Old 20-12-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding birds

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

Robins are particularly tame, we fed these Robins during the
spring season with Blue Tits looking on who didn't have the nerve
to land on our hand but you could see them getting frustrated by
the Robins feasting on cheese.

Stephen.

Stephen, 'in general', I prefer animals and birds to humans ;-))

When I was working I had a job to do in a house where there was a dog. A
barking dog which was to all intense their 'guard dog'. I wasn't in that
house long before the dog was on it's back having it's tum tickled. The
owners were not happy and had never seen it before ;-{{

Mike

I also prefere animals to people.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Old 20-12-2010, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

Robins are particularly tame, we fed these Robins during the
spring season with Blue Tits looking on who didn't have the nerve
to land on our hand but you could see them getting frustrated by
the Robins feasting on cheese.

Stephen.

Stephen, 'in general', I prefer animals and birds to humans ;-))

When I was working I had a job to do in a house where there was a dog. A
barking dog which was to all intense their 'guard dog'. I wasn't in that
house long before the dog was on it's back having it's tum tickled. The
owners were not happy and had never seen it before ;-{{

Mike

I also prefere animals to people.

Stephen.

You will like this series of photos then ;-))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TNVITBM...imals-Dog.html

--

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 20-12-2010, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I also prefere animals to people.

Stephen.

--http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce- Hide quoted text -

Depends on how you cook them.
Old 20-12-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In message
Dave Hill wrote:

I also prefere animals to people.

Stephen.

[snip]

Depends on how you cook them.

Indeed

Old 20-12-2010, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

I also prefer animals to people.

Stephen.

You will like this series of photos then ;-))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TNVITBM...imals-Dog.html

Arrh, what lovely little puppies you have.

Bet they are a handful now!

Stephen.

Old 20-12-2010, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

I also prefer animals to people.

Stephen.

You will like this series of photos then ;-))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TNVITBM...imals-Dog.html

Arrh, what lovely little puppies you have.

Bet they are a handful now!

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Not my dogs. I found the series of photos on the site I use.

Have had and trained dogs, but we are away cruising or on ex Service
Reunions and other meetings too much to have any animals.

Old 21-12-2010, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

I also prefer animals to people.

Stephen.

You will like this series of photos then ;-))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TNVITBM...imals-Dog.html

Arrh, what lovely little puppies you have.

Bet they are a handful now!

Not my dogs. I found the series of photos on the site I use.

Have had and trained dogs, but we are away cruising or on ex Service
Reunions and other meetings too much to have any animals.

Mike

Our Collie died three years ago, she was nearly 14 years old.
We still have no dog atm due to work commitments as it would not
be fair to have a pet dog left home alone all day.

Stephen.

Old 24-12-2010, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Turkey Vultures (in the Americas) have a highly developed sense of smell.
African and Indian vultures (not closely related to Turkey Vultures) rely
on keen sight.

(deliberately x posted)

Some wise person round here recently warned of the dangers of leaving
raisins etc. out for the wildlife,
as they were deadly dangers to cats if eaten by them.

Could this wise person or some other similar, give their opinion on any
possible danger of raisins to doggies if eaten, please ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-12-2010, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:59:20 -0000, "Pete"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Turkey Vultures (in the Americas) have a highly developed sense of smell.
African and Indian vultures (not closely related to Turkey Vultures) rely
on keen sight.

(deliberately x posted)

Some wise person round here recently warned of the dangers of leaving
raisins etc. out for the wildlife,
as they were deadly dangers to cats if eaten by them.

Could this wise person or some other similar, give their opinion on any
possible danger of raisins to doggies if eaten, please ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

'twas me. The danger of raisins to cats is well documented. My local
vet says that grapes, sultanas and raisins are also dangerous for dogs
but, as long as the dog gets to a vet quickly, it can usually be
treated more successfully than a cat, though the treatment is very
"aggressive". Other dangers for dogs are "human" chocolate, onions and
some nuts (though I can't remember which nuts are dangerous).

FWIW the vet also says that it's rare for a dog to get at grapes etc.,
outside and that, in general, it'll result from a bowl of "nibble
fruit" being left accessible indoors or being "deliberately" fed as
treats.

Hope that helps.

Old 25-12-2010, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

Some wise person round here recently warned of the dangers of leaving
raisins etc. out for the wildlife,
as they were deadly dangers to cats if eaten by them.

If your cat is as sensible as mine he will not eat raisins. He eats meat,
not fruit. If he did eat them, I doubt if it would harm him. But he
wouldn't eat raisins. Ever. Why would a cat do that?
Raisins are good for blackbirds. Never saw a cat eat raisins.
Tina

bt

Old 26-12-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Christina Websell
writes

"Pete" wrote in message

Some wise person round here recently warned of the dangers of leaving
raisins etc. out for the wildlife,
as they were deadly dangers to cats if eaten by them.

If your cat is as sensible as mine he will not eat raisins. He eats meat,
not fruit. If he did eat them, I doubt if it would harm him. But he
wouldn't eat raisins. Ever. Why would a cat do that?
Raisins are good for blackbirds. Never saw a cat eat raisins.

Cats are usually less daft than dogs, especially young ones.

Snopes says it's true that dried or fresh grapes can harm dogs:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Only you can know whether your dog is likely to eat birdfood.
--
Sue ]
Old 26-12-2010, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
wrote

How do I encourage the Thrush?

Probably not a good thing to do if it means encouraging it to the door.
The local cat population will soon realise there is easy sport to be
had.

--
Alan
Old 27-12-2010, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Darkside
writes
Snopes says it's true that dried or fresh grapes can harm dogs:

I think also it depends on the amount of grapes and the size of the dog.
My Dalmatians sometimes ate grapes and never had any adverse reaction. I
put grapes out for the birds once (the bruised fruit) and after they
fell on the ground both my ate them.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-12-2010, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Darkside
writes
Snopes says it's true that dried or fresh grapes can harm dogs:

I think also it depends on the amount of grapes and the size of the dog.
My Dalmatians sometimes ate grapes and never had any adverse reaction. I
put grapes out for the birds once (the bruised fruit) and after they fell
on the ground both my ate them.

Thanks for the Snopes link re dogs/grapes/raisins.

Janet is clearly correct - the amount -size factor is clearly overriding.
My Trixie has the occasional treat bit of a chocolate digestive and tweeny
piece of my festive mince pie.

No adverse reactions noted over the years !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 27-12-2010, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Darkside
writes
Snopes says it's true that dried or fresh grapes can harm dogs:

I think also it depends on the amount of grapes and the size of the dog.
My Dalmatians sometimes ate grapes and never had any adverse reaction. I
put grapes out for the birds once (the bruised fruit) and after they fell
on the ground both my ate them.

Thanks for the Snopes link re dogs/grapes/raisins.

Janet is clearly correct - the amount -size factor is clearly overriding.
My Trixie has the occasional treat bit of a chocolate digestive and tweeny
piece of my festive mince pie.

No adverse reactions noted over the years !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

When you say 'chocolate digestive and tweeny piece of my festive mince pie',
I take it you broke a piece off and gave it to Trixie ;-))) ????

You won't believe this but I can assure you it is true. I was in Central
Park a couple of months back whilst on a cruise up the East Coast of America
and Canada and we decided to have an Ice Cream, 'Ice Custard' as they call
it on that side of the Pond, and a rather large lady, with a very small dog
on a lead, was sitting on the next seat and saw us eating this ice cream.
She went and got one and she and the dog took turns to lick it :-((((

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Feeding birds Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 13-06-2008 04:58 PM
Feeding the birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 12:36 PM
Continual feeding of garden birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 05-05-2006 09:21 PM
When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 09-03-2006 03:32 PM
Slightly OT-Feeding Birds Joanne United Kingdom 41 30-10-2004 06:10 PM