Old 27-11-2010, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snow

woke up to an inch in Leicestershire this morning.
Not mega but enough ;-)
I don't live where the roads are gritted. I'm too far from a bus route to
make it worth their while.

Old 27-11-2010, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
woke up to an inch in Leicestershire this morning.
Not mega but enough ;-)
I don't live where the roads are gritted. I'm too far from a bus route to
make it worth their while.

Let's hope it's not like 1962 :-((

I was in Leicester, Humberstone to be exact, when we had a frost on Boxing
Day, followed by snow, followed by snow and the winter of 1962/3 is now
history. The temperature didn't go above freezing until Easter!!

Froze up at home. Burst pipes :-((

Ice on the inside of the windows :-((

Fingers crossed it isn't like that again

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 28-11-2010, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes
woke up to an inch in Leicestershire this morning.
Not mega but enough ;-)
I don't live where the roads are gritted. I'm too far from a bus route to
make it worth their while.

We have a similar situation here.. Yet are expected to pay the same
council taxes as those who have roads gritted. The council refuses to
grit to our community stating the population base is too low. As is
often the case in very rural areas much of the population is older
rather than younger than average. They have removed any bus service; our
village is situated in a dip in the rolling hills hence any movement has
to be by car and they don't grit the roads which currently are like ice
rinks. Parish Council, which has protested vehemently at no grit (nor
grit bins made available) is considering either reducing the precept for
the village or recommending a boycott of the council tax. Should be
interesting.... I bet we get our roads gritted!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 28-11-2010, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
We have a similar situation here.. Yet are expected to pay the same
council taxes as those who have roads gritted. The council refuses to
grit to our community stating the population base is too low. As is
often the case in very rural areas much of the population is older
rather than younger than average. They have removed any bus service; our
village is situated in a dip in the rolling hills hence any movement has
to be by car and they don't grit the roads which currently are like ice
rinks. Parish Council, which has protested vehemently at no grit (nor
grit bins made available) is considering either reducing the precept for
the village or recommending a boycott of the council tax. Should be
interesting.... I bet we get our roads gritted!

We have a similar situation, although the road at the end is gritted,
because it leads to the army ranges (gritting stops at the access
point!). Our council does provide grit bins, and a few weeks ago I
followed a council lorry up a narrow lane, where it stopped at the
bottom and top of every hill and shovelled a pile of grit onto the verge
- I wondered why at the time 'cos it took me ages to get to a point
where he could let me past, but they obviously knew something!

Reckon you should suggest involving one of the tv investigation
programmes, they could really embarass the council. It seems that all
councils operate a town/rural policy despite us all paying the smae
council tax. It was very obvious yesterday as I drove into town. The
road was mostly clear, but with two lines of snow/slush down the middle
of the lanes. As soon as I reached to town boundary signs, before any
side roads, the whole road was clear!
--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 28-11-2010, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote rg...
Gopher says...
[...]

A friend lives on a tight bend in Byfleet, Surrey, a bus route through a
housing estate (where some people drive too fast anyway). There was a yellow
grit bin on the bend and he used to be the one to shovel the grit onto the
roads as he didn't want any more accidents outside his house. A few months
ago he noticed the bin was empty so rang the Council and asked that they
provide a top up. Some hours later a Council grab lorry arrived so he went
outside to find them lifting the bin which they then carted away despite his
protestations, they then also took away the one further down the road.
The logic escapes me.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-11-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 28, 11:16*am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:40:38 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

snip

A friend lives on a tight bend in Byfleet, Surrey, a bus route through a
housing estate (where some people drive too fast anyway). There was a yellow
grit bin on the bend and he used to be the one to shovel the grit onto the
roads as he didn't want any more accidents outside his house. A few months
ago he noticed the bin was empty so rang the Council and asked that they
provide a top up. Some hours later a Council grab lorry arrived so he went
outside to find them lifting the bin which they then carted away despite his
protestations, they then also took away the one further down the road.
The logic escapes me.

Similar to my daughter complaining about yobs making a noise at a bus shelter
late at night. The bus shelter was removed.
--

Martin

Probably an E£x milkman who had been taught always to pick up the
empties.
David
Old 28-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
woke up to an inch in Leicestershire this morning.
Not mega but enough ;-)
I don't live where the roads are gritted. I'm too far from a bus route to
make it worth their while.
Buy a set of snow chains, job done.
Old 28-11-2010, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

I bet you don't! I worked for the council for 21 years until the end of
Oct 2010 - I took voluntary redundancy as I saw the cuts coming and their
proposals and didn't fancy it (not in the gritting dept, btw, I was in a
child protection team)
So I know what they're like..

It's even worse of an ice rink outside my house now. According to my
max/min thermometer outside it was -10C last night. You should see my poor
parsley (just to keep a little bit on topic) it's so flopped, both
varieties, I can't see that it can recover.
The chicken drinkers were solid ice 2 inches thick.
My kitchen was 5C this morning. I have a woodburner in my lounge only and
after 10 hours burning yesterday & today it was only up to 15C in my room.
Brrr.
Old 29-11-2010, 10:22 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post

Tell the council that many of the people in the village are elderly
and frail, and if they slip and break something, then the council will
be held responsible, individually and collectively, and will be sued.
Doubt whether it'll make any difference. We're on the outskirts of the city, so the main road gets gritted. But the pavements don't. It's OK on the side roads - you can walk on the road. But along the main road, the pavements are like ice, and there's continuous 40mph traffic alongside you.

The elderly are expected to stay indoors if it snows.
__________________
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Martin wrote:

I was surprised how many BMWs smashed into trees etc. when there was
a few inches of snow in Munich one winter when I was working there.

It's their well-vaunted rear-wheel drive innit?

Fine when you want the Ultimate Driving Machine, absolute rubbish when
there's a bit of snow!

--
Chris

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

I was surprised how many BMWs smashed into trees etc. when there was
a few inches of snow in Munich one winter when I was working there.

It's their well-vaunted rear-wheel drive innit?

Fine when you want the Ultimate Driving Machine, absolute rubbish when
there's a bit of snow!

--
Chris

I have a 5 Series BMW now, fine for comfort and reliability, but not a patch
on the Subaru Legacy Estate I had. That was a wonderful car. The trouble is
we do not have a Subaru Agent here on the Isle of Wight, if I wanted one I
would have to go to England :-((

One daughter is on her second Subaru Impreza and a daughter in law has one
and when there is a bit of snow my son borrows it :-)

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

It's even worse of an ice rink outside my house now. According to my
max/min thermometer outside it was -10C last night. You should see my
poor parsley (just to keep a little bit on topic) it's so flopped, both

This was the view from my nice warm office this afternoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7wIdN_HCc

Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Judith in France writes
Hah!!! You didn't tell me you had visited my garden today!!! We have
a ladder against an Acacia which was being pruned.

We have had 7 silver birch professionally felled, you should have seen
the damage to them, it was awful. When the snow has cleared, next
year maybe - I will post some pics. No more trees for us that are
flimsy, nothing survives here - only the strongest.

I would have grave misgiving with that ladder perched on that branch
like that/! To my eye it looks like if it fell it would land straight on
the greenhouse!!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article
,
Judith in France writes
Hah!!! You didn't tell me you had visited my garden today!!! We have
a ladder against an Acacia which was being pruned.

We have had 7 silver birch professionally felled, you should have seen
the damage to them, it was awful. When the snow has cleared, next
year maybe - I will post some pics. No more trees for us that are
flimsy, nothing survives here - only the strongest.

I would have grave misgiving with that ladder perched on that branch like
that/! To my eye it looks like if it fell it would land straight on the
greenhouse!!

Its actually quite a distance away, at least three ladder lengths. I started
putting lights on that tree but snow stopped play!

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article
,
Judith in France writes
Hah!!! You didn't tell me you had visited my garden today!!! We have
a ladder against an Acacia which was being pruned.

We have had 7 silver birch professionally felled, you should have seen
the damage to them, it was awful. When the snow has cleared, next
year maybe - I will post some pics. No more trees for us that are
flimsy, nothing survives here - only the strongest.

I would have grave misgiving with that ladder perched on that branch
like that/! To my eye it looks like if it fell it would land straight
on the greenhouse!!

Janet

SSSHHH! It has excellent potential for YHBF.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply