 2 World wars, it also remembers all
those who have given their lives in all the conflicts that we have
been involved in.
I was glad to see the dancers with their poppies, as with the news
readers, presenters etc wearing them, some a bit early but then it
serves as a reminder to viewers to get theirs.
Just be thankfull that Flanders fields were filled with poppies and
not thistles.
David
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2010 18:21, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 7, 12:56 pm, wrote:
Pam wrote :

[...]

I have found these poppies very durable. I bought mine over 5 years ago
,still going strong, so I have not needed to buy another since!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I hope you are proud of that.

And the freedom that others have made to enable you to do such a thing.

Disgusted Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 07/11/2010 18:21, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 7, 12:56 pm, wrote:
Pam wrote
:

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:56:14 GMT, Baz wrote:

In a few years time nobody will remember 11/11. because its not in our
lifetime. Winston and all the lost heroes of 2 world wars will no doubt
be in the history lessons when we and a couple more generations have
passed.

It's already been said that Memorial Day is not just about the two
world wars but to remember all those that have laid down their life
for us. Something that is still going on in Iraq, Afganistan and else
where.

I watched the programme "The First World War from Above" last night.
They didn't pussy foot around the facts quite as much as previous
programmes on the WWI have done. The aerial pictures really showed
the destruction. Passion Dale in particular goes from a well defined
village to nothing but flooded shell craters and few blasted walls of
the church. The commentary and interviews say the biggest bits of
human remains that are found in many areas are just small splinters
of bone. They mention several hundred thousand killed in an area, the
cementaries only contain a few tens of thousands...

I wonder what will be made of the 11th hour of the 11th of November
next year: 11:00 11/11/11

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:56:14 GMT, Baz wrote:

Pam Moore wrote in
:

I thought it was a bit OTT last night on Strictly, that they all wore
poppies, even the dancers. They must have had them very securely sewn
on. A pin would have been a bit too risky!

Pam in Bristol

This might have been vaguely on topic if the poppy was a real poppy.
Only joking.
Joking aside, IMO everybody who has a conscience should remember why we are
all still free, and wear that poppy with pride.

In a few years time nobody will remember 11/11. because its not in our
lifetime. Winston and all the lost heroes of 2 world wars will no doubt be
in the history lessons when we and a couple more generations have passed.

A pin would have been a bit too risky!
Indeed.

I shall "wear my poppy with pride" and go to our local war memorial
ceremony. I had an uncle killed in the trenches who is fondly
remembered tho' I never knew him.
What I am criticising is the fact that just about everyone on BBC TV
is wearing one and I wonder whether they are given the choice. I heard
that Jon (or Peter) Snow has refused to wear one before 11th.

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes

Well apart from missing an 11, it is the 11th hour of the 11day of the
11th month,
Popy day isn't just about the 2 World wars, it also remembers all
those who have given their lives in all the conflicts that we have
been involved in.
I was glad to see the dancers with their poppies, as with the news
readers, presenters etc wearing them, some a bit early but then it
serves as a reminder to viewers to get theirs.

Exactly, it is a reminder for anyone who does not get the numerous
letters/draw tickets through the post, as I do, because I used to be a
British Legion member. I discovered this year that their book of
draw tickets now contains 11.....

Just be thankfull that Flanders fields were filled with poppies and
not thistles.
David

Yes, it could be a nuisance having Goldfinches fluttering around our
lapels.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

I belong to two theatres and a few years back one presented "Oh what a
lovely war". I took part in it and the scenes of the trenches were shown on
a back drop. It is one of the most exhausting plays I have ever been in and
we were all drained by the final scene. We didn't do a final curtain, we
just walked off with our cloaks over our shoulders. There was no applause at
the end.

For one show we found some of the WW1 Widows and gave them priority
treatment and gave them the front rows. Even in the dark, and you can't see
much when you are on stage, we saw the odd handkerchief come up to the eyes.

WWII was not much better and since then we have had a continuation of
conflicts. In fact I think it is 1966 which is the only year since the end
of WWII which has not lost a member of the armed forces.

The saddest sight in this country? The Armed Forces Memorial at the
Arboretum at Alrewas. Not the names of those killed in action since the end
of WWII, but the blank panels in the walls
....................................... waiting for names to be carved into
them. Hundreds of square feet of blank walls :-((

Buy a poppy and wear it with pride.

And buy one each year.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We've put the RBL logo on our website and clicking on that directs
people to their web site where they can donate, if they wish to do so.
Anyone with a web site can do that.
--

Your earlier mention of this, prompted me in to some extra action this
year.

As my website is not really geared up for linking - I have gone down the
selling poppies route instead.
Sainsburys - Nantwich, is my pitch for tomorrow morning (:-)

Anyone can volunteer likewise.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2010 09:32, 'Mike' wrote:
I hope you are proud of that.

And the freedom that others have made to enable you to do such a thing.

Disgusted Mike

Well Mike, I think that having served in the armed forces myself and
having 2 lads both of whom have served in Iraq and Afghanistan I reckon
I can make a tongue in cheek post.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 08/11/2010 09:32, 'Mike' wrote:
I hope you are proud of that.

And the freedom that others have made to enable you to do such a thing.

Disgusted Mike

Well Mike, I think that having served in the armed forces myself and
having 2 lads both of whom have served in Iraq and Afghanistan I reckon I
can make a tongue in cheek post.

Well if that's your sense of humour ................................

Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:18:02 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've put the RBL logo on our website and clicking on that directs
people to their web site where they can donate, if they wish to do so.

I'd want to have a good look at the finances of the RBL to ensure
they are not another of these big corporate "charities"...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Moonraker
writes

I have found these poppies very durable. I bought mine over 5 years ago
,still going strong, so I have not needed to buy another since!

That's excellent! If everyone did that and just made a donation, it
would save the infinitesimal cost of the poppy.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet
writes
In article ,
says...

In message
,
Dave Hill writes

Just be thankfull that Flanders fields were filled with poppies and
not thistles.
David

Yes, it could be a nuisance having Goldfinches fluttering around our
lapels.

I think it would be lovely :-)

Janet

They have a faintly irritating tweet, but they are very attractive.

Come to think of it, I know women like that...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply